Anyone else feeling a bit nostalgic about overclocking?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by demiurge3141, Nov 30, 2013.

1. wickee

wickee Member

Don't forget the ridiculously loud fans that were associated with the overclocks!

I had a Duron 700Mhz at 933Mhz and ran a FOP38 fan @6800rpm.

Jeez that thing annoyed my parents.

2. ikonz0r

ikonz0r Member

Yeh, I had a SL45 P3 700a @ 1050 on a CUSL2 - FOP32 with the 6800RPM screaming delta :D

Ohhh they were the days

3. whirlybomber

whirlybomber Member

These ones -->

The good old Athlon mobile in the dual-Athlon desktop moptherboards (the mobile and multi-processor chips had the same trace cut on the substrate) and then using tiny little bits of wire in the socket to jump the clock speeds.

Getting your mate in the U.S.A. to purchase the mobile chips for you off NewEgg and ship them over here. Ending up with two chips running for less than the price of one multi-processor chip purchased locally.

Ahhhh the good old days.

Now get off my lawn you whipper-snappers!

4. power

power Member

dual FOP 38's on my BP6 and then 80mm Sunon's as well.

My PC was pretty damn noisy back in the day.

5. Luke212

Luke212 Member

oh yes i remember a dx2/66 that cost $14K and had a 17" trinitron which was the largest monitor anyone had ever seen. i also remember later seeing 20" monitors that were just so huge.

6. |einad

|einad Member

Used to love tweaking every hardware and software setting for Max FPS
    In Quake III, CS Beta etc.

Current PC is the first one I havn't bothered to overclock.
    Had a quick go but it didn't get as high as I wanted so have just left it for now.

My CPU history:

Celery 300 @ 500Mhz

PIII 700Mhz @ 1Ghz

P4 3Ghz @ 4Ghz

Althlon 64X2 Stock, didn't like it found P4 was faster at the time..

i7 920 @ 4.2ghz

i7 930 @ 4.3Ghz

i7 940 @ 4Ghz <-- still have this in GF PC.

Current i5 3570k @ stock, I will eventually get around to OC and find its max.

7. Frodo

Frodo Member

NF7-S.. awww yeah. that was one of my all-time fav mobos. It's a shame that abit died. I had it paired with my XP1800 DLT3C (AGOIA) overclocked from 1.53ghz to 2.3ghz running watercooled 24/7. I still have the CPU sitting on my shelf coz I couldn't bare to throw it away or sell it - I might have gotten $25 or so for it when I finally decided to decommission it.

Did anyone else remove the fan grill on the FOP38 for slightly better airflow and then stick their finger in it to see what would happen? that thing drew blood :p

8. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

heh heh...

Yep. I had one of those 2500+ Barton jobbies coupled up with some OCZ 500mhz RAM in NF7-S and running stable at somewheres around 3Ghz at one stage.

9. shawns_maggot

shawns_maggot Member

Tis. I have my IP35 a good flogging. Great board. Biostar Tpower I45 was another one that sticks in my memory

Was just thinking about this the other day. OC'ing use to be about squeezing out more performance for little investment, now it's turned into the opposite :thumbdn:

Had some great fun with 100%+ OC's with many, many Core2's and even some nice P4's and Pentium D's.

Still remember the day at work when we were binning a whole bunch of E2140's? I think, and almost all of our batch of twenty chips were easily pushed to a 100% OC with nothing but basic intel boards, stock coolers and stock voltage.

RIP value Overclocking :upset:

10. cobretti1818

cobretti1818 Member

What was that CPU where you needed to shade in part of it with a HB pencil to overclock it? I think it was an AMD chip. I remember my friend doing that for me years ago.

Now, just select what speed you like from the BIOS and keep it cool....boring.

11. ali1988

ali1988 Member

NF7-S! Wow this brings back the memories. I also remember the pencil trick for athlon thunderbirds. Overclocked a few celerys before moving to duron then athlons and now intel i7s. Before OCAUs PCDB was shut down (why??) I remember having my first OC; a celeron 300A@450 on there.

Biggest difference these days is not having to worry about motherboard voltages and chipset cooling. I actually prefer it, was always a headache isolating mobo voltage from vcore only to realise the NB heatsink is about to go thermonuclear and then cabletying on a high pitched shitty 40mm fan.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  12. ali1988

ali1988 Member

Are you serious? I'm surprised you still have a finger, may as well have stuck it in a jet engine from the look and sound of mine. I love how everyone just accepted that fans needed to be that insanely fast because 'heatsinks have reached the maximum size possible'... and then the T.R.U.E came along.

13. toopy28

toopy28 Member

this was my first overclock,
    http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19430

Mac LCIII (25Mhz) to LCIII+ (33Mhz)
    Then glued a 20c piece to the CPU as a heatsink

then the powermac got some soldering iron lovin' TM
    http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=20392

and I've overclocked every CPU, SIMM, DIMM, GPU and now monitors, tablets I've ever owned since.

I do however agree that the fun, adrenalin and just plain geekyness has been lost with the new gear.

ATM 3370K @ 4.5 with a few keystrokes and some o/ced 680's with a couple of clicks and I guess Bios Flashes

14. Frodo

Frodo Member

haha yeah, it's dangerous! it took a tiny chunk out of my finger. Luckily I was much younger back then and it healed fast. I learned my lesson though :upset:

15. jobski

jobski Member

I remember asking stuff 13 years ago on how to OC at overclockers, finding it really nostalgic when I read back my posts asking how to OC :D

My "milestone" was a P3 450mhz at 600mhz on an Abit mobo.

Then the AMD heydays with the Athlon XP 2100+ running at around ~2.2ghz on an Epox 8rda+ and a CAK4 IIRC.

Last but not least is benchmarking with 3DMark2000.

Happy days :D

16. Polygamus

Polygamus Member

<groan> ...

poly.

17. partybear

partybear Member

Like ten years ago it was considered really bad to overclock your pc, now its expected of you. But back then it was more useful then it is now.

18. Polygamus

Polygamus Member

lol Ten years.

Urgh.. just had one of those, '..when I was a Lad..' moments. <shudder>

poly.

19. Catweazle

Catweazle Member

Not true at all. It's kinda understandable that a person might come to that mistaken belief if their time is spent reading/participating enthusiast and special interest boards like this forum and others similar to it, but reality is that the vast bulk of computers in use are not overclocked and are not intended to be overclocked.

Hardware specifically designed to meet the needs of 'overclockers' is a specialty/boutique market sector, not the entirety of the market. What we've seen over the past decade is the growth of a better boutique, not a transformation of the industry toward a scenario where consumers are all 'expected' to tweak the equipment to extract more performance from it.

Overclocking facilities are, and always were, geared toward that small percentage of computer users who like to tweak the kit for the satisfaction of tweaking the kit.

20. whowalks

whowalks Member

I was a DFI fan boy too.
    Do you remember the forums with that tosser angry games:lol:
    He was such a duche bag but every 15 year old OCer was up his ass.
    Lots of good info on that forum though with some amazing results.
    Im still a bit of a AMD and Nvidia fan boy because of those days :wired:

I also started of with a NF-7 and that elusive barton OC :0)
    I think I sill have that abit board in the shed some where