1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple iPhone 11

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Zee

Zee Member

And losing updates this year, from memory... I do have one, but stupidly loaned it to a staff member, and when it came back, it was miraculously locked to a local Filipino provider (NFI how) when it was purchased as an unlocked phone. Said provider has no record of the phone on their files, so can't/won't unlock. Going to take it to Apple when I get back to Aus, but not holding out much hope...

Otheriwse, yes, I do like them, but buying a good one may be tricky. Unless I see one really well priced/unlocked brand new 128GB model ($200-$250 I guess).

Z...

2. Hater

Hater Member

I have an X now but am thinking of going back to the SE, the X just doesn't have anything that great, FaceID fucking sucks and no headphone jack sucks too. TouchID on the SE is only first gen but it's still a lot quicker than removing my sunglasses or taking my helmet off

Zee and thecondor like this.
  3. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

any iphone 11 (XS/XR) users can try something for me? if you connect to a device via bluetooth (say a speaker), does it show the battery % of the device from the screen when you swipe left from your home screen?

i know it shows for things like airpods, other bluetooth headphones.. but curious in particular about speakers

4. Hater

Hater Member

depends on the device. UE Boom - yep. JBL charge - yep. winglongtinnysound4000$5fromebay - nope

5. eyeLikeCarrots

eyeLikeCarrots Member

Well, I finally took off my tight arse hat and upgraded form an iPhone6 to an iPhone 11 Pro.

Its ok, I miss the physical button.

6. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

I did too initially, but not for anywhere near as long as I expected. When I switched to android for a while I hated the soft/onscreen buttons, but the swipey-gesture style on the new iPhones is great imo.

7. Zee

Zee Member

There seems to be enough wind spinning the rumour mill about the iPhone 9, that it may actually be a real thing.

I'll be ordering it on day one if it's as the rumours claim (iP8 form factor, physical button, current processor, and single version of current camera), and allegedly about $400US for the base model (whatever that is). I would have preferred the iP SE form factor, but right now, I'll take it. Even in Android land, there is nothing that size that is decent.

I think the gestures are cool, I just think they missed the most obvious fucking thing int he world in their haste to get Face ID going after they couldn't get the fingerprint scanner to work through the screen.

Use the freaking Apple logo as your reader - it's in a great spot, and it would be perfect!

Z...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
  8. SKITZ0_000

SKITZ0_000 Member

For sure, and cases do love leaving a window there for it as well.

9. joeygbh

joeygbh Member

I was all hot for this until I saw the size. I’ll wait till my 7 dies then.

10. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

I'm still rocking the SE, Perfect phone. Wondering if this new Iphone 9 (SE2) will be a thing or put a new battery in the SE. Battery life's the only issue with it.

11. Zee

Zee Member

Mine is mysteriously network locked to a foreign provider after loaning it to one of my staff... Never doing that again...

Every time I pick it up, I am reminded how awesome that form factor was. Such a perfect phone - emphasis on "phone".

Z...

12. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

That wold drive me nuts, how does that even happen?
    I even have a spare screen in case I break it. Had a feeling it would be a long while until something came out that wasn't $1200. Can't imagine having that in your pocket everyday.

13. Holdenkicks

Holdenkicks Member

I had an iphone 5s and then an iphone se (both same body and size) as I thought I preferred the smaller size. It was easy to hold. But then I went to iphone 8 and I was fine. FYI I'm 180cm and average-sized hands. I find the iphone 11 pro (which I now have) to be a little too big for my hands, but I love the cameras and battery life too much to go back to anything else.

14. Zee

Zee Member

I still prefer the 5/SE size. I've got a 6S, and use my GF's XR every so often, I just hate large phones. Probably because I use phones as... Phones, not as media consumption devices. I have an iPad Pro and a laptop to do that stuff. Even if I just have to quickly look something up, I'd rather reach for a tablet or laptop and use the phone to tether, instead of using a phone.

I also have a proper camera, so no matter what my phone has, I'd rather use my real camera. The phone cam us more most for quick snaps of things to refer to later.

Z...

15. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

what phone holder are people using in their car for the 11's? I have one that sits in the CD tray, but it blocks the screen for the head unit

16. Azrael

Azrael Member

I am similar. I got an iP11 as part of a recontract back in October, but gave it to my wife after getting back from OS and went back to my 6S. Would be happy enough to stay with the 6S except it only has 16gb of storage and i keep having to offload stuff to get it to work.

The rumour mill looks pretty good for the iPhone SE2/9. iP8 form factor & camera, iP11 internals. Supposed announcement on the 31st of March, with release on the 3rd of April. If the specs are as rumoured then I will get one post-haste https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/iphone-se/

17. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, same. Will be glad I waited, and didn't cough up for an X/XR/11. I'd rather spend the money on a tool that has a properly large screen - 12.9" iPad Pro, seeing as I seem to be using my current 10.5" for work purposes quite a bit now.

Z...

18. JamesR

JamesR Member

I love my SE, but it probably could do with a new battery and maybe a new screen. I think I am out growing the size though ( and the 32gb capacity...), I have been thinking about upgrading to an 8. I’m just holding out for the new phones to come out so the prices hopefully drop.

19. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

By the time you do that you might as well just flog it off and upgrade to a new phone.

20. JamesR

JamesR Member

I’m pretty keen to upgrade, but as I was looking at replacing my wife’s ip7 battery that only has 52% max cap, it’s only $80 for Apple to replace the battery. Quite cheap if it makes the phone last another year or so.