1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone used tasmania campers?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by ausghostdog, Aug 9, 2016.

1. ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

I am looking at travelling around Tasmania May next year,
    I've been looking at camper vans and one group that does operate at that time is http://www.tasmaniacampers.com.au/, most groups seem to close at Winter oddly enough however, I can not find many reviews for them, anyone had any dealings ?

2. Frogloose

Frogloose (Banned or Deleted)

They close during the offseason as getting around the place can be difficult due to road closures etc. Not to mention how cold it gets. Won't be able to access most of the national parks will be inaccessible as well.

Best off going a bit earlier, mid-end of April at the latest.

3. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Most of the places that close over winter do so after June.

4. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Frogloose, i know the thread is old, but i would just like to know where you live ???

5. Frogloose

When I was down there at the start of May this year apart from Hobart/surrounds it was single digits during the day and snow down to 800m (plenty of snow of the road edges between Queenstown and Dewert Bridge.

Also found a lot of places were shut or not running because there was no one around, especially around Strahn.

6. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

You must have been here at the wrong time, because i can tell you (as a 60 year resident of Tasmania) that it is not like that very often, contrary to what Mainlanders might like to think, we get short periods where we get a snowfall, and it may close a few roads here and there for a few days, but definitely nothing more than that, and many of our tourist attractions and accommodation places still remain open all thru winter, so it is not as bad as outsiders make it out to be.

There are places in NSW and Victoria that record much colder temps than we get anywhere in Tasmania, and that includes at the top of our highest mountains when there is snow on them, and i have a friend in Coonabarabran, and during winter he rings me, and it can be anywhere between 0 and -7 degrees during winter, and that is without any snow.

Edit: friend just told me it gets to -8 where he is, and -15 was recorded in Coonabarabran, we never have any temps anywhere near that low, even Canberra, Bendigo and Ballarat get lower temps than we get.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  7. Frogloose

Historical data says no.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/au/hobart/15390/may-weather/15390

Mind you thats Hobart which is always warmer then the rest of the state due to its geography.

8. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

9. Kurgan

Kurgan Member

Have driven around Tasmania in winter, was fine. Weather was warmer than here in Canberra.

10. OP
    OP
    ausghostdog

ausghostdog Member

Thanks guys, I gave up on Tasmania campers and have gone with Hertz. I've gone with the 2-4 Berth M/home shower/toilet for the time I am down there.