1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple Family Sharing

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by Maelstrom, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Hi All,

For the past few years I've shared an iOS account with the wife, but I think it's probably time to set up separate accounts and I'd like to get an update on how well Family Sharing works.

Historically we've have iCloud/iMessage etc set not to sync across devices, and as a benefit of the shared account we can both share purchased apps. It works quite well, the only annoying thing is that our call logs sync (which we don't seem to be able to cancel), but each iOS version is even more sync-heavy and it's probably time to move on.

So with that in mind:
    • Does Family Sharing work for all paid apps?
    • Are there any really popular ones that it doesn't work for?
    • Do any subscription/content sources cause problems when a single third party account is used on multiple iOS accounts (Audible/Spotify/Netflix/etc)?
    • Are we going to have problems if we just create a new account, add it to the family, then change which account one of the phones is signed in to?
    • Any other negatives?

2. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

So far as I'm aware, it works with all stuff bought for in iTunes. Apps, music, etc.
    Not sure about the subscription services though.

A big negative I found was that you can only list one payment method with family sharing. So my wife set it up for us, but everything I bought was charged on to her credit card. I didn't mind, but someone else did. :lol:

That's honestly the one reason why we turned it off again. Unless I got into the habit of buying iTunes cards and maintaining a credit it would charge to her card each time, with no way of making a second payment method for another adult in the family.

3. OP
    OP
    Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

Belated thanks - just got around to trying it and thought I'd post a followup in case anyone else has the same conundrum.

Overall quite a pain in the arse which took a couple of hours, but at least the apps on her phone weren't deleted and she doesn't appear to have lost anything other than paid access to TuneIn Radio (which she didn't really use), and seems to be due to a bug.

Will post an update if I discover anything else of note.

• Renamed the existing account to my name & email (from joint)
    • Created a new account for the wife
    • Signed her device out of joint account and in to her account
    • Repeated the sign in/out for Facetime, iMessage & AppStore which don't follow the generic account for some reason
    • Had to sign out of joint & in to my new account a similar number of times on my devices
    • Stuffed around with iCloud settings to ensure the wrong things don't sync and nothing was deleted
    • Created the family and shared things
    • She had to log in to the family past secret questions
    • She tried to update ~30 apps and the first ~15 of them took 30-60 minutes. The other ~15 failed to update at all.
    • In the end we had to delete the remaining apps and re-install them.
    • One of the apps (TuneIn Radio Pro) asks to be paid for, even though it is paid for and shared via the family, and says it supports family sharing.

4. Zippy7

Zippy7 Member

Wow. Sounds like a royal PITA.

Thanks for posting your experience. I've got 2 kids using my handed down iphones - I keep restrictions on, so they can't buy anything I don't want or need.
    Sounds like it can stay this way until they have their own jobs and can pay for their own phones :)

5. OP
    OP
    Maelstrom

Maelstrom Member

No worries. Be aware that there are downsides to sharing a single account - your phone call history is shared across devices and there's no way to turn it off. Might be worth keeping an eye on, depending on whether your kids might accidentally dial one of your work colleagues or customers. It's also easy to end up having iMessages shared, not to mention anything else you sync over iCloud - most of which probably isn't an issue but can get annoying. Each time we did an iOS update we'd end up having to go through a few different settings to make sure we didn't get each others iMessages or facetime calls for example.