1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone Compared And Then Deployed Google/Office 365 To Large School/Network?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by Oppressa, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Oppressa

Oppressa Member

I'm particularly interested if you work in school IT. We're looking at utilising Google or 365 for email, user drive storage and word processing, spreadsheets etc.

Has anyone gone through the process of comparing or trialing both of these (or if not, then either of them) and then rolling out?

If yes to either:
    Are you school-owned or student owned devices?
    How many devices?
    Who did you include in the trial/how many people? How many students/staff have you eventually rolled out to? What year groups
    Did you roll out email/apps or both?
    Have you integrated the mail solution into your on premise Exchange if you have it?
    What kinds of devices did you deploy to? Laptop/tablet/phone etc and how did you find deployment?
    What's the process of onboarding/adding new students/enrollments?
    Issues during the testing?
    Issues during the rollout?
    Issues post rollout?
    Positives during the testing?
    Positives during the rollout?
    Positives post rollout?
    What are the admin tools like in your experience?
    If you've rolled it out to a large number of users, do you notice an impact on your pipe? Any internet slowdowns? Is this something that you're monitoring/aware of or are you just hoping for the best?
    Cost of the service or if you're an educational facility and it's free, any cost of external consultants?
    Any other thoughts/things to note?

2. kwiztofa

kwiztofa Member

365 in my opinion

If it was me id always choose 365 as it just works but it does also come down to cost.

Gmail although its similar i have come across to many sync problems with their "google app sync tool" on slow internet connections.

Both are easy to setup on any device. 365 gives you the ability to wipe a device if someone leaves.

I dont work in a school but for a MSP but roll out 365 and gmail a fair bit although we now have our own product we are pushing with is just exchange anyway.

If you go with 365 its better to buy direct not go through tsuite.

Either solution the most time consuming is setting up new users/deactivating them.

3. OP
    OP
    Oppressa

Oppressa Member

4. EvilGenius

EvilGenius Member

We've been rolling it out across our company (~1500 users). Rollout has been reasonably smooth, but the program itself (we're using a click to run version) has been less than spectacular. Updates frequently lead to broken installs which then need to be repaired, or completely removed and reinstalled.

5. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

We are in the final stages of planning of a similar thing. We have decided on Office 365 for email (we wan't to get away from on premise exchange). So this will appear virtually the same to the students as office 13 owa looks already. And we will be going with google for docs with gmail portion turned off.

We will have a mix of windows PC's, chromebooks, as well as BYOD. :thumbup:

I am hoping things go smoothly... :tongue:

6. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

why the split?

I would have thought that moving to 365 or Google for Mail, it would make sense to move docs to the same place?

7. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

We are moving staff as well to office 365, they like it better than gmail. As far as the staff/students are concered, the only thing changing is the ability to use goodle drive + apps. Email will appear and function the same for them. :thumbup:

8. bcann

bcann Member

when office 365 installs and works fine its great, but when it borks, it borks really well.

9. PabloEscobar

PabloEscobar Member

I get the move from On Prem Exchange to 365, so that OWA (or outlook) doesn't change, but unless you already use google drive + apps, why would you choose Google Drive + Apps over One-Drive + Office Online?

10. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

That was my recommendation as well. Office 365 for everything.

A few things that let them down the google path.

1. It's free for everything. Which means you can sync your files and work offline. 365 does this, but not with the free version.
    2. They really like the idea of chromebooks for a student device.
    3. A couple of other reasons but I can't remember them right now.
    :lol: :thumbup:

11. thetron

thetron Member

Do you want emails hosted half away around the world?

12. PacketStorm4

PacketStorm4 Member

High School,
    1200 students,
    Google soloution

Are you school-owned or student owned devices? Mix of both: Co-controbution, Managed BYOD
    How many devices? 1200
    Who did you include in the trial/how many people? How many students/staff have you eventually rolled out to? What year groups? All student year groups, staff use Vic Gov email.
    Did you roll out email/apps or both? Both
    Have you integrated the mail solution into your on premise Exchange if you have it? no, completely offsite
    What kinds of devices did you deploy to? Laptop/tablet/phone etc and how did you find deployment? Predominantly student computers. Found the deployment interesting, we did not have enough time to get group policy to auto configure mail settings. Each user has the google configure utility that configures the email settings for them in windows 8.1
    What's the process of onboarding/adding new students/enrollments? Google syncs with ADFS, new user in AD = New user in google apps
    Issues during the testing? making sure ADFS works.
    Issues during the rollout? None
    Issues post rollout? None, almost forgot we use it
    Positives during the testing? All good
    Positives during the rollout? All good
    Positives post rollout? All good
    What are the admin tools like in your experience? Easy to use, support has been a little patchy, nothing to complain about though.
    If you've rolled it out to a large number of users, do you notice an impact on your pipe? Any internet slowdowns? Is this something that you're monitoring/aware of or are you just hoping for the best? We have 100mb/s to the school and its nothing we have considered. We have never experienced any issues at all. i suppose you could say we are hopeing for the best!
    Cost of the service or if you're an educational facility and it's free, any cost of external consultants? Free, we did it all ourselves
    Any other thoughts/things to note?

After saying all that above,
    We are looking at moving to office 365 next year, it was tried here in its infancy and it was very touchy. We are hopeing this time around its more reliable. Mainly to keep our stuff Microsoft based.

13. driver

driver Member

Any updates on this? I'm in the same boat.

It's good that Google for Education are including Vault for free now too - except it's still not fully been rolled out despite google saying 'by the end of the year' last year.It's still not appearing in my Google EDU admin console yet. I need this this audit functionality so it's a bit of a show stopper without it.

14. thetron

thetron Member

If any your students or teachers are using hotmail/gmail. They have no problems using google for education.
    Probably nothing stopping you running it under a business account

I've seen other deployments with microsoft 365 / skydrive
    http://www.microsoft.com/casestudie...ation-promotes-real-world-skills/710000004088

Rory sort of easy to speak with when he is available to email

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  15. tensop

tensop Member

using o365 here - 850 students at one site and another 600 at another - goes alright apart from adfs always breaking :)