1. Check out OCAU's review of the SpaceX Starlink satellite internet service!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone got Gel ball guns?

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Kommandant33, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

Hey all,

Anyone on OCAU got a gel ball gun?

I have just found out about them - they are sort of a cross between an airsoft gun, a nerf gun and a water pistol..

They fire this gel ball - you get the ball, soak it in water and it expands to about 3x the size.

Some of the guns look pretty cool - but too realistic, and will probably be the end of the toys in Australia.

anyway - show us what you've got!

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

they were being sold at RTX as cosplay guns. some online shop called armoured heaven was there and selling this stuff.

3. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

yeah still a few shops selling online :thumbup:

4. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

yeah i'm not too sure about it. i prefer airsoft over gel.

5. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

but airsoft is illegal in Aus - these are the best you can get legally* at the moment

6. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i know but they're not when i was in canada and i owned an airsoft glock 17 :D

with gas blowback and everything.

http://www.skeletonsidearms.com/

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
  7. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

I want to pick up one or two of them for the fun of it. Unfortunately Armoured havens prices are on the high side. I particularly have my eyes on a p90, vector and/ or the m4 terminator.

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

just add further note to this.. most of the Online retailers are on Hiatus due to the February shipment being Seized by Border.. over the legality of these...

stay tuned... tho if you want risk it you can try to import your own

as for prices.. meh... AH has a BM store you can walk into... your choice to buy the guns or not

9. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Gel Ball Shooters would be classified as Air Guns, and thus Firearms. According to NSW Firearms Registry.

10. Pugs

Pugs Member

which is fine.. but the rest of Aus isn't NSW and these had been selling for the past ~18 months without issues

11. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I'll have to hunt it down, it may have been from border protection.

Looking at AH, I wouldn't really be all that surprised if they're not allowed to sell it here.

12. Pugs

Pugs Member

As a Milsimer I know people who have owned them for over 18months.. they are stronger than Taidis... Hence the appeal to people going to conventions and using them as props... I was waiting on a P226 just to use a prop... Most people in the community believe there was a tip off By a disgruntled ex member of the community... Who he himself got entangled by trying to import his own...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2017
  13. Pugs

Pugs Member

Taidi toy guns
    24 February ·
    Be advised that today a 20foot container sized shipment of 77 cartons of gel ball guns was seized by ABF. I have started legal proceedings appealing the toys being defined as airsoft and replicas as prohibited imports.
    What this means is I have a fight ahead of me through layers of red tape, my advice to others is to ensure you comply with your local laws
    I don't expect a quick resolution as ABF will back its decision and need convincing that these are not legally an air soft
    I will update this page whenever I get more information

Taidi toy guns
    27 February
    Ai there been a lot of talk about gel ball guns being seized and about what that means, what some people are missing is that standard taidi toys were also seized and declared as replica weapons. This is a significant departure from the border processes for the last several years, we think an ABF official has been over zealous and there is no other nefarious reason or conspiracy that has lead to this.
    The next step is a simple administrative appeal which we believe will see the toys released

Taidi toy guns
    14 March at 13:25 ·
    My lawyer got the seizure notice today, expect news this week

Taidi toy guns
    16 March at 19:30 ·
    Still fighting the seizure, spoke to the lawyer several times today and we are waiting on ABF sending back info they haven't yet supplied....red tape much!

14. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

It would have happened eventually, and their likeness to real firearms probably hasn't helped either.

15. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

I don't care what his overheads are and yes I have exercised my choice not to buy based on the prices. Although I am somewhat regretting not getting something as it looks like these may not be a thing for much longer.

Sadly trestrictions are inevitable. As I understand it the only reason these things exist is to bypass the airsoft regulations in China and similar countries.

16. Pugs

Pugs Member

there was also Plastic Armoury... High Caliber Cosplay... Claytons

Last edited: Mar 29, 2017
  17. OP
    OP
    Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I wonder if it would be better having futuristic gaming guns as gel ball blasters - more like a "nerf" version, as there is no way they could be confiscated for being a replica

18. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

From memory, there's been a few Nerf guns that can't be imported recently

19. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

There were a few of that variety and I think that would be a good compromise if these could be guaranteed legal.

20. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Realistically, most people really wanted them because they look like real guns.