Apple iWatch Series 4

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Sep 13, 2018.

1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Bezel-less iWatch 4 just announced.

Beautifully redesigned with breakthrough communication, fitness and health capabilities

https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2018...olutionizes-communication-fitness-and-health/

Certainly looks pretty nice. I'm tempted.

Prices?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  2. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

I’m tempted as well. Does anyone know if the HR sampling frequency during a workout has improved from the 5s intervals of my watch series 2?

3. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Looks pretty swish. The speed upgrade between series 2 and 3 was decent so this could be quite another jump again. I'll stick with my S3 for a while longer, though I'm keen to see the physical difference in the 44mm vs my 42mm on my wrist, and then how they look with this bigger screen size.

4. mmBax

mmBax Member

I’ve been looking at getting one for a while now, but have never been able to commit, nearly purchased one about 4 months ago but decided to hold out. So I’m a day 1 buyer if I can get my hands on one. 44mm, GPS only for 650AUD I believe. I was going to get Cellular but it’s 799AUD and I definitely can’t justify it.

I haven’t worn a watch for a while now, hopefully it’s not too much of a shock to my system to go from no watch to a large screen.

5. vegeta529

vegeta529 Member

I had the cellular on the Series 3 - I would have used it 1-2 times max in a year and it costs an extra $5 per month with Telstra and Optus once you have done your 6 'free months'. ApplePay and Music can work offline so I think I'm going the GPS one this time.

6. mmBax

mmBax Member

^ Yeah it doesn't help that I'm on a corporate plan either. From what I gather we've got a pricing structure coming our way soon and we may be implementing it in October. But realistically I don't think I need it. I'm not one to go jogging or riding without a phone, and a backpack is cheaper than the cellular watch.

Pretty keen, would like to have tried the 44 on to see the size upgrade but I'm sure it'll be fine.

7. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

For what it's worth, I have one of these which my regular size iPhone 7 fits in with no issues, and it sits comfortably at the small of my back without bouncing around.

Mind you I specifically got a cellular series 3 watch so I didn't have to run with my phone on my back :)

8. zoki_007

zoki_007 Member

Im upgrading from a Series 2 to one of these (aluminium space black). Let you all know how it is next week Friday arvo.

9. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

10. mmBax

mmBax Member

I'm pretty keen, hopefully I'm home tomorrow when attempted delivery is made. It's been a very long week.

11. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Apple deliveries don't get left at auspost outlets right?

12. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Our two have been delivered to my wife’s folks place ready to collect after work!

Just a little excited.

13. mmBax

mmBax Member

No idea, TNT handles the deliveries. Their depot is near my house so it wouldn't have been a huge issue either way. But I was lucky enough to be home.

For my first watch I don't have any preconceptions. But I'm impressed, I got the 44mm and I was thinking it'd be bigger than I thought. Still getting used to having it there and getting used to everything it can do.

14. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Went and had a look at lunch. The 4 isn't as slim as I was anticipating it would be compared to my 3, though the screen is utterly beautiful.

Another note, the Nike+ faces are configured with the yellowy/green Volt colour again by default, instead of the red like S3 was.

15. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

The Nike series are the same under the hood right?

16. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I think so, but different bands in the box and nike branded faces available for use that you can't add. Similar to the Hermes branded edition.
    Oh I think the running club app is pre-installed too. But that can be added on a regular one.

17. OP
    OP
    MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Decided to try the Gear S3 instead.

18. mmBax

mmBax Member

Update from me, about a week in.

I’m still getting used to it, and how it falls into my life, it’s ridiculously handy, and for anyone struggling with screen time problems this is potentially a fix. I wouldn’t say that I had issues with screen time, but I’d often be checking messages/emails with the phone. And I’d keep it nearby just in case I got a call- as I’m on silent nearly 90% of the time.

But now I’ve found once I get home my phone generally gets put on the bench or on my desk and I ignore it. Phone calls and messages come to the watch and if it’s trivial I can reply with the watch or I can go and grab the phone or go to the PC and reply.

Alarms, Telling the time, Timers, Notifications, Activity goals, HR – it’s all brilliant.

I was super sceptical of the battery life, and it was almost a deal breaker. 18 hours advertised battery life was pretty poor, that’s a guaranteed charge nightly. It was tough, reading about people that charge while they get ready for work, and the other camp of people that charge overnight. I was baffled, it takes me 10 minutes to get ready for work and 5 minutes to get here, 15 minutes of charging time isn’t going to help. And I like sleep tracking, so I didn’t really want to go without overnight, plus, I really wanted the alarm on my wrist.

However, I’ve found that I’m getting significantly more than 18 hours, I got 48 hours most recently, with 7% left. I’ve heard about people turning it off overnight or in periods of downtime to help last that extra time, but the only change I made was put it in cinema mode so it wouldn’t be flashing overnight. That gives me some confidence that if I’ve only managed to pump 40% of a charge into it before leaving for work, I’m quite confident I can last out until the next morning.

What I wish it did better? Lots.

Navigation, silently frustrated that when I tried to navigate to a place on the watch, the maps app loaded on the phone and started screaming directions at me. I’m sure I can get around this, but I was hoping the watch would be discrete, and the phone could stay off in my pocket.

Spotify. I mean seriously. The way I have my media set up at home, I control all my music and where it plays through Spotify. Either the app on the phone or just a good remote I’ve seen one but its 7 dollars or something, I’m very sceptical of third party apps that cost money sometimes.

Alerts, sometimes it feels as though I miss one.

Really that’s about it, as I said I’m still learning how it fits into my life, so I’m sure I’ll find more that I wish it had soon.

19. Skexis

Skexis Member

Surely learning how it fits into your life could be construed as not needing it in the first place and trying to find a niche for it now you've got it.

I was toying with buying one for the wife for xmas but we both use prepay.