1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone else feeling a bit nostalgic about overclocking?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by demiurge3141, Nov 30, 2013.

1. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Their Nforce590 AM2 lanparty was also an absolute killer board.. got me a freq WR back when I used to take pleasure out of the fighting the coldbug challenge on K8s, and the only person(s) to beat it used the same board!

C2D's were the chip at the time though so it was a bit under the radar to say the least.

Interesting thread though. When I think not so ancient history.. C2D's were the last TRUE bargain overclockers, after quite a long period of quite ordinary overclocking, they really brought it back from the dead.

I remember Sooo many people were buying E6300s and 6400s and clocking them to 3+Ghz (from 1.86 / 2.13) on the cheap but extremely competent GA-965P's . and don't forget, at least for ~6mths or so, this was an era where dual core was it really. A 3.2Ghz E6300 was often faster than the absolutle top of the line, fastest x86 CPU you could buy.. the X6800

Lets put that example into perspective.. at the time that was like being able to buy, say, an i5 4440 and being able to overclock it into a $1000 4960X .. laughable concept now.

Infact, on the Intel side of things in particular, that's the issue. There's nothing you can overclock anything "into" anymore...

OK, I guess you could say you can OC a 4670K into a 4770K in that the clockspeed advantage will outweigh the hyperthreading performance boost.. but obviously, you can OC the 4770K also, and the price difference isn't THAT severe that it's going to have you feeling warm and fuzzy exactly, is it.

Back then, you had people that could afford the best, and always held that slight performance advantage , then those who couldn't afford it, and took immense pleasure getting so close to high end performance for a fraction of the $$. And as someone mentioned, you could actually feel it.. in games, everything, it made a difference. Definatly good times.

Also worth mentioning is the rather short era of unlockable AMD cores. That was quite fun.. Unlocking ~$100 3Ghz Dual cores into Quads, then OCing them to ~3.8Ghz for good measure. A lottery, yes, but with surprisingly good odds for a bit there! and at a time when Battlefield BC2 came out, with full support for 4 threads. It REALLY made a huge difference.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. arasta

arasta Member

very similar trajectory for me. and oc possibilities/abilities always were in my mind when buying a new cpu/mainboard, and will continue to be.

celly 300A ...i think i had it on a BX board, lucky star from memory?
    an NF7 with an axia or agoia chip (one of the hot batches anyway)?
    DFI lanparty with a 3000+? 1.8 up to near 3, it would use those DDR300 sticks too.

then i sorta slacked a bit, have been skipping gens etc. where im at now is 'one touch' or minim touch overclocks, and low voltage clock. so i dont get 50% but using the 40nm pentium duo on a flashed P5B (rampage flash) all i had to do was change the bus up to 1066 and its away. never been able to cudgel the board into going faster.... but i liked the low power and temps so much i found another for 20 bucks and put it in the media machine, not even really an OC board but fed it 1066 ram and no worries.

i still havent decided if its sandy or ivy or hassle i get next but either way im looking for least effort for gain, and a setup where if im just surfing the web it will clock back, but when i want to game it gives all it has. and if i can shave volts and get the same result with less draw at the wall, even better.

eventually the drive to power efficiency in Intel and AMD will fall back, and at that stage i suspect it will again be interesting for overclocking. i dont think its moribund in the meantime, though it arguably is more niche. ah well...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. t8y

t8y Member

does anyone in here still have old amd FX CPU/board combos that can OC?
    hell we'd be happy with ones that just work stock.

have a read of the link in my sig :)

4. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

I see we won, good job :thumbup:

5. t8y

t8y Member

haha that we did, it was close towards the end, especially with the cheating accusations on xmas eve (wont go into that here but it worked out in the end)

we did end up missing out on the FX submissions we needed but it was pretty last minute call, kinda lamented on it a bit in the thread i linked above also, but honestly, cant blame anyone i guess.
    it was our first real run at the thing so given that we did an amazing job,

but next time will be even better/smoother, i'm sure.
    one main lesson learned is to not just rely on a core group of guys (the team.au and OCAU fellas + a few other local extreme overclockers) - with the often hard to find/obscure hardware needed for some rounds we really needed to include EVERYONE..

hang onto that old hardware guys :thumbup: and keep an eye out come ~november.

even better, join the hwbot team and get some practice in early :D

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  6. auApex

auApex Member

I have to admit I'm sad that all the hours I poured into learning how to overclock by extensively tweaking arcane BIOS settings is now redundant. These days all I do is click the auto-OC button to get me to a moderate frequency. A six-core Intel processor is already total overkill at stock settings. There isn't really any point manually tweaking settings to get an extra couple of hundred mhz, aside from a limited sense of satisfaction.

What I tend to focus on these days is milking every last clock out of my GPUs as this actually improves performance. Overclocking GPUs in software isn't particularly challenging so building a custom watercooled PC to get the required temps is how I flex my enthusiast muscles these days. Even that has been dumbed down a lot as custom watercooling increasingly merges with standardised all-in-one kits. At least we still get to build our machines. Give it a few more years and we'll just be hooking our tiny all-in-one boxes up to a wall socket and streaming everything from the cloud. :(

7. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

I have to agree. OCing isn't as easy or as beneficial as it used to be. Still plenty of it happening (in fact I still OC CAD workstations - they really need the single core performance) but it's now moving towards power saving (and undervolting).

8. Aussiejuggalo

Aussiejuggalo Member

Overclocking now... you really dont get much out of these chips in terms of speed and performance, my 2500k will do 4.5GHz on stock volts, 1.35 pretty easily but it doesnt really make it that much faster it does help a little bit in games like BF4 but not much else.

Some of the new features they added to help overclocking like the advanced power options are good but some others like offset voltage are crap, personally on my rig offset does nothing but cause problems, crashing on idle coz it cant handle 1.6GHz @ 0.8v... when it can do 3.7GHz @ 1.14v :confused:, stupid thing lol

But yes I agree with auApex, overclocking is so easy all you have to do is change a single option now then you get an instant 4.3 - 4.7GHz not a problem. Theres no real skill in it unless your going for something like 6GHz on LN2 :D

From what Im seeing on all the forums everyone seems to be moving away from overclocking and going more to modding and watercooling :leet:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  9. neRok

neRok Member

My first overclock was with a socket 754 sempron 3100+ (1.8ghz) on a nf3 gigabyte mobo. Got it to 2.77ghz = >50% improvement :D (308 fsb x9)
    After that I upgraded to the DFI Lanparty UT NF3 250GB mobo, but didnt get around to trying a big 'clock. I am going to pull it out of the cupboard and have a go soon :leet: 3 ghz here i come (only 7 others over 3 with this cpu on hwbot, only 13 with >2770).

10. Vaper

Vaper Member

Overclocking was way better in those days in terms of savings. There is none anymore, its all come down to profit now. 9 Billion in profit for Intel last year. The only advantage is now its nearly impossibly to break your rig and its way easier. Back in the day I lost a few video cards, PSU's, and MOBO's

11. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

These days you cannot overclock the cpus's you need to overclock, and the ones you can overclock you can't feel the difference.

12. miicah

miicah Member

Lol did everyone have one of the NF7's? Remember getting my 2400XP+ to 2ghz, made BF1942 run smooth as.

13. flinchy

flinchy Member

i first got in in 2007... with my Q6600, out of the box running 4ghz.. how many CPU's can do stuff like that these days.. without buying the top black/k series...

GPU OCing on the other hand.. well you can make it perform like it's a full series up most of the time at least?

hell, i have absolutely zero desire to upgrade from my i7 920.. i can't think of anything where i'm bottlenecked CPU or memory wise

GPU's upgrading though, my 6950 feels like it may as well be 10 years old.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  14. cvidler

cvidler Member

lol, Intel's always been about profit, as is any company. Selling a CPU for $100 that can be overclocked to eat the market from their $1000 CPU isn't smart business.

We were just lucky for many years, in that it was a small enough overclocker market that it didn't cause Intel any grief, it was when the dodgy sellers started selling rebadged CPUs started giving Intel a bad name (when they turned out to be flakey), that's when they set about stopping it.

As for performance gains now vs. then. We're living in an age where the technology has outpaced our needs. IMHO it's a good thing. No longer do we need to constantly upgrade, buying new systems/parts when a new game comes out. These days the bottleneck is the GPU and/or the refresh rate on out displays. the CPU's are ticking over, SSDs give us enough bandwidth.

15. A||uSiOn

A||uSiOn Member

I just did a search for my old posts since day dot, i highly recommend it for you old timers :)

Leadtek, WinFast A300 TD PICTURES! This is just stupid.. (Multi-page thread 1 2 3)
    XP2400 AIUHB0316 - New Packaging aswell.... (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    DURON1400@2266Mhz! Can anyone get a better chip for $60? (Multi-page thread 1 2 3 4 5 6)
    Mushkin Enhanced PC3200 Special Edition - 255 2 2 2 5 possible...BH-6 stuff...Review (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    XP2500+ that does 2.74Ghz - Will watercooling get me.... (Multi-page thread 1 2)
    Overclock Results - Celeron 2.0Ghz at 3.1 NO VOLTAGE ON SHITTY BOARD

16. OP
    OP
    demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

Lol Q6600 WAS the top black/k series back in 2007. My favourite was an E2140 which ran at 3.5g.

17. Visentinel

Visentinel Member

I miss my old athlon XP

I built it on a tiny budget

AthlonXP 2200+ Stepping Code AIUHB
    Thermaltake Volcano full Copper Heat sink (Id be rich now if i kept it)

I cannot remember the board, it was some funny name that used to make purple motherboards.
    500 watt PSU i got from the computer fair, the guy selling them said he used to make them himself in the shed.

I clocked it to 400FSB and 2.4GHZ !!!!!! (200 x 12)

The things i miss the most was how the motherboard made crazy buzzing noises when you ran a heavy load on the CPU and the Fans and Hardrives both spun noticeably slower when the CPU draws lots of power :lol::lol:

I also had a Radeon 9800Pro
    One day i started getting artifacts in the textures so i got a packet of chipset coolers and cut them into smaller quarters and glued them using epoxy resin to the memory chips on the radeon, and sorted !

Edit - Soltek Motherboard =D

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  18. t8y

t8y Member

had a 2600+ of the same stepping with a volcano9 (with AS3 paste, a 120mm fan adapter bolted onto it, and a 35mm thick high RPM panaflo - fairly beast cooling of the time!), it ran 2.4ghz most its useful life, retired to the missus after i'd built a Q6600 PC and clocked it "down" to 2.2ghz for her, was more than enough for her needs (add an SSD and itd probably still be fine for her uses even today lol, but she wanted a laptop)

got bored and had some leftover dry ice from a more modern gear benching session, decided to give that old AMD setup a proper send-off

did 2.8 before i ran into limits on the board - could not provide enough vcore to proceed further.
    never would have thought id ever run into that issue back in the day :lol:
    it went no further with ln2 either.

mobo has since given out, thinking maybe the 3.3v memory vmod shorted out against a case or something :(

and seriously, i've said this before but if any of you guys still have this old gear and want to push it, or even just push the "overpowered/pointless to OC modern gear", check the link in my sig :thumbup:
    theres a team cup warmup stage on at the moment which requires some old stuff too, OCAU could use the help (in both it, and the actual team cup coming soon)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  19. Visentinel

Visentinel Member

I have some old CPU's just no boards for them :)
    theres a couple of socket 775 and old athlon XP's

but the real gems are the 386SX and 486DX2 chips i have.
    I used to oc the 486DX2 from 66mhz to 100mhz :D

the chip in my sons PC is one of the C0 i think stepping of the socket 775's that end with an E or start with an E ?
    its the golden sample stepping everyone used to kill their own mother for. it OC's off its Head !!

20. shane41

shane41 Member