Apple iPhone users exposed to spyware through tainted websites

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by Bold Eagle, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Many apple users seem to think they are bullet proof to any malware or malicious software - guess again! You may have been farmed over the last couple of years.

Apple iPhone users exposed to spyware through tainted websites, Google researchers say

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08...acked-spyware-tainted-website-google/11467438

2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

About time they got their fair share of infections : p

3. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

The biggest problem is many of them have had these false sense of security for a very prolonged period that they are complacent and or naive and lack due diligence when it comes to online behavior.

The article notes it was a nation-state actor who didn't care about hiding the attempt;

4. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

A billion plus iOS devices in the world. Article states “thousands” of devices compromised. Won’t say the sites or types of sites involved in the malware.

I’m not buying this as a major issue. At least no more major than similar vulnerabilities on other platforms.

Hell, YEARS ago you could get jailbroken and give root away by visiting a website. Not sure how this is new news.

5. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Just curious, what do you suggest people should be doing with their phones to be 'safe'? Are you suggesting running AV software?

All these articles are stupid, any online system is vulnerable in some way, if you visit dodgy sites then you will probably get dodgy shit no matter what your OS is, I love how its been found by Google researchers and doesn't mention any of the sites that are apparently susceptible.

Sounds like a giant load of fear mongering BS to me, and yeah, I use Android and iOS, but I haven't had any issues ever, even with Windows.

6. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I am not suggesting anything so don't come in with a "shoot the messenger" bullshit mentality!

Well there is anti-Malware software for mobiles isn't there so only idiots wouldn't use something;
    https://www.techradar.com/au/best/best-android-antivirus-app

I wonder is there is something equivalent to NoScript for mobile devices?!?

The article is clearly pointing at China but is treading very cautiously as to not drop names if you read between the lines and looking at some of the apps that were targeted.

7. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

It just seems like your attitude is that anyone using an iPhone and not securing with something makes them stupid, I don't secure my phones nor do you need to, if you have half a brain you will be fine, it's pretty hard to access someones phone, if anything, iOS would be harder than Android.

Even my home computers only run the standard MS defender stuff and the Mac's just the built in one as well, I have the network behind a VPN and we don't visit sites that would cause harm, in 30 years I've not had a single issue.

And as if anyone would run some shitty bloatware anti-malware crap, just don't click on stupid links or visit silly sites.

I just don't like unnecessary fear mongering, it's not required.

8. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Probably like most things internet wise it's just a matter of being careful what you do and where you go.

Sipheren likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

Anyone using any electronic device online and not trying to secure it, especially when there are a multitude of free option and lot's of choices, is a mindlessly stupid bloody idiot!

It is a blatant cover up that has only come out now. Out of most users the Apple crowd seem to live in this bubble of no-one and nothing can ever touch me - well that is very clearly and obviously bullshit and were Apple users ever informed of this vulnerability/exploit - no they fucking weren't!

I am not fear mongering I am simply presenting recent information from credible sources!

Maybe look into the article and review the varied sources rather than getting on some mindless bandwagon - oh google's attacking Apple!

https://www.latimes.com/business/st...infected-iphones-with-spyware-researchers-say

https://www.snopes.com/ap/2019/08/30/researchers-websites-infected-iphones-with-spyware/

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  10. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Fair enough, from that point sure, but as a large company with millions of users, unless something actually effects more than 10% I wouldn't do anything either, just patch it and move on as it obviously isn't that serious nor worth the loss in share price.

And don't for a second think MS, Google, etc don't do the same.