Anyone Bought A Motorola Xoom?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by Oppressa, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

I have an iPad but want to buy a new toy and have been looking at the Xoom.

Does anyone here own one? Impressions? What's the web browsing speed like? Size and weight vs iPad?

2. Refl3ct

Refl3ct Member

Also interested to hear. Waiting for an Aussie release, but I guess we'll see...

3. Ralphie May

Ralphie May New Member

They do not weigh in all that well against the IPAD 2.

I think NVIDIAs finding grace will be with the Tegra 3 codenamed Kalel which is a Superman reference. Its meant to be 5x more powerful! Quad Core and with a 12 core mobile GPU!!! 2560x1440 output for movies has been shown, runs smooth and handles games better than the Tegra 2 (XOOM) can.

US release in August this year.

4. RonDMC

RonDMC Member

I'm thinking of importing a wifi Xoom from the US. Total inc shipping would be about Aus $680 as long as the dollar doesn't drop any further. I'm not so fussed on the lack of apps as I have owned an ipad and will probably get an ipad 2 as well more after the full web experience with flash, flash is more important to em than 300k apps that I install, open once and never use again.

5. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Get one then do a video review :D

6. RonDMC

RonDMC Member

Plenty of video reviews out there already. I'm thinking if I buy one and don't like it I could probably get back exactly what I paid for it inc shipping on ebay so can't really lose. By the time the 27th rolls round and it gets shipped to me hopefully flash will be ready to roll...

7. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I'm looking at one since I want something for couch browsing but don't want a laptop. Time will tell...

8. dannyj

dannyj Member

I've just ordered a wifi only xoom from the states... will post from it when it arrives :)

9. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

*approves of this*

You're not worried about the OS lag that people are mentioning?

10. dannyj

dannyj Member

Yes and no. Not going into the whole thing totally blind. It is a generation 1 tablet with a new OS on it. I expect it to feel a little beta-rey. Spent a lot of time looking for lag in video previews amongst other things.

First android device for me so looking forward to learning (and playing) with a new OS. My main goal is to attempt to replace my home laptop/pc for 95% of home tasks i.e. web browsing, basic first pass photo management, maybe downloads. Xoom might not be quite there yet but will be a hoot finding out.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  11. nexx

nexx Member

Flash has been 'nearly ready' for mobile platforms for years now :thumbdn:

12. Azer

Azer Member

xoom

bought one (its sitting in customs in Melbourne) Scheduled delivery date is monday afternoon,

when its here ill post some info on it.

13. dannyj

dannyj Member

OK got mine and typing this post from it.

First impressions are very positive. Love the device and the form factor, I found I pads to be just a notch too large and was seriously considering the coming 8.9 tablets, however I think the size is great and wouldn't go smaller now.

Have quickly dled dolphin HD web browser, the built in browser is nice but getting mobile versions of websites on it just sucks. Downloading is nice.... as in downloading and playing internet material just like a big computer works :)

Something that suprised me is internet speeds through wifi sharing on iPhone and vodafail are much quicker loading that on phone. Like 20x quicker!

Only complaint is the weight. It feels top heavy. People oh and ah then pick it up and say it is heavier than they were expecting.

Typing is leagues faster than I was expecting!

14. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

Have you used an ipad for browsing? I have one and am wondering if the browsing experience is better on the xoom

15. Azer

Azer Member

on Android Central's forums in the xoom sub forum there is a post for tips and tricks... one of them is to make honey comb browser load the desktop version of sites...
    haven't tried it as my xoom should be here monday.

stolen from http://forum.androidcentral.com/motorola-xoom/64163-motorola-xoom-hints-tricks-tips-information.html

Here are the steps to make Honeycomb's browser load the Desktop version of sites rather then the mobile one.

1. Open the Android Honeycomb browser on your tablet.

2. In the address bar, type: about:debug and press enter.

3. Now open the browser's settings by tapping the icon in the very top-right corner of your screen (it looks like four horizontal lines) and selecting "Settings" from the drop-down menu that appears.

4. On the left side of the screen, tap the section labeled "Debug."

5. On the right side of the screen, tap the item labeled "UAString," then select "Desktop."

6. Press the back button (in the very bottom-left corner of your screen) to exit the browser's settings.

7. In the browser's address bar, type: about:debug once more; this will disable debugging mode and return the browser to its normal state. [Optional] If you do this step you will need to redo this step every time to enable Desktop Browsing.

-There's a tab button on the keyboard now. Works on web-forms (though not necessarily on in-app forms) to skip to the next input field, like on a desktop or laptop.

-You can enable an experimental UI in the browser without hacking. Simply go to the menu and go to Labs. The experimental UI gets rid of the controls bar at the top and makes it appear as a radial menu when you swipe on the edge of the browser.

- If you zoom into a spot on the webpage with pinch to zoom, you can double tap (after you zoom in) and it will fit the text to the screen.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  16. dannyj

dannyj Member

Only briefly and it was an ipad 2. Would say the browsing experience on I pad 2 was better but obviously far less featured. If browsing is your only criteria stick with what you have got.

17. Supremo

Supremo Member

Which site did you guys buy your Xoom from and how long did it take to get to Oz?

18. Azer

Azer Member

19. Supremo

Supremo Member

Thanks Azer.

20. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey