Any updates on RetroTink?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Vanne, Dec 11, 2018.

1. badmofo

badmofo Member

Noice! I have a HD Retrovision cable (plus adapter) ready to rock for my SMD model 1, looking forward to hooking it up to the tink, then a HDMI -> VGA adapter to a 17" LG CRT monitor. Mad scientist stuff.

WuZMoT, elvis and greencamel65 like this.
  2. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

You sit back and look at the chain of cables/adapters/converters and question the sanity of your pursuit.
    Then you see that delicious image.

3. badmofo

badmofo Member

Well my tink showed up last night and I have mixed feelings about it so far. It looks to be nicely put together, though it seems like a fragile little thing so some port extenders will be in order if I get serious about it.

The output from my SMD looked incredible via a HD Retrovision cable -> HDMI to VGA adapter -> VGA CRT monitor. Amazingly good actually and no lag that I could detect.

My C64 also looked good but not great - quite a clear image but there was colour bleed in text and I noticed an ugly issue in California Games; messed up text at the top of the surfing event. Oddly the other events looked OK! That was via a good quality svideo cable and I'm not really sure where I go from there with a C64, something like this?

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Commodore-C...-2-8M-Cable-/323558990948?hash=item4b559e6464

The RBG cable I'd bought for my PS1 didn't work at all but I'm blaming the cable for that, it was cheap - can anyone recommend a good one? Via svideo to the tink the PS1 looked somewhat grim but I suspect I'm just used to my little Sony CRT telly (which is composite only) blurry enough to hide a multitude of sins. The tink's smoothing option came to the rescue though and it looked pretty amazing with that on - a bit cartoonish perhaps with smooth, rounded lines but nicely done.

More testing required but it's promising.

4. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

by rbg are you referring to YPbPr?

If so i seem to recall that the PS1 does not support this output, and that the best way to connect to the tink would be via a S-Video cable.

5. OP
    OP
    Vanne

Vanne Member

BM, I am the same mate, only tested with my PS2, which already has a really nice component cable into a sony ps3 gaming monitor. To be really honest, there was no real difference with image quality in this setup, sure I could use a few different smoothing options, but overall, no real difference between being plugged in to hdmi via the Tink, or just straight plugged in via the red green blue component cable.. that was rather disappointing, however, I REALY bought it for PS1, and I have yet to get around to test that as I have it packed up atm.. more testing required for me, so I cant really say anything about it at this stage.

6. badmofo

badmofo Member

Good lord you're right, where do I get these ideas? Sounds like I need one of these adapters - I already have the cable for my SMD:

https://www.hdretrovision.com/playstation/

7. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I found the benefits with PS2 to be dependent upon the game and it's effects used for graphical style. I believe the interlace 'combing' effect to be the culprit. The motion/contrast in some games makes this stand out much more.

Admittedly the Retrotink2X benefits for PS2 can be VERY subtle. If the display you are using already does a decent job processing the component input and the game you're playing doesn't have any strong post processing/motion effects that cause particularly obvious combing you could be forgiven for not seeing a benefit at all. The size of the display will affect perception of the quality too.

It's fairly established the PS2 component output isn't great. If you're pushing 480p out of it (line doubling or native title support) it still won't be that great. The larger the display is any improvement feels somewhat diminished. I played on a 55" LCD which is a pretty big stretch for 480p. Playing on a smaller display would make it 'seem' better I suppose

I personally think the PS1 looks great via svideo. The smooth filter is a must due to the enhanced sharpness of the PS1's dithering (blast that infernal dithering!) If you've ever played a PS1 game on a PS3 and disabled the smoothing/stretching etc options you'll know what to expect - GRAINYNESS
    I tested the PS1 with fewer games than the PS2 though.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
  8. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

my retrotink arrived yesterday, Really happy with how much better it functions compared to my old solution (a $10 ebay composite to hdmi).

I am however having issues with the composite connection on the retrotink, i just can not get a video output from it. I've tried SMS2 (modded with composite), SMD2, PS2 and also a wii. The retrotink works fine with s-video and component.

Has anyone else had the same issue ?

9. badmofo

badmofo Member

Composite works OK for me, I hope you didn't get a faulty one. I can't imagine your display would have anything to do with it but have you tried feeding it into something else?

10. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Works fine with the s-video at the same res and refresh. I'll try it on a different TV tonight and failing that i'll have to contact Mike Chi.

11. badmofo

badmofo Member

Still messing around with this thing and am pretty darn happy with it. As I mentioned the output from my SMD via a Retrovision HD cable is glorious, no concerns there. My C64's image via svideo didn't immediately rock my world but I'm coming around to it after some messing around with different VGA monitors and trying a few different VIC-II chips. The image is not as vibrant as my CRT TV via composite, but the clarity is impressive and the colours are really nice.

I've ordered a Retrovision adapter for my PS1 so I'm looking forward to trying that out. Next up will be sorting out some port savers, finding a way to cable manage the resulting mess, and turn the tink on and off easily. I'm currently unplugging the usb cable which is not OK.

My only real complaint with the tink so far is that it doesn't remember your selections on power off, so you have to fiddle around with the tiny buttons again to get back to svideo. Not a huge deal and maybe that can be sorted out with a firmware update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MrMaestro and elvis like this.
  12. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

Emailed mike about a 5 days ago in regards to the CVBS issue i'm having.

Started to get impatient so i fixed it myself.

[​IMG]

Vanne and WuZMoT like this.
  13. Grant

Grant Member

Nice work, was there any obvious damage on the PCB or did you just find it by continuity testing? Has anyone else had that issue?

14. greencamel65

greencamel65 Member

slight blackening around the signal wire of the cvbs port, went probing with a multi-meter and couldn't find it anywhere. I seemed to recall the creator in an interview stating that implementing a source switch would be difficult as the ports share the same signalling pins on the chip. Decided to just jump it over to the s video using a bent up old resistor leg to see what would happen and vola image. At this stage out came the soldering iron as its difficult to play retro games whilst holding a jump wire by hand!

Vanne likes this.