1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Any woodworkers?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Arch-Angel, Nov 11, 2016.

1. Radley

Radley Member

Yeah sorry. I guess I have to cut a straight line but the waste piece is a taper! I've decided to make all sides that are meant to be 600mm 590mm instead, so I'll have to do more measuring and cutting. Going to buy a longer T square today if I can find one.
    I really don't have much time at the moment so I get like 30 minutes every few days. This box should take like an hour to make with a table saw but it's taken a week of dicking around and I've only cut the sides out. I still need to notch them.

2. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

get a track saw, even the cheap ozito one or the aldi one when it is available and get a good blade. makes cutting easy, just line up the track to your cut marks (no need to compensate as you do with a straight edge) and clamp and cut away.

Radley and Madengineer like this.
  3. Radley

Radley Member

That video is fantastic. I might have a go at that.

Do you guys reckon you could do a floating shelf using pocket holes and long screws directly into studs?

4. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Nope. Not a chance. BUT you can do invisible french cleat systems which are pretty awesome. Super strong, and puts as many holes into a wall as any other system, with the added benefit nothing will be visible.

5. Radley

Radley Member

Interesting. I'm used to seeing French cleats for hanging cupboards, not for shelves. I'll have to look into it more. I'm not sure how a French cleat would handle the moment from the shelf.

6. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Do you mean movement? There shouldn't be any movement as a shelf...

And it's pretty straight forward. It'd just be a smaller cleat.

7. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

think he means bending moment. you could do it, though it would depend on the thickness of the shelf and how deep it is and the type of load you plan to put on it, ive done it for 40mm thick shelving ~250mm deep. if its thin then only option would be to have some kind of backing on it - or get those dowel type brackets for floating shelves

Madengineer likes this.
  8. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Shouldn't have any bend to it. As long as it's at least 18mm thick (thicker would be better). It does look a little 'chunkier' but cleaner, if that makes any sense?

9. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Mannnn went and spent $300 on plywood at Bunnings. I feel dirty...

10. apsilon

apsilon Member

What's that these days? One sheet of 12mm BC?

11. Radley

Radley Member

I hear you. I got 2 pieces of 1200x900x12 last week and it was $97. Absolutely ridiculous price for pringles.

12. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

3 sheets of 21mm 2400X1200 :(

Just building some cabinets.

13. T1tan

T1tan Member

Just put the order in for a DeWalt DWE7491-XE table saw.

Next up will be a brad nailer and a thicknesser.

14. Zee

Zee Member

I was thinking of getting a DeWalt table saw, but where I am, they sell the 50Hz motor, but it's a 60Hz supply, not entirely convinced that that will end well. Shame, as the local pricing is pretty good (about $600), and I love the fence.

Having said that, I'm seriously considering the 18v Mafell track saw, as I have a bunch of Bosch tracks and Benchdogs.co.uk rail square for it.

Z...

15. Madengineer

Madengineer Member

Mannnn where are you to get it so cheap?

A track saw is something I really wanna get. Currently my panel materials I buy from Bunnings and always have them rip it down into the sizes I need, and they never do it well.

16. Radley

Radley Member

17. T1tan

T1tan Member

what is it from a track saw that you want so bad? length of track?

In lieu of a track saw, *IF* you already have a circular saw, you can just create a track in the mean time. Alternative materials might be an aluminium angle as a straight edge and thinner ply or smoother base.

Cheers, I'll keep it in mind. My dad gave me an air compressor about 5yrs ago, and I've never unboxed it to figure out if it still works or not, or if I need any hoses or fittings. Plan on doing that this weekend :)

18. garfield2k

garfield2k Member

Ive made my own like that and have the ozito track saw, and the track saw is definitely much better. you have the plunge option (easier and safer than manually doing it with a standard circ saw), dust extraction on the plunge saw is so much better - barely have clean up after compared to the circ saw, track has rubber strips underneath which help it stick the the wood (can get away without clamping most of the time - except for melamine).

but if you are on a budget then the homemade version easy enough to do.

Madengineer and T1tan like this.
  19. Zee

Zee Member

I'm in the Philippines, and the DeWalt table saw is one of those rare items that are actually really well priced. As I said though - the catch is that they did not bother to use a 230V 60Hz motor, and kept the 230v 50Hz motor from the Euro market, so I'm not convinced that it's a smart long term purchase.

I do kinda have limited space though, so I'm probably better off sticking with a track saw/MFT setup. If anyone has ever seen Peter Millard's "10 Minute Workshop" on Youtube, that's roughly about what my work area is like, though I can temporarily extend the size by taking one of the cars out of the garage, so once all the building materials are finally our of the garage, I'll probably build a flip-up MFT table/bench that is attached to the wall, and I can lift in to place when I need the extra room.

I currently have a Bosch GKS 18V 57G - which is a circular saw that has the base that works with the FSN guide rails, but I really want to add a plunge saw, the benefits of adjustable depth stops and the plunge action are both things that I am starting to see the benefit of. I've got 2 lengths of 1.6m track, along with the joiner and the aforementioned Benchdogs rail square, and this has been a godsend during our ongoing house build.

The local trades don't really have any decent tools, and have no idea what "square" and "straight" are (I have some great photos!), so I've spent a fair bit of time now squaring up and straightening doors, let alone all the other things I've had to straighten and square up. The guide rails, rail square and circular saw were a small price to pay for my sanity...

Z...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2022
  20. fnp

fnp Member

Man, that would just do my OCD in.