Anyone writing code in D or Rust?

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by deepspring, Nov 3, 2016.

1. deepspring

deepspring Member

I've been circling both languages for some time now trying to decide which one would be worth the effort to learn (with the hope that I can one day finally kick C out of my brain).

Was wondering what opinions others have (if they use one of the two languages)?

From the documentation and tutorials I've read (coming from a C background), D is easier to pick up and use to the point that a 5 year old could pick it up.

Rust appears a lot more complex. It's like it's got it's own terminology that requires a computer engineering degree to interpret.

(Those are just personal opinions and my experiences, feel free to correct me.)

I tend to collect "new" languages for my own personal amusement.

2. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Bugger it! I can't decide. I will try to learn both (starting with Rust).

I'm going to be hospital for another two weeks anyway, and TV is shit, and rehab groups are overrated.

3. neRok

neRok Member

I can't help with any technical advice, but Rust sounds cooler :lol:

4. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Sure beats having to deal with all the funny politically-incorrect slurs. :lol:

5. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

Rust was tying my brain into knots. I've ditched it because of the lack of adequate documentation and examples to work from. :(

After completing the Guessing Game exercise in rust, I was trying to do some of the [http://cryptopals.com/]cryptopals.com[/url] challenges, and I couldn't even get through the first exercise (converting HEX encoded string to Base 64) before hitting a brick wall. The issue came when I wanted to one step further than the expected for the exercise and decode the actual message.

Encode Hex string to Base 64 :thumbup:
    Decode Base 64 to a a string :thumbdn:

Anyway I swapped over to D, and I'm finding it much more cooperative to deal with.

6. Foliage

Foliage Member

Why do you want to learn it?

I would recommend learning a traditional language, if you need safety then learn Ada as that is what the industry uses. Rust is very new and sits in a weird spot between normal languages and safety languages like Ada. I don't know if I see it taking off.

7. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

I don't want to learn a new language for work, if I was going to do that I would focus on [full stack] C# and ASP.net, because that is the only thing that employers look for in this area (Lower Hunter Region.)

Edit: Why do people learn other spoken languages? I have a habit of collecting programming languages for my own amusement.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  8. gibbz

gibbz Member

i use d lang myself after having to many issues with python. I find its pretty easy to learn and use. And all the tools automatically set them selves up, so its a cinch to get up and running with it :)

9. OP
    OP
    deepspring

deepspring Member

I've ended up ditching Rust for the simple reason of it doing my head in. You practically need to be the programming equivalent of an acrobat to get simple tasks done.

I'm focusing only on D now.

Edit: I've been out of action for a while, hence the late update.