1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Anyone using an eGPU

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by c0ldm3th0d, Nov 15, 2018.

1. c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

Picked up a new MacBook Pro last week and I am grabbing a Razer Core X. Even though it has a 560x I want something with a bit more grunt.

Has anyone had any experience with eGPU's are they worth the money at all?

2. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

I have a Core X + RX580 into a 2017 15" (3.1 i7 + 560)

Works flawlessly in MacOS, bit of a pain in the ass to get going in bootcamp and the ~20% performance penalty on faster cards for using thunderbolt vs internal is accurate.

Despite the performance penalty, it definitely displaces my gaming PC - Not that I have time to play games anymore, but having the option is nice. :tongue:

3. giles666

giles666 Member

I have the Blackmagic one from Apple. Using it with a new Mcbook Pro and the LG Display.

Works flawlessly :)

4. OP
    OP
    c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

I was thinking of going the Black Magic one but I want to be able to upgrade down the road. This machine is a 6 year plan so I kinda spent everything on it LOL.

I have a Gigabyte 580 coming and a core X so ill see how it goes :p

I would like to play the odd game here and there but honestly im not overly fussed about it. I have a Switch for my gaming needs :p

5. giles666

giles666 Member

Yeah, that is a downside, but it was easy, it's guaranteed to work.

6. OP
    OP
    c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

I spoke to one of the guys I used to work with who has one, took my machine over and had a play and I think ill be happy with my purchase. The BlackMagic one now comes in a Vega version but I'm not keen on the price :S

7. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

the black magic design units also had questionable thermals, when under mild load and got worse from there. they quietly pulled them from the stroe the week before the NY apple event. I'd think that a revised version is definitely going to bow as soon as Navi is in the wild or 7nm Vega+.

I'd suggest going with ASUS's, Razer or MSI's version of the eGPU/TB3/usbc enclosure as they're suitably over built with bigger Power supplies and i/o for more full size GPUs and for bang for buck that's what you want 100%. the RX590 has just dropped this pastr week on a new process node shrink and gives a nice little bump over the RX580 from essentially the same design with better thermals (runs cooler).

Best of luck. I have to wait until next year to pull the trigger on my next unit.

8. giles666

giles666 Member

Personally haven't had any thermal issues (and they are still available at apple so I don't know what you mean about pulling them).

I've flogged it an it stays quiet and doesn't throttle.

9. OP
    OP
    c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

well the core and the gigabyte GPU arrived at work today, decided that ill put the sapphire 580 in as it has nice blue fans and leave the gigabyte for the main gaming rig as it has the same RGB fusion that the motherboard does, pics and such when I can

10. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Where are people getting the Razer/Asus/MSI ones from? I'm also in the market for one to assist in video encoding in FCP, so I don't roast my macbook pro's internals. Also it would be nice to game on my shiny new 4k monitor (I'll probably have to drop the rez to 1080p though, as I have on hand an RX580 to put in the eGPU)

11. OP
    OP
    c0ldm3th0d

c0ldm3th0d Member

I got mine from scorptec was $469 I think. I have played with the set-egpu to force the usage of the egpu and it seems to be ok. It still uses a little from the onboard GOU that I can see but still its not bad. More testing to come over the next few weeks though.

12. vk2fro

vk2fro Member

Thanks - both PLE and Mwave were out of stock. Gotta pay of a bit more on the credit card first tho, but will get one from scorptec when I'm ready :)