API for CNC cutting time

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Furious, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Furious

Furious Member

Hey guys,

I'm trying to help our website guy by finding an API that works out cutting time on a CNC machine.

I am not proficient in programming so forgive if my language is a bit off.

Essentially we have a CNC cutter. We want people to upload their drawings to our website, specify their material, and the API works out how long it will take to cut.

Eg.
    They specify 12mm thick MDF wood and upload their drawing in PDF, EPS, DXF etc.
    API looks at their drawing and determines there is a total of 2000mm of cutting
    We've given the API all the data that 12mm MDF cuts at 10mm per second
    Thus API spits out a total cut time of 200 seconds

Has anyone heard of one that does this?

Thanks in advance!

2. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

It'll have to be G-code that is used to work it out. A CAD drawing doesn't know how a CNC should cut it, and I don't think that it can be automated, as there are infinite ways that you can go about machining an object.

3. ashenIC

ashenIC Member

It would have to be G-code as mentioned above, some CAD programs may have the option to generate optimal code (I had to hand code when I worked as an machine operator), and from that an approximation of the total cutting time could be worked out. To answer your question I have not heard of such an API.

4. Renza

Renza Member