Anyone using 200mm radiators?

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by 1pqlamz, Feb 24, 2019.

1. 1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

Hey guys:
    I'm working on an external radiators project. Figured it would be best to use 200mm fans for large surface area and low RPM and noise.

So...anyone here used 200mm radiator before, wondering how good the performance is and what kind of fan to use for best cooling.

2. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yep, I've had a Phobya one in the front of a Corsair 600T for my second real loop. Worked well, had a 3770 and GTX 690 under it. Fan was a Bitfenix Spectre Pro.

It's about equivalent in surface area to a slimmer 360 from memory.

I'm re-doing my external radiator at the moment also - gave away a lot of the supporting parts, so waiting on a box, brackets and fans to turn up. Phobya 1080.

3. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

Nice! What kinda RPM are you running for the fan, I have a couple of Noctua NF20, not sure if those will run fast enough.

My current plan is to have 4 200mm radiators to cool a 6700k and 2080ti, I know it js overkill but I would rather have fans on very low Rpm for low noose.

You can check out my current setup in the Core P5 build I posted, the external radiators are for aircon...looks terrible so I want to swap them out.

4. juzz86

juzz86 Member

From memory it was as low as the 600T's fan controller would take it - few years ago now, but I do remember that fan controller wasn't overly granular - big dial, not so much variation in RPM. It was quiet enough, though.

I was perving on your P5 yesterday - I actually really like the heat exchanger look you've got going on at the moment, but I understand the desire to tidy it up a bit and take up a bit less space. Your plexiglass work on the rad box is admirable. What's temps in the rig like under benchmarking?

I reckon I'd go for two push/pull 200mm in the box and drop the bottom layer of heat exchangers completely. The FPI on the PC rads will probably be a bit higher than on the air conditioner exchangers, but you lose double-pass so you won't need as much fan power to get the air through. Hold onto your NF20's, they're about the best 200mm fan you can buy. They'll do push/pull through a single rad idling :thumbup:

5. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

With the current setup, the coolant is about 5° above ambient under load with the fans running on full speed. Cpu/gpu stock frequence under load is around 55°c/45°c, with 30°c coolant temp. Idle temperature roughly equals coolant temp.
    My 6700k is delided, with liquid metal applied, CPU temp might vary a lot from different cpus and thermal compound though, so idk if this is a good reference.
    And btw, where's your source of all the parts? I normal shop at pccasegear but they don't have everything.

6. juzz86

juzz86 Member

That's very good temperature-wise. I'm about 3°C warmer (coolant) loaded up on a 420 (pull) with a 7700K and 980Ti at roughly the same ambient. De-lidded/LM here too.

There's few places to buy exotic cooling gear locally anymore. I've done a couple of Au.Aquatuning orders, Koolance, eBay, sale section here (after 90 days membership) - wherever I need to go to get it really.

7. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

Hmm...I know a place that do custom made radiators(high pressure rad), copper tube with aluminium fin. Problem is they normally take large orders, abnormal sizes like 200mm*200mm are gonna be expensive. If anyone wants a few 200*200 rad, I can get them to reduce the price.
    They do have a few 120,240,360 in stock, will post a few photos shortly.

8. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

juzz86 likes this.
  9. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Tidy looking unit. What's the fin density? Dual-pass?

10. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

These are different to normal pc radiators in design, normally you have water channels stuck between fins and coolant goes through multiple tubes at once. These however just have a single 9.52mm copper tube running back and forth across the fin stack, coolant will spend more time in rad, more heat transfer, but will affect flow rate since the water channel in rad is longer.
    Not too sure about the fin density, but looks pretty tight to me.

11. sammy_b0i

sammy_b0i Laugh it up, fuzzball!

12. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

Yes, those will definitely be better looking, but problem is I don't know where to get those here in Australia. And plus, the price is definitely another factor, those rads I mentioned above is about $30-60 shipping not included.

13. juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah I've used Watercool and Phobya HPC's which use the same exchanger design. They work well, as long as you can force the air into them - I gave them away because the fan noise was too much.

14. Carby

Carby Member

I put a single 200mm Phobya into my brothers PC, ran some random 200mm fan on PWM.
    I had to have the radiator internal due to posting it to him so it required a biiiiig case. (Brother has me build every gaming PC he has, he pays for it but he can afford to.)

I sealed around the edges of the fan and radiator with weather seal tape to ensure all fan air draw came through radiator, not through the admittedly slim gaps between the fan and the radiator.

It did a 970 and 6700k on single loop without breaking a sweat and was quiet.
    On idle, near silent.
    On full gaming(note CPU is usually 20% ish in games while GPU is flogged) the pump - also on PWM - got *just* loud enough to hear.
    But the fan was still idling.

Still playing *looks at Steam Friends* Arma 3 after 4 years and being posted (Perth-> Mel, Mel->Newcastle) while filled with water twice. No leaks yet, from radiator or anything else.

I plan on doing another build this year for myself. A 200mm radiator - or bigger if I can - is on the cards.
    No replacement for displacement. :)

15. mtma

mtma Member

Can't comment on usability but just to put it out there, a small car radiator from something newer like a Yaris is only like 300x450. So a 4x200 setup isn't worlds away from car radiator territory.

16. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

Yeah, I've also looked into car radiators but unfortunately, most of those are aluminium, mixing metal will create problems.

17. havabeer

havabeer Member

And no standard sized mounting holes

18. OP
    OP
    1pqlamz

1pqlamz New Member

Obviously, but that's not the main issue here, you can always custom make some acylic panel that sits on top to be a mounting plate.