AORUS GTX1080ti Xtreme Edition

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by Roscosity, Apr 5, 2017.

1. power

power Member

would these even be something buyers would be interested in?

2. AfterBurner1

AfterBurner1 Member

For yourself clearly Not. but for those who use the Cards Power for Compute and other applications beyond just gaming such as BOINC and F@Home.

the Overkill on the Cooling really pays off in spades. In the Past it's the overkill extra bits of Cooling that keep the card operational at the end of the Day.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
  3. Shags

Shags Member

I've purchased this card and cannot get it to detect on my motherboard.

Full troubleshooting details here,
    http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1223442

If you're thinking about buying one of these and have an Asus Maximus Extreme VIII Motherboard (Pretty damn unlikely) i'd strongly recommend making sure you can test it on your setup first - i've just had to sell my card 2 days after purchasing and lost $150 because of this mistake.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017
  4. OP
    OP
    Roscosity

Roscosity Member

Hi Shags,

That sounds like a pretty big issue... you're 100% sure it's because of the Motherboard model/chipset?

5. Shags

Shags Member

I wasn't positive before but now I'm fairly certain after seeing that there are several other cases online with the same issue using the same motherboard, all saying theyve had success using a different video card - unsure if the issue is on the motherboard or the GPU side...

6. OP
    OP
    Roscosity

Roscosity Member

Thanks for getting back to me on this... I'll let our engineers know so we can test it in house.... would be very strange if it was on our side, but I'll see if there's a fix in the works!

7. Shags

Shags Member

8. Shags

Shags Member

How did this go?

9. OP
    OP
    Roscosity

Roscosity Member

Hey Shags,

Just got back from a short holiday, but still no update from our engineers... but they've seen similar issues, so no fix just yet :/

10. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Who's at fault, pitchforks await :tired:

11. jakep8152

jakep8152 New Member

Looks Amazing!

12. rhodes_96

rhodes_96 Member

This is normal for these cards due to Nvidia gpu boost 3.0

My one factory clocked to 2037mhz. That's almost 300mhz above the official max oc settings.0
    While benching I can see there is a power draw issue as the program uses more than 100% power draw on stock settings.
    When this happens it will drop your clock speeds severely as system recovers so as you don't crash.

There is an easy fix.

Don't use Aorus software it's buggy as hell for overclocking, and clashes alot with other monitoring tools.

I reccomend Msi afterburner or EVGA XOC to monitor and adjust gpu settings.

I use EVGA X OC prefer the layout.

Adjust your power percentage to max.
    F3 bios will be 125%
    F4 bios will be 150%
    They both have the same max of 375w, just represented differently in each bios.

What this does is allow your system to use max about of watts available to the gpu which 375w instead of 250w. This will stabilise your system and stop the clock speeds suddenly dropping. The only drops that should occur now should be from nvidia 3.0 based temp reduction which are slow and gradual. Please note that pascal based cpu,s also have an in built temp based performace reduction feature as temps increase. For every 5 degrees temp increase there is approx 13mhz reduction in clock speed performance with stock voltages. With pascal based cards keeping temps as low as possible is very important if overclocking.
    You should not need to adjust voltage if your not manually increasing clock speeds. If you had to do that for stability on factory clocks, that's unacceptable and a call for an RMA.

Now Run your Bench programs or games of choice with hardware monitor on and observe the power draw of progrqms. Once you have established the max power of your system, lower the power percentage and keep a few % above your maximum power draw from your previous program testing.

I have mine running over clocked to 2100mhz@1.081v with a gradual reduction due to Temps in in at 2075mhz@1.064v and that's where it stays. I have tested and adjusted both the power percentage, voltage percentage, and custom fan curve in my overclock to achieve this.

13. Gmk2

Gmk2 Member

I bought this card and put itunder water with the EK block. I immediately observed that it is boosting way beyond advertised ranges - 2000Mhz is being passed out of the box and thats without changing power limits at all.

My card shipped with Bios edition 4, now replaced by "3P" which I have applied. This keeps the 375W max total with a lower idle vs "3" which is apparently equivalentish to the redacted revision 4..

There are many reports of 1080ti cards in general not always being stable with increased power and this is what I am seeing. Heaven crashes if I increase power to 150%. Same all the way down to 120%. I do see boosting increasing before the crash well above 2000Mhz. Its not a temp issue - the card never gets over 40 celsius. It looks like the stock card is set with a very high clock and that even just allocating more power will raise the clock further thanks to gpu boost.

The card benches flawless at stock settings but yet to find any stable increases at all that provide any benefit.

14. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

I'll do some testing on mine which is just using the stock cooler (that's why I grabbed it though) and let you know how I fare.

I'm getting 1,936MHz boost out of the box (higher than I was expecting) and a max of 75c under full load which is nice, considering it's still very quiet.

EDIT - I just realised that this is for the Extreme edition and I've just got the normal AURUS. I'll still look into the power limit vs. boost clock situation.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  15. OP
    OP
    Roscosity

Roscosity Member

We've seen some mixed results from users and reviewers when it comes to overclocking or changing voltage.

Bryan from Tech Yes City took it up to 150% of the power target, so it might just be an unlucky unit for yourself?

16. Will S

Will S Member

What would be the best CPU to get the absolute best out of this card ?

9837 is the 3D Mark score with just remove the old card and throw a new one in :)

edit: its not the extreme edition but I guess the question still remains the same ...what is the best CPU to go with this card ?

Last edited: Aug 27, 2017
  17. nope

nope Member

Ryzen 1800x

18. OP
    OP
    Roscosity

Roscosity Member

You could also look at an i7 7700k from intel, just to make sure there isn't any bottlenecking :)

19. Will S

Will S Member

well going to wait a little bit and see how things go

had a look at Amazon and I can save over $200 plus shipping buying an Aorus X299 Gaming 7 mobo and 7820x CPU

but going to wait a bit longer.........