Apple iPhone 12

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Jul 4, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Last I heard the delay was minor, in the order of 3 weeks late from normal release date.

2. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

I'll be honest, the original charger for my iPhone 11 Pro is still in it's box, unused, from the day I bought it, a year ago.

There'll only be a real problem once they change the port so that old adapters/cables aren't compatible with the new device - but by then we'll have already succumbed to the 'no charger out of box experience'

3. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I'm still not using the USB C charger (that came with my 100 Pro), probably using an iPhone 5 charger since it's the one hooked up to my dock and I've not bothered changing it since it has to charge the phone overnight anyway so fast charging doesn't matter to me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  4. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What do people generally do? When I sell my phone I sell it with the charger, always. Do most people do this also? Or do they expect the next buyer to already have chargers? So I expect my next phone to come with a charger.

5. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

Interestingly if you do the phone upgrade thing with Optus or Tesltra they both only take the phone, no accessories or box so you get to keep the charger and stuff.

On one I hand I suppose plenty of people already have a spare charger to two... on the other it's a great way to eek out another $30+ from you.

6. kogi

kogi Member

I use a desktop charger that charges 3-4 devices, so the stock charger stays in the box for the next owner

7. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

The kids iPads have done that forever too.. if I actually started trawling through the cupboards and boxes I would have chargers coming out my ears from all the different things I've gotten over the years. I don't think I have ever had a 240v type charger fail, but I have had plenty of 12V chargers die over the years.

From an environmental point of view, not including chargers with every piece of electronics you buy is probably a good thing, even if it means you need to buy another charger from time to time. These days I've got a few power points with a couple of integrated USB ports as well as power boards with two/four ports.

8. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I did the new phone feeling thing in the past, was ok. Kept the charger and cable as you did. Dunno where they disappear to but it would be long gone now.

9. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I haven't actually done the trade in thing, but I have considered it a few times. The kids are now at an age where the hand my down phones it where it's at so my resale value is no longer a thing :(

10. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It's actually not that bad, I didn't mind it back then, but got annoyed when devices + plans started hitting $100/month. Just ridiculous, so I started buying phones outright and going on small plans.

Maverick5 likes this.
  11. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

When I sell phones I generally include the box and accessories which are new and untouched.

I've got spare chargers for various reasons, sometimes the phone dies = spare charger
    Sometimes I upgrade the phone = spare charger
    I've got USB Chargers for travel = spare charger

While I'm at work or in the car - I've got USB chargers or laptops I plug the devices into

12. NSanity

NSanity Member

I think the AC adapter thing is *far* more about standardising the device packaging/documentation per region, than environmental. It probably saves them 30-40c per device.

If everything talks USB-C, then you just toss-in/sell the regional AC adapter at point of sale.

The biggest problem is the nightmare with regards to USBC power standards - 5W, 10W, 12W, 15W, 18W, 30W, 60W, 100W, 135W, 150W.

Now I have 93471971 adapters. God forbid you travel and look to consolidate - so I currently roll w/ the Belkin USB-C 18W+ USB-A 12W ac adapter + appropriate cables.

Maverick5 likes this.
  13. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

just read an article confirming iphone 12 launch (virtual due to covid) October 13th in the u.s. (14th australian time)

14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Wireless charging is the norm for me. Less cables, less plastic waste headed to landfill.

MR CHILLED likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yeah I like wireless charging but I was a bit confused by it recently. I had two genuine Samsung wireless chargers for my Samsung S9 and they were fast charging. so if I was on 5% at night I'd set them on the wireless charger over night and wake up easily to 100%. I thought I could use them with my Samsung S20 Ultra. I set the S20 on the wireless charger overnight, starting at about 30% and by the morning it was only 85%!?? That's only about 7 or 8 hours to charge 50%. What's up with that? I'm sure I had it seated on the charger correctly....

16. Maverick5

Maverick5 Member

Depends on the charger out put I've got a non genuine 15w wireless charger and it's good

17. Zee

Zee Member

Seeing lots of stuff about a mini version (smaller than an SE2).

Bastards, I've barely had my SE2 for a couple of months...

Z...

18. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I would have thought it would have been slower obviously because it's a bigger phone and bigger battery, but this was ridiculously long.

Maverick5 likes this.
  19. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Do I go over to the dark side - Apple or stick with Android?

20. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Stick with a Android, the more flexible platform :cool: