1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple iPhone '4S' Announced | Dual Core, iOS5, 8MP, 1080p Rec, 14.4Mbps HSPA+...

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Oct 5, 2011.

1. meremortal

meremortal Member

Yeh weird. I thought the story was that older people and Mum's and Dad's used iPhones and so the younger generations wanted anything "but" an iPhone...eg Samsung etc.

Mind you I guess the older people are at work and don't have time to line up and have credit cards so pre-order...:)

2. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Some 3 hours later I'm waiting for Virgin to port my number over to Telstra.

Gave up and came home and will go back later once it's fixed.

3. Kurosaki

Kurosaki Member

Got my 4S 32GB White.... I love Siri, can't believe how good it works out of the box.

4. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

Works alright with the aussie accent? :p

5. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Not quite. The iPhone 4S uses the PowerVR cores of the A5 to process the audio into usable data. Then, if the phone understands the request, it carries it out. But if it is something more complex than setting a reminder or reading a txt, then it will connect to the cloud.

6. Silent Remorse

Silent Remorse GAMING OVERLORD

I'm pretty annoyed they didn't bother to sign up to ANY business databases, maps or traffic for Australia for launch.

"Where can I get lunch? "Dunno"

"How can I get to the Gold Coast?" "Dunno"

"Any bottle shops near <contacts> house? "Dunno"

That's about 3/4 of her use to me gone, really.

7. yoink

yoink Member

Ah, cool. So I guess it could be done on any phone, but would be slower - Ive done a bit more reading, and there was actually a Siri app that ran on old handsets, but Apple pulled it off the app store, when they bought the company.

8. redhairkid

redhairkid Member

I've been lurking on the whirlpool threads the last week or so and its HILARIOUS how many people have cracked the shits about not receiving their iPhone today! Must have a pretty shit life if a few days extra wait is worth crying over. I've ordered as well but like most people, couldn't care less when it gets here.

9. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

Yeah same. It gets here when it gets here, it's not like I don't have a phone in the mean-time.

10. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

People seem to think that "Pre-order" equals "first dibs" rather than its true meaning of "stock guarantee".

11. James086

James086 Member

Be careful with your photo stream. Once a photo is up you can't delete it so there will likely be some personal photos floating around. ;)

12. yoink

yoink Member

I pre-ordered, but haven't gotten mine yet - my mate from work went to a Telstra store, some time after lunch, and they had plenty of stock :lol:
    Siri is kinda cool, but it's a shame there is no Aussie stores or businesses on it yet...

13. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Still not ported!

14. Omnomnom

Omnomnom Member

My 64GB Black 4S arrived this afternoon, through Vodafone. Very impressed, was expecting it to arrive next week.

15. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

ports to telstra are getting smashed today..a lot of WPers are still waitng too.

i might wait till this weekend to port if its this bad today, ports are usually fairly quick arent they?

16. THE_SHIZZ

THE_SHIZZ Member

So I got mine today. Previously coming from android....How do I sync up google contacts if there is no option in "Mail, Contacts, Calender" section? I can see options use Mail, Calendar or Notes. But no contacts showing up?

17. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Lol Golden.

Walked into the Telstra store in the CBD at 10am, walked out with phone bought outright 30mins later all while 4000 people lined up at Apple. :thumbup:

Annoyed by the lack of support for Siri in Aus.. pretty shithouse.

18. Rubberband

Rubberband Member

Fair enough, but I got mine at 10am and I'm still not ported :confused::upset:

19. kabab

kabab Member

Yeah that is a big let down..

I hope they bring it online soon, they did say Siri was still beta....

If you tell it to "search google thai restaurants" it works..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  20. t00ch

t00ch Member

It was all a bit too easy for me really, rang up 3 Priority Care on Monday night, they waived 6 months of contract for me, and waiting for me after work at 1.30pm today was a nice shiny iphone :D