Anyone else feeling a bit nostalgic about overclocking?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by demiurge3141, Nov 30, 2013.

1. t8y

t8y Member

sounds like more than a few of you are missing the magic...

its still going strong over here, btw... even with older hardware. lots of fun to be had and points to be made - its not all about WRs on the latest gear, the hardware points (being ranked against other guys on similar/same hardware) are just as important :)

also yeah, check my sig, australias really well placed in the country cup for the first time ever, we just need a few more submissions from specific hardware to cement a top spot :)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I remember when I first really started building computers around 2005, yeah I'm not an old fart like most of you :leet:, overclocking even then was still something that was more of a specialty thing and only people who knew a lot about computers did it and even then most of the guys I knew still wouldnt risk it also it was 10x harder back then unlike now

My old 775 rig, E8500 and QX9650 was a bitch for me to overclock to 3.5GHz and an even bigger bitch to keep cool but once I got my 2500k it was at 4.5GHz under 80 degrees 24/7 in a few days :shock:

I have got some old 775 and earlier motherboards that I may play around with and see how they clock :D

3. whowalks

whowalks Member

Dude the Barton days where 2003-5ish LOL

so I contend that You are indeed an OLD FART as thats 13 years ago :Paranoid:

4. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Aww but... but... Im almost 22... ok on second thought nevermind :upset: :wired:

But seriously tho overclocking isnt as special and you dont get the performance you use to get, now its more like a baby with access to a pc can do it :(

5. whowalks

whowalks Member

Man you started early its a pity you missed out on the money in IT by 20 odd years LOL :lol:

6. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

I know :upset: well hey getting electrocuted by a PSU when your 5 puts you off for a bit :Paranoid:

Now a days I got 13 year olds trying to school me on computers and overclocking now, good kick to the head sorts them out tho :thumbup: :D

7. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

Eh? 2005 to 2013 is 13 years? Since when?

It's a bit sad how many of the really nice mainboard manufacturers have disappeared. No more Aopen (at least not for normal desktop boards), no more Soltek bright yellow boards, no more Epox overclocking boards - and of course no more Abit.

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

What about DFI I heard they made some awesome overclocking boards, I did have one but sold the damn thing :upset:

9. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

I didn't realise that DFI had left the PC mainboard business. They never had a really big presence in Australia (apart from a very short period where the DFI NF4 Ultra-D was the Athlon64 board to buy) so I haven't really kept up-to-date with them.

10. Everlong

Everlong Member

This was my first overclock too :thumbup: I had a Voodoo and a TNT in mine so I could play all the games :p

11. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Looks like they only do industrial motherboards now and not consumer ones like the lan party line :( I could be wrong tho

12. bennyg

bennyg Member

Overclocking is alive and well, its just that most CPUs and new GPUs do it themselves now.

Best I ever did was take a 6800XT I got cheap off ebay for $170, unlock and OC it from 8pp/4vp 325/700 to 16pp/5vp 375/875 on the stock fan. Well over 100% performance increase, sometimes benched above the $350+ 6800 vanilla despite the crippled 128bit bus of the XT

I never got into huge CPU OCing because you switched off the lame power saving features of "back then" days which quietened the thing while doing boring stuff like studying. Essays made me want to kill myself enough without the drone of high speed fans adding to it. GPU OCing was much better as you had the 2d/3d profiles.

Maybe if I had $ to spend on quieter fans I would have gotten into it more. I was also a chicken, I bought a huge CNPS 7700-Cu cooler, the one that was nearly a kilo of pure copper, but never installed it, I only had a tower case at the time and it would have destroyed the mobo before I finished screwing it on so in the cupboard it stayed. Ironically I sold it last month on ebay for a few $ more than what I paid for it over 5 yrs ago!

13. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Really? Those parts would easily do 4G...

14. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

If I still had the QX9650 and my DFI board I would try again, at the time I didnt know much about overclocking so it was hard and also keeping them cool was a pain in the ass, I had trouble keeping my 2500k cool... till I gave it an over kill watercooling loop :leet:

Actually I could try overclocking my E8500 I still have that but on a Gigabyte GA-G41M-Combo with 4GB DDR2 ram :p

15. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

My first foray into ocing was on an Athlon 64 3700. Put a Thermaltake Big Typhoon cooler on it and upped the base clk and vcore.
    Wish I had known about Gigabyte's "Ctrl+F1" to access more bios features at the time, then I might have really gotten into it.

Recently had to pull it out of storage and put a new gpu and psu on it while my main pc sits sadly in pieces :upset:
    Still haven't bothered to try and get every MHz out of the cpu and ram, because, who's got the time for old tech (besides t8y).

So on a Gigabyte GA-K8N-F mobo, cpu clocked from 2.2G to 2.8G at 1.65V, ram is OCZ performance series ddr400 (got to love the ddr timings: 2-3-3-6) but doesn't seem to want to clock :thumbdn: I'm probably doing something wrong, but meh.

16. whowalks

whowalks Member

oops can I change that to 8 without looking like a twat :Paranoid:............. No Ok :lol:

17. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

For me overclocking has become too mainstream for my liking. Motherboards use their overclock ability/features as a selling point, video card manufacturers sell pre-overclocked versions, hell even Intel jumped onboard in the last few years when they introduced the Intel Turbo Boost feature which is essentially safe overclocking. For me having being around since the early days of overclocking when every manufacturer frowned upon it, I guess it's lost a bit of it's edge.

Getting older, different responsibilities, family, less time on the computer has probably all contributed to my feelings as well. I think the last time I bothered to do any decent overclocking which involved a hack of some sort was back when I had a dual Xeon setup. I had an ASUS PC-DL Deluxe paired with 2 x 2.4GHz 400MHz FSB CPU's which I believe I purchased off here if memory serves me? Did the good old FSB pin mod so they would detect as having a 533MHz FSB for an instant upgrade speed of 3.2GHz. Looking back it was probably pointless considering games back then really weren't optimised for dual core's! :D

Fun times.

18. Utetopia

Utetopia Member

I've still got all those combos here and then some.

All the gear I have works but the motherboards are where the reliability left the building. I have maybe one NF7-S board, one AN7 & about 5 dead ones. The P4 boards, AI7 x2 & IS7 work but the P4P800-Dlx has given up. SL6Z3/5 CPUs, TCCD RAM etc.

My favourite CPU & mobo combo goes to the 1700+ LT3C and NF7 non-s which went from 1.47 or 1.53 to 2.3GHz under a Thermalright SLK900A clip on HSF. I think it was stable at 2.38 but it ran 2.2 24/7.

19. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

For me overclocking was always about getting a cheap part, like an AMD Sempron or Intel Celeron and getting the equivalent performance of a much more expensive CPU out of the system

These days are basically over. Prices are also much lower. You can get a decent i5 for little money and so for me there is simply no need anymore. We also get older and have the money to buy what we want.

My last overclock was an AMD 754 system with a Sempron overclocked from 1600 to 2400 MHz :)

20. pirate_

pirate_ Member

had a t-bred b jiuhb dut3c on 8rda+ thought it was top shit

those were the days