Apple Business Manager (ABM)

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Zee, Apr 8, 2019.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Do any of you have any experience with ABM?

Our company currently has about 40 staff, and we're slowly transitioning to Apple (yes, it makes sense in our case, for a multitude of reasons).

Up to now, I've basically been managing the laptops by using the same Apple ID, and giving regular permissions only to the staff member with their own login. Clearly, this kinda becomes a mess after the 5th laptop, and as people start leaving and laptops get shifted around.

Basically, anyone that uses ABM, what sort of pricing am I looking at? (Apple seems a bit vague on this until you've actually signed up - unless I did not dig deep enough) - basically, I'm after control of the laptop, and easy locking/remote erasing should a staff member go AWOL (as has happened twice in the last two months), the ability to remotely allow app installs would be a bonus, but mainly we just want an easy way to track and control our Macs (and potentially iDevices).

I'm also open to alternatives - if any.

Z...

2. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

ABM isn't a device management tool and it can't do basically any of the things you're looking for.
    ABM is a free Apple service that is designed to pair with an MDM tool (like Jamf Pro) that will deliver device management and the functions you describe.

I can help put you in contact with the right people in Apple HQ to go over it properly - PM me if you're interested.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    Zee likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

Will do shortly - thanks!

Z...

4. kraniX

kraniX Member

Jamf Pro, Munki, SimpleMDM and Fleetsmith are some of the big names in Apple MDM - they have price tags varying between free (Munki) to about $10/device/month (Jamf)

Unless you plan to grow massively you might also consider Jamf Now rather than Jamf Pro. You can use it for free on up to 3 devices, so you could easily give it a trial-run to see how you find it. It's extremely easy to set up and based on what you've mentioned could be sufficient, but you may find its capabilities limited down the track. Jamf Now is more intended for use by non-technical staff in smaller businesses and parents managing their family's devices.

You can retrospectively install these MDM solutions on machines which aren't DEP/ABM enrolled, but you should still work to get any future purchases properly enrolled in ABM - it will save you many headaches down the track now Apple are pushing towards UAMDM for managing various parts of the OS (e.g. kexts). Depending on where you purchased your existing machines you may be able to retrospectively enrol them in ABM too... but I'm told this is easier said than done.

If you have any further questions I'd highly recommend joining the MacAdmins Slack (macadmins.slack.com) where you'll find over 25k Apple admins discussing this sort of thing :)

Zee likes this.
  5. Evo6

Evo6 Member

Look at Airwatch by VMWARE. We got ours via Telstra, pay per device. It does phones, tablets and Mac/Windows desktops and offers remote wipe, location information and what’s installed on machines. Great software for device management and leagues ahead of Intune

You can create device profiles for each device type if you really want to control or place similar restrictions in all devices I.e lock pins, deploy certificates, remote wipe devices etc

Zee likes this.
  6. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Airwatch is garbage on MacOS

kraniX and s4mmy like this.
  7. miicah

miicah Member

I use Apple School Manager which is the school version of ABM (obviously). We also use ZuluDesk which I haven't seen mentioned yet and would rate it over Jamf. Same price, better UI and more logical ways of organising apps/devices.

8. kraniX

kraniX Member

Jamf bought Zuludesk a few months ago. The product might be better at the moment, but it remains to be seen how long it'll stick around / what Jamf intends to do with it.