Any Tricks to Choosing a Home Rack?

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by holdennutta, Jan 15, 2015.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I'm building a new house and they cablers are just starting to think about roughing stuff in so I need to think about enclosures.

Having never had to think about racks is there anything I should be aware of?

House has 15 data points around the place. I'm having each cable duplicated but not terminated for future expansion or redundancy for damage. (Original thread for spec out is here)

Networking will be stored in an under stairs room except for the NBN NTD thingo which will be on the wall in the garage due to fibre lead in constraints (so they tell me).

Would something like this be suitable?

- Server Edge 12RU wall mount cabinet.

- Alogic 24port Cat6 patch panel

- TP Link 24 port Gigabit smart switch (rackable)

Those aren't overly researched choices and can easily change but that sort of price range and capability seems appropriate for me.

Is there an advantage for home use of a managed switch vs a non-managed?

Cheers

2. looktall

looktall Working Class Doughnut

that cabinet is a swing frame cabinet, which in itself is not a problem.
    in fact they come in very handy, but you need to make sure you have room around the cabinet in order for it to actually be able to swing away from the wall.

if you don't need the swing frame feature you can probably save some money by getting a cabinet that is fixed.

you also need to be sure you have enough depth to fit a switch (the one you linked will fit just fine) and anything else you might like to put in there.

3. Renza

Renza Member

I have some clipsal cat6 patch panels. PM me if you're interested. Bound to be better than Alogic IMO.

Do you need a rack that big? What else are you putting inside? Consider getting a rack shelf for the router if there's no rack mount kit for it (not many do).

Managed switch gives you a lot more features, but most of them won't be used in the home. Main advantage is probably VLANs.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It's an under stairs void I've turned into a room so space probably won't be huge. Perhaps a better option will be a floor mount one which I can move around slightly? Not that I'll be able to move it much given it'll be patched into the wall...

I think that serveredge one is 600mm deep which I presume is okay for simple network parts. Unlikely to fit a rackable NAS or server in there though? Not that I'm likely to do that for a while - but expandability is nice.

Thanks for the offer, Renza. That switch I linked comes with a rack mounting kit. But I've not settled on anything yet. I'm still at the roughing out a plan stage. Rack that big is for expandability in future and easy of fitting inside. Plus, I should have the space...

Future bits to go inside could be a NAS or I might rack mount my mac mini server.

I'll probably skip the managed switch then as I don't even know what a VLAN is :p

In other news - cabler got back to me and is doing a 'cash price' of $40 a run to put a spare, unterminated cable in each run. I have 10 I'm wanting done. Certainly going to make some coin on that, he is!

5. Copie

Copie Member

If they havent put in the NTD yet, you are allowed to place the inside section of the NTD anywhere in the house so long as its within 20min of the outside box.

Also dont forget about ventilation, extraction fan in the roof space along with air vent in the bottom of the door should be enough to provide ventilation through the room so it doesnt start cooking gear.

6. Renza

Renza Member

That's a switch, not a router. You need to have a router between the NBN NTD and your switch as your ISP only gives you a single IP address.

That's pretty cheap IMO. I'd also just get them all terminated, it's going to cost more to get a cabler out to terminate an extra point rather than just doing it all now. Gives you more flexibility in case you need more than one point without needing to put a switch in each room.

7. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

No NTD yet. I presume my ISP of choice will install the NTD when I sign up? I literally know nothing about NBN other than I have no choice but to have it and I need to allow for a thing called a NTD :p (Well, maybe a little more than that, but not much!)

It's a stairs void so no option to extraction fan. I will set up an arduino temp monitor in the rack or near it to make sure temps don't sky rocket. At the moment the only thing in the rack will be the patch and switch gear. No immediate plans for NAS or computer to generate lots of heat.

Flipping typo makes me look like a noob :( Yes, that is definitely a switch.

You make a good point, though. Why not just pay a little more and terminate them?

Interesting. So the ISP supplied NBN gear doesn't include any routing capability? I might have to add a router to the list of crap to stuff in the rack :)

8. Copie

Copie Member

The ISP will coordinate with the installation contractor when its installed. You will have two boxes, one of the exterior of the premise (where its at on the garage is fine) and one on the interior. You have the option to have both placed where you want provided it still meets their guidelines.

9. Pugs

Pugs Member

then get a 6ru with glass door .. it will be more than enough don't need the hinge.. also as posted about just get them all terminated no.. saves you money in the long run.

as for the patch panel let your cabler provide it.. best practice is for the mechs, cable and patch panel be of the same brand..

10. Renza

Renza Member

The NBN gear is not supplied by the ISP, but by NBNco. Unless you opt for the ISP to sell you a router, all the NTD does is present you an ethernet port on which you may need to authenticate via PPPoE or get a direct IP connection depending on which ISP you go with. But in either case, a separate router is required if you want to have more than one device accessing the internet at a time.

11. kesawi

kesawi Member

12. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks guys, lots of good info.

Would there be an advantage to getting a stand alone floor rack?

Being patched into the wall there's not going to be much use in it for mobility. But it might make moving it small amounts to fit things easier?

I'm guessing there's not much mechanical strength in the connections of the cables to the back of the patch?

Also- has anyone used the Jaycar racks?

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=HB5182

Seems like a good price for swing frame. 610 deep.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  13. Pugs

Pugs Member

unless you have a Heavy ass server then no advantage at all.... .. Home networks.. Mostly Set and forget... Small Business ones yeah someone might change something once a week... Medium Business.. IT guy is doing stuff every couple of days, Big Corporate Networks racks and patch panels get worked on daily if not hourly..

Any cabler worth his salt will know how to leave slack for such things as rack movements and use the right types of things to ensure nothing snags..

I personally have a 12RU Swing mount at home.. (overkill) my server/pc sits under my desk.. I barely touch my rack .. cause set and forget...

14. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Thanks Pugs. I'll probably go with the 12U as well. Who knows what the future holds. Plus I have big hands. Need lots of space to move :p

I was just googling for a wired router to use between the NTD and the switch. Found the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite for $139. Then I saw their promo video and now I have to buy one. I've never laughed in a video about network gear before:

http://www.ubnt.com/edgemax/edgerouter-lite/

Though, knowing my luck I wont be able to use that with the NBN.

15. Pugs

Pugs Member

any router that can pull 100Mb/s through is what you want... you should be able to get one for like Under $60

16. Copie

Copie Member

Personally i would get the Asus RT-AC87U, gives you multiple wireless channels and they are easy to setup and work a treat.

17. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I kinda think I want to go with the Edgemax-Lite if I can find something that says it'll work on the NBN. From what I can tell most NBN resellers use ppoe auth and I haven't worked out yet if the Edgemax-lite does that.

Copie, router will be away from where I will run the APs so a combined wireless router/modem will be a disadvantage.

To be honest the fanciness of the Edgemax is a bit of an enticing challenge.

18. Renza

Renza Member

It does do PPPoE, but you have to set it up from the command line.

Be prepared to learn a little about NAT and firewall rules if you need to do stuff like port forwarding. It's not as simple as most consumer routers.

19. OP
    OP
    holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Hmm okay. I thought I had read somewhere that they had added GUI PPPoE config. Either way, I'm going to get the router suitably early to play with it as I'm under no illusions as to the complexity of it compared to anything I've used before.

This is my plan so far:

House is:
    5 bed, 2 lounge, 1 study, garage, under stairs void.

Each Bedroom: 2x cat6 outlets
    Study: 3x cat6
    Each Lounge: 3x Cat 6
    Garage: 2x cat6 where the NTD is planned
    Roof Space: 2x Cat6 (unsure what for at this point - wireless AP? PoE IP Cams?)

All ports exit in the stairs void.

Plan is NBN NTD is mounted on the garage wall and is wired back to understairs void which contains:

12U ServerEdge Swing Mount Rack: $319
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Server_Rack_Cabinets/Wall_Mount/52801-CBN-12RU-66WM

Patch Panel:
    aLogic 24 port: $79
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wired/Patch_Panels/56710-C6-PP-24-CM

24 Port Giga Switch:
    TP Link TL-SG1024: $129
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wired/Gigabit_Switches/27244-TL-SG1024

Router:
    Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite: $139
    http://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Networking_-_Wired/Routers/54049-ERLite-3

Wireless plan is to put my existing AirPort Extreme somewhere in one of the rooms which gives the best coverage.
    If that turns out to be less than ideal I might add in another wireless AP or a set of Ubiquity AP's.

20. Pugs

Pugs Member