Apple inc slowing down older iphones to nefariously encourage upgrading

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by ipv6ready, Dec 22, 2017.

1. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

It’s been confirmed that Apple is slowing down older gen phones like iPhone 6 to conserve battery life “for us”. I call that COW DUNG! Who the F do they think they are!

This isn’t a rumour it is confirmed by Apple.

WTF is my thought, if the battery is old, tell me and I will get a new battery replacement or decide to buy another $1000 iPhone.

Slow down my phone 60% without telling me! that is deceptive and influencing me to fork out $1000 for a new phone.

If you have a older iphone6, iphoneSE, 5s, 5, and older phones 4s or 4 I would demand free upgraded battery to restore full cpu or new non battery intrusive iOS.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=...j0j4&hl=en-GB&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

IPhone 6 with original battery is down clocked to 600mhz where as released spec sheet is 1400mhz.

So rather telling the owner your battery is old get a replacement, they just cripple your phone to 40% cpu speed secretly, act helpful and team US to upgrade.

If you do get a new genuine battery it is clocked back at 1400mhz but the simple fact they kept that hidden mean tens of millions would NOT have upgraded

Class action time. Becuase I have always bought new iPhones when it got slow, so Apple have been stealing from me.

So if they didn’t get caught I wouldn’t know my iphone7 with IOS 11.2 is now factory throttled Bastards!

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
  2. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Apples own words

Our goal is to deliver the best experience for customers, which includes overall performance and prolonging the life of their devices. Lithium-ion batteries become less capable of supplying peak current demands when in cold conditions, have a low battery charge or as they age over time, which can result in the device unexpectedly shutting down to protect its electronic components.

Last year we released a feature for iPhone 6, iPhone 6s and iPhone SE to smooth out the instantaneous peaks only when needed to prevent the device from unexpectedly shutting down during these conditions. We’ve now extended that feature to iPhone 7 with iOS 11.2, and plan to add support for other products in the future.

3. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Strange that the consumer friendly company is only helping the iPhones users and not crippling iPad users lol.

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Holy shit lol. You crazy, man.

Apple is doing the right thing by trying to protect people's equipment but as usual their communication of these things is stupid and will do them more harm than good. A simple popup box or few lines on text in settings is all they need.

ipv6ready likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Nah, Apple is stealing, they have admitted that if you get a new battery it goes back to full speed.

Did I have a iPhone 6, yes it slowed down, did I upgrade, yes becuase it slowed down, had I known getting a new battery make it run like new, i would not have.

6. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

I think this is shambles.

I believe their statement is true; Apple does care about the best user experience etc and it was designed to be so. The software engineers given a pat on the back.
    However, much like politicians, they spun it so that’s all it could be and left the rest out. I have no doubt they thought they could benefit immensely from upgrades by implementing this too. The middle managers given a pat on the back too.

So basically their statement could be 100% true, just that truth is half the picture ;)
    I’ll replace the battery in all my families phones now at those cheap mall stores about the two year mark. At that stage, arguably Australian Consumer Warranty has expired (unless you really want to push it and argue it’s still not a reasonable time), and just give it a second life again.

Phones are at the stage where it does everything you need them to do, and has so for a few years.

ipv6ready likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

If it was a fix, they would have done it when battery starts to droop and told you. Ie the throttle kicks in when at 50% battery level. Not at full charge. And told me that replacing the battery will give it full speed. Not say nothing.

Furthermore iphone7 with IOS 11.2 is now factory throttled

Some are Less than 1 Year’s old,

we have over 400 iPhones, that we upgraded over the years.

8. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

http://bit.ly/2BaJk0j This is a link will open App Store for those that can’t be bothered reading the article.

The app is the one shown in 9to5mac article with link below to the full article.

It will tell you if you have a degraded battery, for anyone with iPhone 7 or older with iOs 11.2

Especially if you have iPhone 6s or 7 and it shows degraded battery get Apple care ACL Free battery and restore full performance. Even if you are giving away to younger family member.

Full link

https://9to5mac.com/2017/12/20/how-to-replace-iphone-battery-speed-up-performance/

clonex likes this.
  9. Lou

Lou Member

My iPAD 3 is slow. Been factory reset a few times, still slow :(

10. Copie

Copie Member

ipad 3 is also now 5 generations old

11. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

"Protecting equipment", what a crock - the only possible valid excuse would be to make older (non user replaceable) batteries last longer by artificially slowing down the processors.
    But everyone knows the real reason is to encourage people to upgrade, considering that there are many services out there that can replace the batteries including Apple themselves.

I'm surprised they bothered to even volunteer/confirm this information to the public anyway - they can do what they want if people volunteer to upgrade their phones' OS.

12. broccoli

broccoli Member

It will be interesting to see whether Apple employees were advising customers they needed a new battery if they complained about a slow phone. If they were recommending a new phone, then the company could have problems arising from that.

13. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

i hope there are class actions left right and centre ... i have always noticed apple devices becoming slow after a while ... i though it was just bloat from their updated iOS versions ... but now we find out that they do it on purpose... they then try to tell us they do it for the user as a free feature .. LOL

14. v81

v81 Member

This is complete bullshit, and anyone that accepts this explanation from apple needs their head read.
    Lithium batteries can deliver a decent wallop and if they designed the power delivery and regulation subsystems to meet the demands of the CPU regardless of old or new battery nothing should change.
    Never had an issue running 4 year old android phones whilst overclocked.
    Fuck apple and their bullshit.
    No vested interest here, i stay well away from their bullshit, but am disappointed on behalf of friends and family in apples clutches.

::edit::
    If you drop in a new battery does the performance come back?
    Or are they just assuming that all phones of a certain gen need to be downclocked and enforcing that in updates?

ipv6ready likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

What they have done is Apple intentionally STOLEN from everyone who ever had a iphone6, to 7.

Which is what I did, becuase it was slow, had I known I would have got a battery replacement!

Bearing in mind there is nothing revoluti9nary about Iphone 7 that can’t be done on 6 or 6s

Also, I’ve given my iphone6 which is throttled 60% my 11year old niece to play games on and use wifi when out with her parents ie restaurants. She rarely use it more than two/three hours at time, bet she prefers it running 100%

16. OP
    OP
    ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Mate just wait, or just walk in to store with the phones and demand for battery replacements.
    Apple will be regulated to do so, with apologise.

This will cost them billions and if it comes out it was a management decision, you will see anti trust suits, and class action law suit all over the world etc.

We are talking hundreds of millions of phones.

17. wolfie81

wolfie81 Member

I hope so. I can't stand big corporations trying to walk over their customers.

18. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

They need to do more than that. Imagine if you bought a TV, it kept turning off so you returned it. You got back a TV with worse picture quality and a note saying it looks worse in order to stop it shutting down all the time. Hell, or even a toaster that doesn't cook anymore to stop it overheating. These are design flaws and you're not getting what you paid for anymore.

They weren't protecting equipment either. When voltage issues arise the device simply shuts down - that's the protection. What Apple did was find a way around that by degrading the device. The correct approach is to fix the flaw with the device (and this IS a flaw) and if they can't a consumer is allowed to recover the loss in value. Because really, is anyone going to buy a used 6S anymore knowing it's as slow as shit and needs a battery replacement every year?

19. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

Sensationalise much?
    Before the update my older iPhone 6 did shut itself down very often when I was using it heavily, after the update yes it slowed down a bit but the shutdowns stopped - I can guarantee you that 99.99% of users would be happy with this functionality.
    Stop trying to rally the pitchforks for something as simple as a stability fix for old batteries.

If you REALLY insist on going for blood, then aim that antagonistic attitude towards battery manufacturers with the goal of improving their lifespans.

20. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Yep - for sure. That would be bad. Especially when in your analogy it's a simple new power cord that is the required fix. The toaster is a laugh though...

I think Apple is completely deserving of criticism on this topic for treating its customers like idiot children who can't make an informed decision from perhaps a pop-up box or notification in settings etc. Slowing the phone to prevent shutting down is a valid option IF you tell people it's happening. If you do it and say "no problems with your phone" then it's dumb.

I think the slow down until battery replacement is a good way of doing it but only if they tell you about it.

The way this has been picked up and sensationalised by the media is extraordinary (though maybe not for Apple). Surprising Samsung who're usually very quick to put the boot to Apple haven't come out with a witty marketing stab yet...