Apple iPhone SE (2020)

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by Zee, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Sadly, not an iPhone 11 in an iPhone 5S body, but about as close as it gets, I guess.

https://www.apple.com/au/iphone-se/specs/

About $100 more expensive than I'd hoped, but I really need a new phone, so...

Z...

2. shino

shino Member

Would a iPhone 8 be better specked or not?

3. Azrael

Azrael Member

Looks good. I’ll be buying one for sure. iP11 internals in an iP8 case. That has me sold.

4. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

The SE has the iPhone 11 processor but wraps it in everything else the iPhone 8 has. Same screen, cameras, touch ID, battery life, all that jazz. Oh but you do get portrait mode in the SE now, so I guess that's something the new processor unlocks.

The colours are slightly different, in the sense that the black on the SE is a slightly darker black compared to the 8, and the white is slightly whiter, but now has a black front anyway. But the rest... either comes down to how much you want to spend, or whether you want 256GB storage or not - as the 8 no longer comes in that size, but the SE does.

I'm personally impressed but at the same time disappointed. Apple had an opportunity to make a real little mid priced cult device here and instead they managed to find a way to continue selling a 4 revision old phone and expect a premium price for it. a $1000 price tag for this is a bit rich.

5. power

power Member

is this finally the 6S killer?

Wondering how long before they pull the trigger on an iOS update that doesn't support it.

6. Hater

Hater Member

Considering you can get an X for half the price, nope.

7. sanjay

sanjay Member

its disappointing that they didn't make it a full screen phone (even using a cheaper LCD like the iPhone XR and 11 use) with a notch for face ID. it looks horribly dated with the fat top and bottom bezels.

also staggering they still have 64gb as the base variant, especially when they tout features like 4k video recording.

nevertheless, at $399 USD its still a bit of a bargain given it's got the A13 bionic in it.

8. power

power Member

used? the used market doesn't count.

the styling is deliberately like this for market segmenting. can't make it look too good. its a poor person iPhone. and the red one is aids.

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

As long as I can remember there's always been and iphone base model with what appears to be undersized space. I guess it's to create another pricepoint and cater for those who really don't do much with their phones other than basically make calls and a few messages / social media time.

10. clonex

clonex Member

i wonder if itll sell out? :D

isnt starting price under $700 on for what ever the smallest storage capacity is

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  11. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

*NOT* having face ID is a feature I prefer. Face ID does not suit my use case. My GF has it on her XR, and she ends up having to type her pin 90% of the time.

I know it seems petty and trivial, but shoving the phone at my face is simply inconvenient for me.

Now, in the name of all that is shiny and golden, I have no idea why they don't just have face ID AND fingerprint scanner, the the Apple logo being the scanner on the back. It just makes sense.

Another thing, I hate the notch. Call me OCD or whatever, but it just drives me mental, prefer a smaller screen with no notch.

Not so much an argument, as a personal choice, and one that many others I know agree with. In fact, I'd be quite happy to forgo the selfie cam to ditch the notch, selfies and video calls are at the very bottom of my requirements list. Probably not a popular opinion, though - I come from a time when you took self portraits with a film camera, and you used The Force™ to frame the image.

What is disappointing, though, is that they didn't go with the iPhone 11 main camera - I think that that was a mistake.

People like me!!!! Though I do use the space and fill it with uncompressed music, so I'm usually a 128GB person.

On a side note - the eSim looks handy, seeing as I'm living between two countries. Is it easy to swap which sim is using data?

ie - I live in Aus and the Philippines about 50/50. I have work related post paid plans for both. My Optus plan is brilliant for roaming, though, as I get 4GB of free roaming data a month - awesome considering I usually spend 5-10 days a month in a random SE Asian country, or the odd 2 week US trip. Trying to work out if having the eSim+real sim is truly a benefit in my case, is it easy to swap between plans, and can, for example, only allow roaming on one sim, so even if I accidentally leave my Philippines sim active, it won't just start chewing up roaming data...?

Poor person phone.. Or.. a person that wants a decently specced "small" (it's not really) phone, but doesn't live their life on it. I use my phone as a work tool, and shoving it in to wall cavities through a wall plate hole is an every day thing for me during site inspections - not really something I want to do with a $2k+ phone with edge to edge display... And too big for the hole int he first place (why i loved the SE - it was the perfect size!)

Z...

12. elcarter1

elcarter1 Member

Was holding out for it. It's close but not what we really wanted. Should have been smaller or a full edge to edge screen and had a phone jack.

I'll put a battery in this old SE and wait for it to drop to where it supposed to be without the AUS tax ~ $550 AUD.

13. clonex

clonex Member

Actually i can see the mrs jumping on this after noticing the red iphone

14. DarthWindu

DarthWindu Member

ffffffff

for cryin out loud. why does the market want yet another clown-sized phone.

iphone 4 was the proper size to fit in a pocket.

my current SE is a resentful compromise, which I 'downgraded' to after a couple of frustrating years lugging a 6 around.

I've been waiting for a new, proper-sized iphone for a while now - had been hoping for the new SE to be a slightly thinner profile, 4" screen.

i am going to be super-angry when they voluntarily push a button to make old SE's obsolete via iOS update.

15. Azrael

Azrael Member

Lol at the outrage at this. Its just a rehash of all the old arguments: 'why are they so big' (ok i get this one, I disliked the iP11 due to the size. Getting the SE as an upgrade from my 6S). 'why doesnt it have edge to edge' (budget) 'why does it cost so much' ($500 less than the iP11) 'why no headphone jack' (IP67).

Its $750 for a good piece of hardware that runs the current revision chip (A13 Bionic) and mercifully still has Touch ID and is 4.7". Camera seems to be upgraded too, on par with the iP XR, and should have reasonable battery life. It will be a welcome upgrade from my iP6S

Interestingly for me it has eSIM, which means i might be able to register it with Telstra for my phone plan and then use a separate SIM overseas for roaming.

16. newynut

newynut Member

So is pre order 10pm or am.
    I am going for 128 mem and interest free zip.
    Aha its 10 pm

17. newynut

newynut Member

Has anyone used zip or latitude interest free.

18. JamesR

JamesR Member

I’m pretty happy with this. i currently have the old SE, and as much as I love the smaller size, I think it’s time to upsize, a little..
    I have been looking at IP8, but with all the talk of the new SE I have been holding out. I’m interested to see what happens with the price of the IP8 now, if it drops a reasonable amount I might still get one, although 64gb is enough and $750 is cheap enough too.

19. Grom Hellscream

Grom Hellscream Member

Was looking at one for my GF but given I paid low $900’s for my XR, makes this a bit of a rip. $650ish is where this should be given the $399US price. Apple all but did away with the Australia tax but now it’s back in force.

20. OP
    OP
    Zee

Zee Member

It's about as close to an ideal upgrade for my 6S as I can get, short of going with the iPhone 5/S/SE form factor.

Can still use 3.5mm headphone jacks with the convertor, from memory, and a few good Aliexpress options for those that are at right angles, so I can live with that.

Price wise, about $100 more than I'd have liked for the 128GB model, but not a deal breaker, overall.

Z...