Anyone else feeling a bit nostalgic about overclocking?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by demiurge3141, Nov 30, 2013.

1. t8y

t8y Member

five stages each with different hardware requirements, categories and rundown;

#1: Cloud Gate GT 610 - only requirement is the GT610 GPU, so can be on any system - high clocked intel probably best choice
    our man zeropluszero currently leading this one but any improvement welcome i guess with 25 days left for other teams to respond.. though id say his current submission is a placeholder since its run at low CPU clocks, stock GPU lol. dat troll

#2: HWBOT Prime AMD 1xCPU - single core AMD only, ideally a ln2 cooled sempron or something i guess? but any high stock clockspeed AMD late gen singlecore should suffice for a starting point.

#3: Wprime 32M Pentium II - any P2 class CPU, this includes those madman celerons of the era :D

#4: Rare Vendor 3DMark03 - some hard to find GPUs required for this one

#5: SDR-Ram Memory Clock - just all out memory OC, nothing else matters, CPU speed irrelevant, and single channel w/ super loose timings fine etc..

have at it guys!
    post up in our hwbot team thread if you have something that meets the criteria, the guys there can try to give you pointers on the ins/outs of the benchmarks if need be :)

doesnt need to be super duper subzero WR level overclocking, as we saw with the recent country cup, anything that meets the criteria will help :)
    this is especially so for stage 4 i guess, any submission is better than nothing at all

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

Had fun overclocking in the past

E8600 and Asus X48 P5E3 Premium

This chip did 4.00Ghz under stock volts, and had it stable at 4.5Ghz on Air. Also passed a test at 5.0ghz but too hot. Still got this board and cpu, sitting around doing nothing.

my i7 930 i had clocked at 4.2Ghz for the 3 years i had it, ive had a good run with CPUs, until now, my i7 2600K is pretty dissapointing, havnt been able to get it stable past 4.2Ghz. Everything just on stock these days.

Still like to overclock, dont have the most recent hardware, may have to pull out the E8600 and chuck it under water or LN2 to see how far it will go!

3. A||uSiOn

A||uSiOn Member

Hmmmmm might build one :)

Celeron 566@1028MHz,1.90v
    ABIT BE6-II

4. i4560011

i4560011 Member

Overclocking has became too easy that it is not fun, and performance of current chips has reached the point that it is more than enough for everyday use.

Best memories of overclocking include a Intel 1.6a chip hitting 2.6Ghz -a full 1ghz overclock back in 2002

mucking around with Intel socket 479 Tualatin cpus designed for laptops on a 478 board.

Unlocking pipelines and shaders on geforce 6800 cards.

5. t8y

t8y Member

erm, okay :Paranoid:

edit: ah i see.
    looking into tantalum on wiki, i still cant see the issue, they even say its used in body implants lol

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  6. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

wrong thread? :cool:

7. akromatic

akromatic Member

IMO you can still get some undiluted overclocking fun with AMD systems. APUs are much fun to play with and still offer room to milk performance out of at moderate low costs

intel ruined overclocking by releasing k series.

8. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

my first ever dribble at o/c was an intel pentium 166mhz running at 183mhz. i thought i was king shit!

since then, i cant remember, but ive been through pentium 2, pentium III and so forth.

Who remembers the Pentium 3 550e, it was a cartridge based processor, that was hardcore shit back then

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I remember the good old days of overclocking, the competing, the purchases, the money, etc. I even remember when this website was an overclocking/PC website! Can anyone else remember those days? :p

What I probably miss most is the OCer personalities, they've gone now unfortunately.

Great days while they lasted, but like most hobbies, they come to an end at some point, and you move on to something else. These days I just want a nice up to date top end PC that works, with no hassles.

10. NormM

NormM Member

Ah, memories of the old P3V4X. That was one of my reasons for joining OCAU, the Asus P3V4X forum.

Still have the machine, hasn't run in years I think the slocket died :(

Can't believe it's been 14 years :Paranoid:

11. Dr freedom

Dr freedom Member

P3V4X.. those were the days.
    P3 450, I was stoked when I hit 500 with it.

I remember when Toms Hardware was exposed for the Intel loving they showed over AMD & the cool vid they used to pimp of the AMD chip burning up, showing how it was inferior :leet:

12. Visentinel

Visentinel Member

Yep. OC is about buying the cheapest chips and making them faster than the best. Now they locked everything up tight and K series are the high end parts.

It's not even the correct letter ! It should be O series.

13. congoh

congoh Member

Would cause too much confusion between 0 and O.
    2600K or 2600O. :D