Anyone using XiaoMi

Discussion in 'Google Android (OS & Devices)' started by ?HILTHY, Feb 28, 2015.

1. ?HILTHY

?HILTHY Member

As the headline.. im checking out my next phone and was intending to get the one plus one.

Then I read more on the XiaoMI and on paper the specs seem great.

Has anyone used their products before?

2. Billzilla

Billzilla Member

I've never heard of them before but they look half all right.
    XDA have sub-forums on them as well, that's a good sign.

3. marknvicky

marknvicky Member

I havent but I am looking at the Xiaomi Mi Note could be my next phone
    Waiting for a few reviews and real world feed back first

4. archie

archie Member

I too was interested in these if there were any decent custom roms out (or cyanogenmod), however doesn't look like it at this stage.

Don't like MIUI, similar to the iphone GUI which I cannot stand

5. marknvicky

marknvicky Member

At least you can still put a custom launcher on there like Google or Nova
    And running a Qualcomm processor there is more chance of a custom rom than on a Mediatek processor

6. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

I had a Redmi 1 (gave to my mum now) and a Mi Pad 7.9 recently.

Hardware wise, they are decent. Well, they just buy from Qualcomm/Nvidia so nothing can go wrong. Biggest selling point is that they are dirt cheap. Redmi 2 is selling for around $150 and the Mi Pad with Tegra K1 (underclocked Nexus 9) is selling for $285. You seriously can't beat the price for the hardware you get.

But....here's the but:
    1. Their updates are slow and they don't seems to update older models much if at all. Think Samsung 3 years ago. So their support is crap.

2. MIUI feels like iOS, but even if you use customer launcher to bypass the visuals and features, the whole MIUI rom is relatively buggy compared to the big players (Sammy, Sony, LG, HTC etc.). Their phones OS is ok but the pad OS on the Mi Pad is buggy as hell.

3. Their cameras are usually pretty average unless you by their flagships (Mi 4, Mi Note)

4. Chinese version has no Google Play store. If you buy the international version, then it's ok. So currently the flagships (Mi 4 and Mi Note) will not have Play Store preinstalled.

In conclusion, I personally think their mid range phones (Redmi range) are very good for bang for bucks. However, their flagships I'm not so sure because it's not exactly the cheapest phones around for what you get. The Mi Note 32Gb is going for $575 not including shipping, so it be at least $600 when it gets to Aus. That's around the price for the LG G3 which is a much better choice imo.

With smartphones now, ever single manufacturer can get the same hardware. What sets the top brands from the 2nd tier brands is pretty much software, support and stability, and that's why I will never buy 2nd tier brands for my main phone.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  7. mtma

mtma Member

My relatives use them. My father has two, an Mi3 and a Redmi Note.

Hardware wise they are pretty solid. Not trying too hard to be the lightest or the thinnest, good display, good touch response and good build quality. The reason for getting the second one was not because the first one broke, so that's a good thing.

They used to have a few oddities in terms of either battery life or features (for example Mi3 only came with a 3G radio, which would have been the case for only some midrange phones at the time) in exchange for the price.

Not being a direct user, I can't really comment on software stability.

Also yes, MIUI's staple is mimicking iOS, which is not everybody's cup of tea.

As with others, I wouldn't consider the brand in general at the flagship level, but they do offer a lot for the price on their second tier gear.

8. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i installed one of the XiaoMi roms onto my samsung tablet and it sucked.. you couldn't even remove stuff from the home page!!