1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Any woodworkers?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Radley

Radley Member

I thought a planer was also called a thicknesser, and a jointer was something different which finishes a surface 90° to the face it's placed on.

2. oculi

oculi Member

The thing Americans call a planer we call a thicknesser

What Americans call a jointer we call a planer, it really depends on the terms you learned.

I usually use the terms jointer and thicknesser as there is less ambiguity.

3. apsilon

apsilon Member

Not bad, seems to be a good use of space.

I bought the domino for one particular job. I was looking for a particular style of shelving/bookcase. What I could find was either cheap junk or really high end expensive. The one I liked most was ~$3.5k and wasn't even solid wood. At that price I figured I could pay for the domino to make it the way I wanted and the material and DIY with money left over and I'd still have the tool at the end. I've used it for a few other jobs as well and there's several others that are on my low priority to do list.

oculi likes this.
  4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Jointer isn't a planer. 2 separate tools even to Aussies.

And mostly no. I use one weekly, but only cause I mill my own timber.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
  5. Radley

Radley Member

Few questions for you wood nerds. I've got a piece of ply that needs to be 720 x 600, but when I cut it one of the 600mm sides is 605mm. How would you:
    • Square it up with a table saw (assuming maximum width of cut is 400mm as per the DeWalt one
    • Square it up with a circular saw
    • Square it up with something else (router??)

Wood.PNG

6. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nah I'd run it through the table saw again. Honestly, it sounds like you didn't cut on the line. You need to take into account the kerf of the blade (thickness)Just sneak up on the line. Also, to make it easier with cuts like this, include a sacrificial piece of wood against the fence, so that the blade isn't super close to the fence itself.

If you haven't yet, check out the top tips video by either Steve Ramsey (really good videos) or Bourbon Moth Woodworking (amazing videos).

7. Radley

Radley Member

Don't have one. Must have drawn the line wrong as I cut it bang on.

The only way I could straighten it up on a table saw is if the fence is over 600mm from the blade, but not all of them area (DeWalt). How would you fix it without one? I'll probably just clamp a straight edge and run a circ saw but wondering if there's smarter ways, considering I'm cutting a taper from 5mm to 0mm.

8. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Dpeends how much masterial.

If you have say 10mm extra material, and your saw allows 400mm depth cuts... switch the side the waste is on... So the waste is against the fence instead of the actual bit.

But yeah misread.

If the piece is still properly square, I'd use a circular saw with a straight edge (you can also make jigs for these which I find super useful.

9. fnp

fnp Member

Circular saw and a guide is certainly the easiest way in your situation. Even with a table saw plus some homemade infeed/outfeed tables to extend it's range that's what I do. There's no many table saws that can take 2400x1200 ply. Just ensure the old measure twice/cut once.

If you're really concerned about being super accurate aim for a millimeter or two outside your cut line and plane it down to size. Remember to account for saw kerf.

10. Radley

Radley Member

But that wouldn't cut a taper would it?

11. fnp

fnp Member

If you wanted to do a tapered cut on a table saw you could use a mitre fence. I have one of these - can't remember the exact model.

12. underskore

underskore Member

After being spoilt with the panel saw at a mates workshop I'd never buy a table saw...

13. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Pfft. Real pros use a CNC router :p

14. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

... No? But you didn't say you had/wanted a taper?

15. underskore

underskore Member

Ive got a stack of router reprogramming on the to-do list at work after a place giving me a few custom made cutters tailored to my needs (but thats jigged up cutting of alu extrusions)

Both tools have their place

16. T1tan

T1tan Member

Radley likes this.
  17. Radley

Radley Member

Yeah I said the sides were meant to be 600, but one of them was 605 and I wanted to square it up. It's in the sketch.
    Thank you.

18. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

So it's out 5mm? As in the whole side? (that's not a taper).

19. Radley

Radley Member

Just one side. Have a look at the image, I thought it was quite clear but maybe not.

20. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Yeah, so it's just 5mm too long on that one side. That's clear, you just through me off when you mentioned a taper.