Any woodworkers?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

Hi guys, I've always wanted to have a play around with making/building a small cabinet, and with the kids and wife away this weekend I'm thinking I'll have a solid crack at it.

Anyone into woodworking, or can recommend a place in BNE to get some wood boards?
    Looking for something nicer than pine from Bunnings :)

2. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

3. broccoli

broccoli Member

There was a thread on woodworking (I think I killed it :()

4. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've thought about that, but they seem to dominated by retired or semi-retired folk, and I don't like strangers at the best of times... It would feel far to much like I was hanging out with my Dad's friends.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Love woodworking. Generally only do it to tie in to my other hobby (retro gaming), so I build things like shelving for consoles and TVs, arcade cabinets, and the like:

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1150924

What sort of wood are you after? There are a tonne of wood suppliers all around Brisbane and surrounding cities. Are you looking for something light and easy to work with, or going for a nice hardwood? And how are you going to finish it?

My plan in 2017 is to start doing small get togethers with people in my shed, mostly for younger nerds to learn woodworking and electronics skills.

I think Men's Shed is an amazing organisation, but like you I see it targeted more towards older guys. I'm keen to do something a bit more focused on people more in my demographic.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  6. broccoli

broccoli Member

Perhaps it depends on the shed, I went up there once to ask about something and there were (also) young guys there (I'd thought the same as you, but it wasn't the case when I went there that day)

7. OP
    OP
    Arch-Angel

Arch-Angel Member

So have had a mixed start today - have to go into work tomorrow, so I am thinking that I'll spend today getting set up for what I need, and then maybe starting the project next sat morning.

I have done a quick scouting run to bunnings and found some nice softwood boards (designed for furniture making).
    I think I'll go with these for now - if I don't royally screw it up, I might then rebuild in hardwood, learning from any mistakes I make.

I couldn't find any pocket hole jigs in bunnings though... only dowel jigs. I will have to do a little research on that first I think.

Man that would be epic. I've personally been a huge fan of your projects for quite a while - you were actually my inspiration for building a mame cab :)
    If you do get this off the ground I'll be there in a heartbeat. Would also be happy to pay/contribute/help too. Just let me know. (maybe you wanna see how this project of mine works out first!

8. broccoli

broccoli Member

They sell those at Carbatec (if you have that over there)

9. elvis

Ah, well, that's nice to know. :)

Money wise, I'm not looking to profit from the idea. It's purely about ideas/knowledge sharing. People can supply their own materials, but I'm happy to let folks use my tools, power, space and whatever else if it's small items like glue/nails/screws/solder they need to borrow.

Anyways, that's all thread hijack. And it's at least 3-4 months away (won't start until the weather cools down in 2017).

10. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I've thought similar, I've now got a house with a shed, but then I realised that I have no real idea how to meet people, and am terrible at teaching what limited skills I've got. The former part applies to going elsewhere as well. I don't enjoy situations where I don't know the people well.

Unfortunately, the average age in my Semi-Rural township is pushing 60, and the local mens shed is reflective of that.

Once I get network to the shed sorted, I'll be able to sit in there and youtube "how do I X" and get started on some of this stuff.

11. elvis

I'm kind of the opposite. I've got dozens of folks IRL begging me to teach them stuff (I blame my highly social wife), and I'm a far better teacher than tradesperson, so I may as well pass on the basics so others can get past the initial "where do I start?" hurdle and get better than me.

In the digital information sharing age, that works just as well for some people. :)

I follow a hell of a lot of makers on YouTube, including traditional woodworkers. Sometimes watching a video when you can't sleep late at night, or from the comfort of your air conditioned office when it's 37 degrees outside (like it was yesterday here in Brisbane) is a better option than sweating it out in some shed or where you can't use powertools at certain times of day.

12. BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

So I basically spend all of my "alone time" these days either on OCAU, watching teardown/maker vids on youtube, or mucking about in the dirt hole (garage) pulling stuff apart and putting it back together (sometimes).

I have about 20 hours of footage to edit so far. The channel will be called "Totes Pro Bro" and what I want it to be is a sort of combination of Chris (AvE), Dave, Clive, Techmoan, DiResta etc. electronics/teardown/maker vids, except done by a much less talented (and often slightly pissed) Aussie bloke in a tiny garage with basic tools and a basic lab. Tagline is "Totes Pro, learn as you go". With a good dose of Aussie vernacular and tongue planted firmly in cheek (I am actually reasonably pro in many of the disciplines I'm demonstrating), introduce and encourage people into some basic electronics/mechanics/maker/hacker tomfoolery. Should have some vids up soon.

Anyway, point of all that... yay Woodwork! :D :D

I'm building a super-budget timber workbench out of recycled materials including an old pine & steel bedhead/foot, scrap timber and scrap alu angle. It's now standing upright, straight, and (reasonably) level with its top on, just needs finishing touches like side and back panels to stop shit falling off and mount GPOs / lighting / hanging points for parts storage trays etc. Maybe some drawers under the top or at least a fascia to mount another couple of GPOs for power tools.
    Mate of mine is a sparky, we're going to wire it up with its own RCBO in case a tool or faulty piece of equipment (or yours truly) does naughty things.

I'll put up a project thread and post piccies for anyone interested.
    EDIT: Couple of shitty phone pics follow...

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

As a wise man once said... "she ain't pretty, but good enough for the girls I go out with".
    Need to clean up all that hardened foamy urethane glue. The big holes in the second pic are for nutserts to mount the fascia or drawer frame (they originally served as mount points for the side rails of the bedframe).
    Reckon I might also need to design a hutch with shelving for test gear etc. Have a look at that Akai sampling keyboard repair job in the background of the first pic... that'll take up the whole bench just by itself. :lol:

Enough hijack, how are you going with the cabinetmaking OP?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  13. tasmik

tasmik Member

Last year i was watching Paul sellers on you tube a bit and got it in my head to take up woodworking so thought I'd make the work bench he shows you how to build, so far i have like 6 bits of wood as i thought I'd make the top from non structural pine from bunnings at like 2bux something a bit, but that crap is knotty bent stuff so I'm checking the pile every time I'm there generaly get 1 bit I'm happy with a trip. Also thought of them mens sheds but got put off by googling them and saw them full of retired looking guys, granted I'm old too but no greys yet. Carbatec is just around the corner and wandered in there and spent almost 500 on chisels, water stones and sharpening jigs, also some pipe clamp ends, but yeah not a cheap shop to visit for a hobby im slowmoving into :)

14. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Nice, Blue Raven. :)

I recently did the same thing - built a workbench out of scrap wood. I was lucky to get some great hardwood sleepers for the top from a mate in exchange for helping out with setting up an email account. Came up a real treat. I have to put a back on the legs to keep it rigid, then a shelf across the bottom, then a back above the bench to hang tools from and mount some lighting :thumbup: It's been fun

[​IMG]

15. Greenman

Greenman Member

Yeah, woodworking has been my focus for the last year or so.. I love the workbenches guys - mine just isn't that pretty.

Not the greatest photo, but I've been making older musical instruments (and cases for them. Also made a portable workbench which has been pretty neat, but I don't have any pictures of that handy.

[​IMG]

16. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

image broken

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

It's fine on my computer.

18. benmagga

benmagga Member

Woodworker/tinkerer here in Brisbane. Excited about Elvis's idea of a workshop open day. Especially since I've been in a bit of a depression/anxiety rut of late and being around like-minded people doing hands-on things seems to help there!

Good source of wood for me is old CRT TV cabinets (council cleanup/gumtree freebies) - it's just cheap pine but good for prototyping/learning. Also council-cleanup/kerbside collection.

Couple of past projects:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. broccoli

broccoli Member

Love your outdoor bench and table. :thumbup:

20. benmagga

benmagga Member

Thanks mate, it was a labour of love.. Lots of electric planing and belt sanding..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017