1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Anybody in brisbane do tv repair as a hobby

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by hikaru78, Nov 20, 2018.

1. hikaru78

hikaru78 Member

Hey guys got an old lg plasma that just stoped working suddenly
    Tuner wont tune anything and showing no signal. Tested another tv same cable all good.
    At the same time sound has become intermittent as well on both hdmi

Its pretty old so i don't want to waste to much time on it but just want to see if can be fixed easily before it goes to the junkyard in the sky

I was thinking main pcb. Or power
    Excuse me if i sound dumb.
    And yes i know not to poke around the power board because of the caps

2. vs355

vs355 Member

im no repairman, but put the model number into google with the fault, and see what comes back. Ive successfully fixed 2 plasmas by doing that and sourcing the correct board.
    From memory most plasmas had 3 main boards as well as the tuner module.
    Unfortunately - being plasma, parts will be hard to find, and in all honesty - its probably best to just recycle it. Even if you do repair it, how long till the next bit goes......

3. merlin13

merlin13 Member

Lots of plasmas are dying lately. As '355 sez, tickle Uncle Google/Cousin youToob for the Usual Suspects on resurrecting those.

And larger LG LCD TVs are also developing a rep that the BGA chip(s) are either unsoldering themselves or the boards are distorting enough over time to crack some of the solder joints under the chip - I've got three here on the Tuit pile (32, 36 'n a 42) that I have to get around to reflowing the main board to see if they'll recover...