Anyone got a great photobook? (Xbook?)

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by ricee007, Feb 25, 2014.

1. ricee007

ricee007 Member

DIT:-> If anyone who has used Artisan State recently in Adelaide would consider allowing me and my fiance to have a look, it'd be much appreciated...
    Howdy,

It seems are two options are to pay $1,500 for a photobook from a wedding photographer.... or pay $80-$120 by ordering one online.

Anyone had any personal experience with photobooks? Looking to do a test run and see if we are happy with the quality.

Requirements:
    Full page pictures (ie: no borders)
    Lay flat
    Probably A4 landscape
    Probably really thick paper, but would consider Satin paper.
    Hardcover.

http://www.xbook.com.au/pricing_for_layflat_photobooks.php looks the best from what I can find, but does anyone have any personal experiences that are not just clearly a paid advertisement (like all I can find)

EDIT:->$100 more expensive, but might be alright? http://www.bigwphotos.com.au/photo-books/12-x-12-premium-layflat-photo-book-with-box/

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Deftone2k

Deftone2k In the Darkroom

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  3. TwinII

TwinII Member

I was going to suggest Artisan State too. I got a little black book of theirs and was happy with it.

4. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I did a blurb book which turned out very nicely..

However, I then did a mypublisher book and the quality on the bestest photo paper they have is utterly astonishing... Think matt gloss type paper that's thicker and is finger & stratch resistant... Best of all, it was $79 delivered for 100 pages (with the use of a coupon)..

they have a layflat option..

5. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Artisian State looks great!

That is the second recommendation I've heard for Blurb as well.

Thanks team.

6. Eclipsor

Eclipsor Member

We did our wedding album recently. Used Blurb because of mentions I saw here a while back and because of the integration with LR. Very happy with the quality of the printing. Although we did a yearbook as well and used a coloured background which didn't seem to print evenly.

Just watch if using Lightroom though that you check the book preview once it is in Blurb to make sure it is all there. We lost half the photos and didn't realise until it was delivered. Props to Blurb though. They gave us a code to redo it for nothing.

Don't think Blurb have a lay flat option though, so we put borders on most of the pages.

Also, never pay full price. They have coupons through their mailing lists galore.

7. Xang

Xang Member

8. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Don't opt for super thick pages.

Don't do all full-bleed double pages. Have some borders. It frames the image better.

Don't cram more than 6 images across a double page.

BigW. Fuck no.

Akh-Horus likes this.
  9. methd

methd Member

Plenty of rules there to know and break :)

10. methd

methd Member

A quick review:

I printed a test book from Artisan State a few months ago and even though it's brilliant for its price, it definitely sits below KISS and Queensberry for quality. The single biggest problem I see with Artisan is that they don't wrap their leather around the edges and simply cut it, which annoys me to no end. By doing it this way they save a lot on labour (and looks too). For the price versus quality conscious, they're the way to go though but if you can't compromise on quality regardless of price, there's other companies that are a lot better. As a wedding photographer for me: it's quality first, then price. I give Artisan 7/10 disregarding the price and looking at the product only.

I also printed a test leatherette from Artisan and it stinks. I'm not sure what the smell is, perhaps either glue or some sort of leatherette cleanser but after two weeks left out, it still smells pretty bad. They seriously can't think that's normal?

Kiss recently released their Tuscan range which I did a test print also, and I think that's one of the best flush mount leather albums out there in the market. I give it a 9/10.

So the final judgement? I've decided to offer both ranges from Kiss AND Artisan and I've got examples of both at the studio for the client to view. If they're happy to forego the shortcomings of Artisan for a third the price, then the option is there. I can't offer Artisan by itself though... the quality isn't quite there yet compared to the others.

11. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Thanks mate, that is interesting.

I might know someone who could make a KISS account.... I wonder if that might be a better option than Artisan State.

EDIT:-> If anyone who has used Artisan State recently in Adelaide would consider allowing me and my fiance to have a look, it'd be much appreciated...

12. lionman

lionman Member

We have done a few through Blurb and we keep going back.

They have a great plugin for Adobe InDesign which makes the whole process so flexible and easy. You can even complete the order from within InDesign.

End rsults are very good in my humble opinion.

I have tried a couple of others which used crappy online web aps and they where not fun.

13. MickybD

MickybD Member

I've just ordered a sample book from them, so I'll watch this thread and let you know when it arrives if you haven't already seen one.

14. Deftone2k

I'd say it will be, but the price is more than Artisan State :)

15. dche5390

dche5390 Member

I agree with you about the smell! I thought it was only me.

I should note that only the little leather book came with unwrapped leather around the cover. My other 2 samples (which were the non-super-cheap option) had wrapped leather. But I ordered almost 3-5 months ago. Things may have changed?

Definitely agree on quality < KISS. There is a significant price difference.

16. OP
    OP
    ricee007

ricee007 Member

Oh mate, that would be fantastic.

EIther way, cheaper than getting our wedding photographer (who, we have not found yet as a BTW) to make one for around $1,500.

Whilst that is helpful... it also actually probably sways it back to having Artisan as the favourite now, not KISS.

$120 v $300 isn't going to break the bank. Especially if this way, we can get three photobooks for, say, $680... instead of, say, $3,000.

17. Deftone2k

Yeah it costs generally a little more than $300 cost (extra for leather, extra for embossing, extra $ per spread if you want more than the base 10 (which is really hard to fit a comprehensive wedding into) and shipping from the US).

It will cost less because you are not paying for someone to design it, correspondence, change sessions etc etc. Power to you if you are savvy enough and don't mind devoting the time. If you want some pointers feel free to PM.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  18. methd

methd Member

and shipping for kiss is usually around the $100 mark too. pretty sure artisan sends from China and their shipping is 10-20.

19. anthonyM

anthonyM New Member

Whatever you do, DON'T use XBOOK Photobooks. They never answer phone calls, they have some 3rd party dodgy answering service company passing on messages....I've tried to contact them around 12 times without success, so if you order a book and they take your money, don't expect to be able to contact them in any way.

Aratama_Bashi likes this.