Apple locks third party repairers out.

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by power, Oct 5, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

Apple push the envelope in every region they operate in, it's why they are so successful. Expect to see anti-competitive repair policy in regions that allow it.

Govts do dictate to Apple. It's why they have to pay Apple employees in Australia you know properly, otherwise it's slave labour China wage for you.

frnak likes this.
  2. roamin

roamin Member

security my ass, its all about certified repair centres.

considering the latest ios is able to be jailbroken, i dont believe there security is worth shit. if they cant stop there own software from being hacked then good luck with the hardware level too. everything can be bypassed with time.
    look at the nintendo switch, less then 12 months after release, hacked due to a hardware loophole.

seen the linus video on getting his mac repaired? apple, well they couldnt even fix it, they gave it back broken! but louis could and did fix it. yeah good luck with there repair centers too.
    see the video where a customer was quoted over $1000 for a new screen on his mac laptop? well louis had it fixed in under 5 mins including the strip down of the mac, fixed the pin that was faulty, back to the customer it went for free.
    sorry but i will stick with devices i can get a 3rd party to fix. im not an enterprise hardware and i am not buying enterprise hardware from mac. im a joe blow consumer who throws there toys around like 99% of the rest of the world.

not to mention, i think theres laws in place where companies are not allowed to force your hand like this too. maybe im wrong, but i thought i read an article about a similar situation some time ago.
    theres a reason we now get refunds on steam, because its the law!
    loot boxes being removed from games around the world, classed as gambling and removed due to laws around the world.
    if there is a law against companies forcing your hand to do what they say, then it wont work here either.

people who have invested thousands into mac products will always defend them. its a natural thing. we used to be mac, not a mac product in sight anymore. dont think there ever will be.

ive watched a lot of vids on apples customer care, genius bars and all that crap, man they can market well, extremely well. but there practices, well they need a lot of work.
    "your finger goes from here, to here" that still makes me laugh. apple flogging larger phones in the day.

to me its only a financial reason. nothing to do with your security.

3. aokman

aokman Member

There is a big difference between jailbreaking a phone with owners intervention and trying to compromise a device without that level of access...

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The celebrity worship going on here is bordering on a legitimate mental health issue. Genuinely concerning.

I can't, and won't bow down to someone based on the money they make by abusing markets, paying barely enough for foreign workers to survive, almost to levels that border on human rights abuse. I mean, shit, if only their blatant ignorance to "right to repair" was the company's worst fault.

And as far as "the mighty dollar always wins", go and read about Sarbanes-Oxley. Anyone who worships the dollar above all else learns sooner or later there are still societal rules greater than money.

If you're going to tell me that Apple's wealth dictates their righteousness above all else, you're already lost, and nobody can snap you out of that hole. It's genuinely sad to see a person so wrapped up in the chase for money that it dictates their opinions on the things that matter.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...pple-iphone-brian-merchant-one-device-extract

2SHY, power and BAK like this.
  5. roamin

roamin Member

true, but like all things, if your shit is that important to someone else who is clever, they will find a way. ie: steal said device, wait for hack on new system, hack your system once the hack is available.
    with the hatred that a lot of hackers have towards apple, im guessing they will get enjoyment on breaking apples new security and making it public too. just like all other jailbreaks that keep on coming. apple cant stop shit.

but whats so bad about getting my phone repaired by bazzas phone repairs service around the corner from home? why do i need to drive to apple? how is apple changing my lcd screen more secure then baz doing it?

how does there special CHIP save my data and personal info exactly? say i didnt have the chip, why is it so bad for me to get baz to fix my apple device?

6. aokman

aokman Member

You seem to determine that me liking their products means I worship them... I will use any product I deem to fit my needs. If someone did what Apple did for half the price, I would leave Apple in a ditch like a cheap hooker.

I also never said Apple is righteous in any way, but I do pay credit where credit is due, they know their market and they know how to sell a product. I wish I had a trillion dollars in the bank to prove them wrong but such is the world we live in. As for exploiting cheap overseas labour, let me know when you wake up in 2018, every...single...tech company in the world does this. They are willing to offer cheap labour and companies are exploiting it which is growing their economy at the end of the day. Could Apple make products in the USA with Murica'n pride? Sure if you want to pay 2.5x the prices you are already paying.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 5:03 PM
  7. aokman

aokman Member

No one said you have to get it replaced by Apple, if you want to buy a 3rd party screen from some dodgy corner store then go for it just don't complain to Apple if you have image quality issues later like my friend did. You do need to keep in mind though that the fingerprint sensor on older phones is an integral part of the security and I think Apple are well within their rights to block copies of it.

I personally don't think Apples screen replacement prices are that outrageous considering what Samsung charge and they are fixing something you did not a defect in the device.

8. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

Can someone PLEASE think of the poor Apple Authorised Repair Agents, who would otherwise miss out without these anti-competitive measures.
    They have to pay Apple fees for the rights and everything.

roamin likes this.
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Not every single tech company. There are still many who care about sustainability, and are seeking a better, fairer away to do business.

And again, I'm not convinced that, just because some companies do the wrong thing, suddenly it becomes the right thing. Morality doesn't work that way.

Once again, your worship of financial success, and your justification of market and human abuse is all very, very worrying.

10. aokman

aokman Member

I have bigger things in my life to worry about other then what other companies do with their workforce. When it comes to sustainability, I think Apple do lead the way with that or at least sit near the top with their choice of build materials.

FYI the only company I worship is SpaceX and Elon Musk.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:56 PM
  11. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I've been known to reflow when the client agrees to the potential issues associated with the process and signs a document stating so. As yet I haven't had an issue, with the exception of the poor devices I perfected my procedure on, devices that were damaged leftovers anyway.

EDIT: Most of my reflows are Apple based from the 2011 era. Made well my ass.

12. aokman

aokman Member

They are made well within the limits of the law you can blame lead free solder for that and stress fractures through fatigue / thermal cycling. Same issues that plague BGA GPUs, consoles etc. Apple offered a very long free repair policy for it.

On one hand manufacturers are supposed to remove lead to save the enviroment then you end up with higher failure rates and more ewaste.

Technically all Louis’s repairs are in breach of those acts due to him using leaded solder. The devices can no longer be recycled without extra work.

13. flu!d

Actually, the issue is related more to the fact that an iMac is a dust trap. The cooling layout literally sucks balls. BGA devices don't like running too hot for extended periods and any time you open one of these devices up with a failed BGA based GPU they are 'full' of crap.

I don't experience the issue on literally any other device.

Another good one is the 2012 MacBook HDD SATA ribbons that fail right at the 90 degree bend the second you even touch the ribbon to replace the hard drive. The build quality of Apple devices is vastly overstated by the cult of Apple.

Give me a Dell or HP workstation or high end laptop any day.

14. aokman

aokman Member

Depends on the enviroment, I have taken apart quite a few early iMacs and never had a blocked cooling system including my cinema display. I did have to take my LCD panel apart once though to clean the dust out of the backlight diffuser from the active cooling in the cinema display. I think that is one of the reasons they glued them to prevent dirt ingress into the panel.

I cant really put it on them though it was a 6yr old panel and both my Dell U2711’s died in 3 yrs.

No thanks with Dell or HP workstations, used to repair them back in the day, dead fans, capacitor plague which was massive failure rates and power supply failures. I have never known Apple to use a cheap PSU, they are always high end from Delta etc and use Japanese caps, why other manufacturers wont do it still to this day blows my mind.

15. flu!d

Got a Dell T5500 running just fine here, one of the best purchases I ever made and built like a tank. The Dell Precision line are essentially server grade hardware. You won't see dead fans, leaky capacitors or failed PSU's regarding the Precision range of products. The XPS range of products are equally as good.

Better than a 5,1 Mac Pro IMO due to better hardware compatibility with aftermarket GPU's and I'm a believer that the 4,1/5,1 Mac Pro's are the only devices Apple truely got right.

Fact is, BGA GPUs fail at a far higher rate in iMacs than any other machine I've ever seen. It's time the iMac was put to pasture, that design with its massive lower bezel looks so damn dated and it's a dust trap.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 7:40 AM
  16. darknebula

darknebula Member

Could someone catch me up, what additional security does locking repairers out bring that Filevault doesn't already provide?

17. flu!d

Apparently locking one's data to a single, soldered HDD that's already encrypted using file vault is better because your data is essentially locked to that HDD to the literal point of destruction?! Personally I can't see how that's in any way better than file vault. I personally see it for what it is, quite simply a massive inconvenience for the consumer.

darknebula and frnak like this.
  18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

After this report I'm starting to think that this may not even take off in the US or here in Australia. Strongly doubt the EU will have a bar of it.

https://uspirg.org/sites/pirg/files/reports/Warranties in the Void - U.S. PIRG Education Fund - Oct2018.pdf

In the US this may not even get off the ground due to it being illegal to forbid third party repair.

Here in Australia they'd get done by the ACC and in the EU well we all know how large corporates are treated when they undertake anti-competitive behaviour.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 9:12 AM
    Catweazle likes this.
  19. aokman

aokman Member

Oooo the big bad ACCC, I bet Apple are scared :lol:

20. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

they don't need to be scared, just comply.