1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone done the CoffeeLake in Z170/270 mod?

Discussion in 'Intel x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by Myne_h, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Played around with the automatic bios patch thing someone made last night.
    Seems pretty impressive.

https://www.win-raid.com/t3987f16-TOOL-Easy-automated-Mod-tool-for-Coffee-Lake-bios.html

Theoretically my z170 board now supports Coffee lake - meanwhile the Kaby is still working fine.

One very odd thing though.
    Original bios, modded bios (before flashing) and modded bios (dumped) all get different hashes.

I looked into the files and it does look like at least the VBIOS version did update, and the Intel ME appears to have been changed so it doesn't *look like* the dualbios reverted it. Perhaps it's just a different format?

I don't yet have an 8x00 to test with. Maybe in a few months.

Anyone else tried it?

2. Daveros

Daveros Member

I'm really keen on this but, as I am basically an idiot in human form, even this "Easy automated Mod tool" is making me confused as hell. Looks like I have some reading to do.

3. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

When I last looked at this, it only supported the 4 core processors (i3 etc)

Ultimately, I dumped it and just bought a new motherboard and CPU.

4. OP
    OP
    Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Hah it's super easy.

Download tool, update to tool, and bios from manufacturer.

Unzip all in order into same folder.

Run exe. Select bios. Wait.

Then the hard part might be flashing. I needed a hacked flash tool and freedos.

I've undone it for now. Lost multiplier settings in bios.

Daveros likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Myne_h

Myne_h Member

I'm back on the modded. I fixed the multiplier settings. I missed the line in the instructions that said "if you have a k chip..."

Seems fine. Still on the Kaby though.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Fortune favors the brave :lol: I'll stick with owning Apex ix & x

7. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

I have 2 x Z170 boards here ( an asus with DDR 3 memory support and an asrock) I will be trying this mod on when my 8350k arrives

the 8350k + asus board and 32gb of ddr3 will make a nice NAS / vm host

8. 2_stroke

2_stroke Member

Lol herd some weird shit with those fake x79 boards and one having a h61 chipset and working. Kinda makes me mad with intel cutting off cpu's and forcing us to fork out for new boards with a chip set to support.

9. shane41

shane41 Member

x299 gimped with a less cores processor. Really annoying. Less pci-e lanes
    Fit a m2 ssd OR 2 & no sli. Then the pci-e 1 on the Evga is dropped & you have to use the pci-e 2. PIA

10. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

well after having a little bit of spare time this weekend I managed to get the asrock z170 pro 4 bios updated to support my 8350k and over clock it.

it was a straight forward process on this board -- ran the utility and I can just use the built in instant flash tool to flash it

the board speed wise is the same with the 8350k and i5 6600k @ 4.3ghz all cores.

the asus z170-p D3 which is a DDR3 board I have been unable to get it to work on just yet.

I can get teh bios patched and flashed(not that straight forward) and it will boot with the 6600k but when i put the 8350k in it it does not POST. It may be because it is a DDR3 motherboard and it may not work I know the bios is getting updated as I downgraded teh bios to a brevious version I update the modded bios and it has the correct (latest ) version number.

11. OP
    OP
    Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Nice.
    As you probably know, yours works so easily because the 8350 has the same package pinouts as a kaby. Very simple mod.
    What's the 8350 hit? Only 4.3?

Flash to the stock old version and mod the new version. There might be other updates for compatibility. Also turn off fastboot or anything else.

I gave up in the end. Apparently Gigabyte was responsible for singlehandedly preventing z170 support. They bridged unused pins, meaning if you wanted to stick a CL in a GB, you'd have to block a dozen more tiny pins.
    Moved to z390 with a 8600k at 4.8 all core 1.21v.
    Looks like core 2&3 are the weak ones. At 5ghz they quit prime95 fairly quick unless the voltage is high enough to bump the temps to thermal throttling.
    4.8 at 1.2 is pretty good though. Shifted the bottleneck in BFV firmly back to the rx580- which still manages over 70fps in ultra.

12. Court Jester

Court Jester Member

it might hit more but its not delidded and I wanted to test like for like with teh i5 6600k and I am only using a stock box intel cooler so am limited here thermally

I wouldn't bother with trying to block / cover the pins on a higher end cpu so was only interested in the chips I didnt have to do that on. It does not appear ill get teh 8350k working in the asus board ive tried everything but it wont boot but it is an odd ball combo being a DDR3 based board ill just use it with teh 6600k which is just as fast any way.

I do have a decent z370 board and 8700k @ 5.2ghz in my main system all ready.

13. OP
    OP
    Myne_h

Myne_h Member

Fairynuff.

I got 4.3 on the stock cooler too - but 4.7 with a better one.