Apex Legends F2P battle-royale (Titanfall spin-off)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by walker_2003, Feb 3, 2019.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

OvkQQmi.png

Game is now out on Origin ~ 14gb IIRC,

Details I've learnt so far:

- Huge map with balloons you can repel up and glide off to relocate.
    - can collect dead team mates banners from their loot box and take to spawn beacon and get them back in
    - is funny finishing moves for downed enemies (good to save ammo)
    - 100 HP, level 1 armor =150hp, level 2=175hp and level 3 = 200hp (they are coloured and feedback when shooting someone will show what it is)
    - near end game doesn't show player count/kill feed so it can't be worked out if it's 1 v 3 etc
    - 60 players
    - paid items are just cosmetic, everything can be earned in game free (just slower)
    - all item drop percentages are published
    - no duplicate loot
    - anti bad luck mechanisms so you will get rare loot within reason
    - supply ships come and bring gear (got to repel up to them or can even land on top)
    - no wall running
    - slide+shoot at same time
    - Loot levels: grey, blue, purple & gold
    - Enemy crates are colored by level of loot so u can prioritise.
    - Can ping items for an audio callout e.g. gun or location etc (good for when no voice comms)
    - No fall damage
    - Can link to steam and invite friends off steam to play
    - Character abilities can be used together e.g. one calls in smoke barrage and other can use infrared to see through it.
    - Banners scattered throughout match which shows which team is doing best and what customisation they have etc.
    - Can recharge shield with pickups

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  2. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

[​IMG]

Secret Titanfall 2 style F2P BR from Respawn? Interesting.
    They have always spent the polish and time for a good game launch, sounds like it's ready to go and no early access trash either.

Launches 4th in the USA, which is tomorrow our time.
    https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/2/18...oyale-game-rumor-apex-legends-ps4-pc-xbox-one

They had a bunch of popular BR streamers at a pre-launch function recently who are all going to be streaming it tomorrow.

Shroud, DrDisrespect, Courage, bunch of TSM crew and more under the tag #ApexPartner
    Lots of favourable comments and pics of the event here https://twitter.com/hashtag/ApexPartner?src=hash

The sudden announcement/blast/viral social media and next-day launch approach is refreshing instead of a long drawn-out hype train that usually falls short.
    Could this be the new #1 optimised, non-early access F2P BR that isn't cartoons, rainbows and sprinkles?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    walker_2003 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I hold high hopes for it. Titanfall 2 is great just launched at bad time. The pilot shooting is solid as and the wall running etc in a BR mode sounds fun.

I been refreshing youtube hoping is a trailer or something. Was rumoured to be a super bowl add..

4. power

power Member

A Titanfall game sans Titans.

um, sure.

5. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Today, in Titanfall 2 - the most popular multiplayer game mode seems to be the titan-free one and Respawn would know this.
    The fast gunplay, wallrunning, grappling, verticality etc without being stomped on by a mech, seems to be the most appeal.

Still it would be good to have some way to use vehicles to get around the map, unless they are going for something different - such as an ever shrinking internal base or city/urban type map.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    walker_2003 and power like this.
  6. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

While I'm pretty interested in this... the one thing that keeps me reserved is that all of these things kind of run at odds with the BR gametype. Battle Royales by nature are kind of defensive, so it'll be really interesting to see how it pans out.

7. power

power Member

Is the COD one like that though?

8. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

It certainly was initially (I haven't played since the armor changes which I've heard have helped). As crazy as the grappling hook and all the other gadgets were, you were still incentivised to avoid conflict as much as possible once you had armor and a decent loadout.

9. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Maybe they are switching things up and ditching the large open map that takes 30 mins to play a round?
    Can you imagine a super aggressive BR with 100 players on a smallish urban map or base with lots of verticality? Fairly quick rounds that are more based on skill and tactics instead of gear RNG?
    I know a few streamers that have been asking for this.

Will have to wait and see.

walker_2003 likes this.
  10. power

power Member

yeah so much BR relies on the last phase - just skip straight to it.

11. purehybrid

purehybrid Member

Agreed... this was the biggest improvement CoD made over Pubg... it decreased that insane midgame lull a lot.

12. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

13. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

reveal stream is soon

14. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i'm interested in teaming up when i get back into australia...provided the game isn't dead by march :D

15. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Given its free I think itl have a decent shelf life. Looks pretty polished too and something different (as different as you can be in BR)

Also buy a pc once back in Aus. No silly laptops hehe

16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Looks like you have a bit less mobility than pilot mode in Titanfall 2, look alright though. Respawn know satisfying gun play so I'm sure it'll feel great.

walker_2003 likes this.
  17. Smegenstein

Smegenstein Member

Plenty of laptops out there with more than enough power to run this btw. Metabox exists.

Game itself does look fun, I never played the titanfall series so am not aware of the movement I am missing out on. Currently downloading for a session after work this evening.

18. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah metabox Rock but he exclusively always games on laptops and whines about perf haha.

The gunplay and movement of titanfall 2 is top notch. In fact I highly recommend getting origin access even for a month just to play titanfall 2 campaign it's really something!

19. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

20. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

It's 3 x man squad First Person BR meets the character roles of Overwatch with the customisation and seasonal content of Fortnite, in the universe of Titanfall. :leet:

Characters/Features/Gameplay breakdown video: