Anyone got an automatic pet feeder?

Discussion in 'Pets & Animals' started by fleetfeather, Sep 22, 2016.

1. fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Hi all,

Looking to obtain an automatic pet feeder for our rescue cat. He seems to enjoy 6am feedings more than his owners do, and the ability to give him lunch when we're out at work would be great too.

Our cat primarily eats wet food, so something that has sealed compartments (so the food doesn't dry out overnight) is kinda important.

Anyone got any recommendations or tips for us?

2. power

power Member

3. OP
    OP
    fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

I saw those ones, but they're unlikely to have a good enough seal to keep the wet food from drying out, and I figured that some feedback from product owners themselves might save me from the lucky dip aspect of 'trying and returning' :)

4. power

power Member

good point, may also depend on the quality of the food - I know the food our cat has to eat now (diabetic diet) is so good it stays moist and edible for the entire day whereas the old fancy feast he ate before is dried out shit by halfway through the day.

5. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Could be a tough ask. Most feeders rely on gravity as a delivery system. Any good seal will defeat this, which is why they generally just have a hinged flap, or a sluice type gate or something. They usually aren't suitable for wet food.

Are you handy with DIY and electronics. Could probably make one with an Arduino controller.

6. CheeseHunter

CheeseHunter Member

Had a look into this about a year ago when I got my cats. Didnt really find anything out there.

There is this product which havent used and is limited to what brands you can use with it:

http://www.catzenpup.com/

7. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

8. CheeseHunter

CheeseHunter Member

Most of those ones for wet food just have ice blocks to prolong the food.

9. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

You were expecting refrigeration?

10. OP
    OP
    fleetfeather

fleetfeather Member

Thanks for all the feedback thus far. When I say "automatic", I'm simply referring to a timer-based access mechanism. I can definitely appreciate that the gravity fed solutions won't work :)

Chilled storage isn't a major concern; the wet sachets that our cat likes don't require refrigeration

11. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

12. Lupuscrux

Lupuscrux Member

that first one that was posted, we have 2 of and they (for us at least) worked fine with keeping the cat food "fresh" for a weekend away ( 2 cats morning and night feeds)

and given your only talking overnight would work fine.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016