1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feeling a bit nostalgic about overclocking?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by demiurge3141, Nov 30, 2013.

1. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

It used to be us geeks getting the cheapest CPU's and value motherboards, then overclocking them to top of the line performance. But now to OC you just need to throw money at it, which kind of defeats the whole purpose, at least for me. And frankly when you get a 4770k, it does all you ever want at stock anyway. Oh how I miss the days when we could get a 100% overclock on an E2140 and could feel the difference.

2. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

I miss the days of my abit BP6 and Celeron 300A. Will probably watercool my next rig to keep it quiet, but I can't see the point overclocking it anymore; the tech has come far enough that you just don't need to anymore.

3. C-BuZz

C-BuZz Member

Ya, Quake 1/2 FPS performance jump was HUUUGE clocking my Celeron 300A to 500mhz :lol: Really allowed those Voodoo 2's in SLI open up the throttle. The frag count was FAAAR to many to count that day when I first installed/overlcocked my Celly :lol: (Upgraded from an AMD K6 166Mhz 3D NOW :lol::lol::lol: )

4. Linkin

Linkin Member

I do remember overclocking a Pentium Dual Core E5300 to 4.2Ghz on air. That thing pwnd Crysis at the time

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

The last thing I overclocked was my nVidia GTS 8800, coupled with my Intel E6600 core2duo. The overclock made Trackmania & Guildwars just that little bit more awesome.

Now days I don't bother. I think this is mainly due to games running pretty good with just stock speed hardware clocks.

6. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Nowadays you'd feel more overclocking the GPU.

7. newynut

newynut Member

I am trying to remember the numbers, lots of alcohol under the bridge since then.
    O.C. an amd k2 or somethin from 350 to 500mhz. WOW what an upgrade.
    e.

8. mkusanagi

mkusanagi Member

My old favorite was my P3 Coppermine 700mhz with 100fsb, on a BF6 with slotket III. Force the settings on the Slotket to 133Mhz and instantly have a top of the line P3 @ 933Mhz :)

Don't remember the cooler I used, I think it was a FOP32 with an 60>80mm because I never cared for the noise of those high speed 60mm fans!

9. Akimbo

Akimbo Member

Got a Duron 600 to 1200mhz with a good heatsink.
    Still got that CPU.

10. Anteros

Anteros Member

My best was my trusty little E7400 that I got up to 3.9Ghz, took a fair bit of work at the time, lots of noise with 2 big fans strapped to the Cooermaster Z600 (god i hated that crocked logo), but the effort to get it stable was half the fun.

Built a 2500k rig as soon as the chip came out, took 30 seconds to set up a 4.2Ghz OC, was stable immediately, took it to 4.4Ghz with very little effort. had it like that for 6 months and never used the grunt. Had it at stock clocks since, just lowered the voltages. Probably won't need to upgrade for a long time still.

11. newynut

newynut Member

Cant believe it. This was the cooler I used with 2 small fans at each end in push pull. I was ahead of my time.

AK-786

12. power

power Member

As cool as my fop 38`s were, I don't miss the noise...

13. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

A few weeks ago I was looking at some reviews of old mainboards. On an Abit board, they noted that overclocking was really straightforward - just two banks of switches to set for multiplier and FSB!

Then Abit went further and introduced SoftMenu - overclocking through the BIOS!

Both of my first two 'overclocking' boards were Abit: the BP6 and later the NF7-S v2.0. Good times. Wasn't really into the whole overclocking scene with the BP6, but I remember the "standard system" for quite some time being an NF7-S, Athlon XP 1700+/1800+ DLT3C, and the cheapest RAM you could find with Winbond BH-5 chips. If you had money to burn then you could look at a P4 2.4C on a P4P800, but who could afford that sort of thing?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  14. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I love Abit. I am still running a IP35-Pro. It's a pity they went under.

15. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

That started a long time back. Beginnings of it reared its ugly head with this:

Click to view full size!

..and with this:

Click to view full size!

One simple BIOS setting change and 'Bingo!' That 2500+Barton was a top of the line 3200+ jobbie. And it's been all downhill from there!

Anyways, yeah. Haven't really bothered overclocking anything for years now. I've already had my fiddling fun, and it's never become an all-embracing passion for me like it has for some others. Plus, no real need coz recent tech is plenty good enough at stock anyways.

16. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I think my first OC was punching holes on the sides of 3.5 floppies to turn 720k disks into 1.44M ones...

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  17. t8y

t8y Member

meh, i still get more performance out of the games i play with an OC'd 3770k.. its not like its totally pointless these days, i mean.

though yeah, back in the old days (mid-late 90s and on, for me, im only 30) overclocking was often the difference between running a game, and not.
    i cant say that currently, id still be running the games i play, just at lower settings.

the same general idea is still there though.

as for the fun of it;
    its become a bit stale with the likes of SB CPUs "just ramp up the multi and vcore" set and forget, but ivy/haswell changed that up a bit and the memory frequency overclocking/timing tweaking is a tonne of fun!
    AMD was always fun to play around on really, and most older intel also.

still have a bunch of fun overclocking/tweaking other hardware with subzero or even just water - hell as im typing this im testing superpi wtih a new haswell at 6.1ghz (32m runs are boring lol, just gotta remember to keep pouring every min or two, read forums in between pours :D not too much though else it coldbugs haha)

yes it can cost a bit but when the benchmarking/tweaking becomes more fun/interesting/challenging than most modern games, then the money is justified i guess

side note, first CPU overclock for me was a 486dx, fsb jumper. second was a cyrix 133 chip, same method. CPU cooling=sidepanel off :lol:
    first graphics card OC was voodoo banshee, got an extra 20mhz out of it (stock was 100mhz, iirc, so 20% wasnt bad!).
    in the end though as said, the reasons for doing it were the same as today, and i even benchmarked my PCs against mates and even the guys on here like a madman, used to be on quake1/2/3 timedemos (anyone remember the old OCAU_slayer timedemo for q3?!) and similar, eventually onto 3dmark2001 and so on..

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  18. Dezza Bot

Dezza Bot Member

I started working two jobs around that time...
    I had that exact system cooled with an original vapochill till condensation killed it. It really was about that time it started feeling like it was who had the most money to spend got the best results. There was still some cheap thrills to be had, iirc my next and last fun oc system was a AMD 3000+ venice core with some awesome bh5.

19. foxmulder881

foxmulder881 Member

Yes the days of heavy o/clocking were fun times. It does seem like a thing of the past with modern hardware though.

20. booksacool1

booksacool1 Member

I remember a mate of mine pushing his cheap conroe E6300 to some crazy 50% OC. Unbeatable value at the time.

Nowadays with Intels war on overclocking and K-series BS, you're much less likely to eek out any value. Once you've paid for a K-series CPU and a Z-series chipset you are ~$60 behind. That's about 25% of the price of the processor. You might not gain that 25% back in performance with Haswell's disappointing overclocking. They all have turbo boost.

And you lose VT-D... intel at it again.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013