AOC 416V Monitor Review – 24” widescreen for under $370

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Rational, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Rational

Rational Member

Introduction

Those who keep a close eye on the prices of PC components, in particular LCD monitors, over the last 12 months would have noticed that relatively large widescreen monitors have become increasingly affordable. The 22” widescreen LCD hence has become tremendously popular for users who seek large amounts of screen real estate for a price in the vicinity of $300 depending on the model and the store. Cluey consumers who believe strongly in high quality display devices however will point out that these super cheap, almost too-good-to-be-true monitors tend to have inferior colour representation and viewing angles due to the dominance of the ‘TN’ 6 bit panels in these models as opposed to 8 bit varieties.

More recently 24” widescreen LCD monitors have reduced in price to a point where they are priced under $400 at certain stores and at the time of writing as low as $370 for the review model. One particular model, the AOC 416V dominates the bottom end of the market and at the time of writing it is the cheapest 24” widescreen LCD monitor. This means for $370 one can purchase a full HD (1080P) 24” widescreen monitor with a resolution of 1920x1200, 5ms response time, 3000:1 contrast ratio and 300cd/m2 luminosity. There is one catch however; this monitor uses the dreaded ‘TN’ 6 bit panel meaning it suffers the same downfalls as the 22” monitors – smaller viewing angles and poorer colour representation. This fact means it is derided by the devout quality connoisseurs and shied away from by general consumers.

There is no doubting that these quality connoisseurs make a strong argument. Many individuals such as graphic designers or hard-core 3D gamers desire very good colour representation and viewing angles. Such consumers however will probably find more satisfaction in a higher quality (and more expensive) product. However I feel that there is still a large proportion of the market who may very well be suited to a product such as the AOC 416V and feel that the downfalls are outweighed by the rock bottom price and large size.

Specs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Features

The content of the box includes the screen, detachable stand, DVI and VGA cables, power cable and relevant documentation and drivers on disc. Unlike some of the Dell offerings the AOC does not sport a USB hub or card reader, the only ports on the unit are DVI, VGA and power. This is unfortunate especially since my previous Philips 190B had a single USB port on the side which made plugging in USB drives very easy and convenient.
    I tested the monitor for using a wattmeter to find its power consumption. The device drew a fairly consistent 70 W, my previous 19” LCD consumed around 27 W. Another small positive is the unobtrusive power LED which does not distract the user unlike many other power LEDs on various appliances.

Picture Quality

These pictures were taken using a 2.2 megapixel point and shoot camera by a person with limited photography experience hence they should be taken with a grain of salt. I can comment in my subjective opinion that the picture quality of the AOC 416V is very good, especially for the price. HD content from the HD loop on various channels is very impressive when being viewed with your own eyes. However this conclusion is made from comparisons with my previous Philips 190B monitor and other monitors I have used and observed.

[​IMG]

http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1277.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1279.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1284.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1291.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1293.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1294.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1300.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1301.JPG
    http://www.overclockers.com.au/~wayne/monitor/DCP_1302.JPG

Conclusion

In conclusion I can say that the AOC 416V delivers very good performance for the price. For consumers wanting a general purpose monitor with a high resolution, relatively good image quality and no other additional features resulting in an inflated price this monitor may be very suitable.

Pros
    Very large with a high resolution (1920*1200)
    Extremely competitive price
    Quality is by no means bad and many users (including myself) will be very happy with the quality which is delivered
    Good specifications - contrast, brightness, response time etc.

Cons
    No card reader or USB port.
    Image quality and viewing angles may not be suitable for certain individuals.
    Power usage.
    Limited height adjustability.
    Dead pixel policy (although the unit which I purchased had no dead or stuck pixels)
    No 1:1 pixel mapping (see discussion in thread).

More information and discussion can be found in the 24" monitor discussion thread with specs of various other monitors in the same class.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  2. Whisper

Whisper Member

The power consumption is a bit of a worry

Almost 3 times that of the 19" for less than twice the screen real-estate.

3. RoSWeLL

RoSWeLL Member

Backlight bleeding? you haven't mentioned it.

4. OP
    OP
    Rational

Rational Member

Quite right, looks like larger LCD monitors are not for people working towards lower energy bills. I am curious to see other power readings from small to large monitors, I suspect they may be somewhat exponential. Maybe this particular monitor is overly inefficient. May be something to look into.

It is not terrible although there is some bleeding. The backlight is brighter than my old Philips and bleeding is a tad worse than it.

There is no haloing as I have seen in other monitors.

5. robnkel

robnkel Member

Thanks for the review

6. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

shots to take which should be good even with a cheap camera.

black screen (ie backlight on but no image) in unlit room.

bright purple screen (get ms paint or something) from high and low angles

pure white screen from side on angles :)

7. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

regarding power consumption, while I don't have a watt meter at home, BenQ website states Power Consumption 55W (max) for the G2400W, so maybe the AOC is terribly inefficient (or BenQ is lying).

still, nice review.

does it have 1:1 pixel mapping? any other features you have found that seem to stand out for such a low priced monitor?

8. Aetherone

Aetherone Member

It's about the same as I've measured on various 24" Dells - and like them is probably directly linked to the brightness of the backlight more than anything else.

9. Mau1wurf1977

Mau1wurf1977 (Banned or Deleted)

No 1:1 on this one. but the Benq has it.

10. Tony

Tony New Member

i'm pretty sure the dell 2405/2407 does 80w

what's the big deal

plasmas can use 500w

i ran a 1,500w power amp 24/7 for years on end

11. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Nice review, whilst the addage that you get what you pay for still holds true, i think there is a large market segment that this product will service well. Considering one can now have 2x24" for less than $800!!

I recently picked up an AOC 22" for < $300 (certainly considered the 24" option but will be at least 12-18 months before i've got the horsepower to do 1900x1200 justice) and whilst its certainly no-frills, a simpleton like me has no dramas regarding the picture quality. Im certainly not losing sleep over the lack of a USB hub built in.

I reckon these'll sell like proverbial hot cakes.

Thanks for sharing and enjoy the screen.

12. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

24" for under 370 bucks ... what a bargain ...

The only downside the the pixel policy and having used alot of AOC, one should be careful if you're using this. I'd recommend having your buyer trying to get a gurantee from the distributor ie compucon to give u zero pixel. They might do it.

13. Sebstar

Sebstar Member

yeh i know, i was one of the ones to confirm it :weirdo:

14. OP
    OP
    Rational

Rational Member

No problem, thanks for the comment :).

The maximum rated power consumption is 90W although I have yet to see it fluctuate beyond the 70-72W range. Remember, this monitor does not have a card reader or speakers.

Sure, I will do this later tonight once the sun has gone down.

No problem :).

15. BuuBox

BuuBox Member

Thanks for the review, I'm thinking about upgrading from my 22" Chimei to one of these.

In regards to power consumption, the increase in power consumption VS screen size is not linear. Look at how much a 40" LCD uses.

16. Fresh79

Fresh79 Member

Whats it like in games?

17. SgtCaboose

SgtCaboose Member

Im looking at picking one of these up.

Power consumption is trivial imo :p Yes, thats a big fuck you to global warming.

Would this panels quality be = to an entry level dell 19" in the way of viewable stuff.

I personally cant tell the difference between monitors unless they are side by side and gaming is pretty much the only thing thats important.

18. OP
    OP
    Rational

Rational Member

Let me put the increase in power consumption into perspective. Just say I replace my 19" Philips with the 24" AOC, a jump from 30W to 70W and assume liberal usage. Lets say my usage is 10 hours per day, 5 hours during peak energy and 5 hours during off peak energy demand. Over the course of a year I would pay:

For 19" Philips: 0.03 KW * 10 hours * 365 days * $0.085 c/KWh = $9.30
    For 24" AOC: $9.30 * 7 / 3 = $21.70/year. An increase of $12.40 per year.

19. Whisper

Whisper Member

You are only paying 8.5 Cents per KWh?

I thought I had it good on 11.7 Cents per KWh!

Who is your energy provider? I'm switching!

20. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Thanks for the mini-review :D Cheers!!