Apple MacBook Pro & New iMac

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Deeman, Jan 11, 2006.

1. Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

So, Apple have just superseded the entire Powerbook line with the new Intel-based 'Macbook Pro', and updated the iMac too.

Not too many specs on the iMac yet (edit: See link at bottom), but some info on the 'Macbook Pro'.

Built in iSight, 'Dual processor' (i assume they mean dual core - Edit: 'Core Duo' seems to be what they've labelled the CPU's, so they are single CPU, but dual core), and a 15.4" widescreen, as bright as the Apple Cinema displays... Built in remote functionality, and a magnetically attached power cord, so that if someone kicks it, it just pulls out.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060110-5940.html

On the new iMac:

:lol:

They're being demoed as we speak at Macworld San Francisco, i'll update this as they appear in a few more places, and hopefully with some pics. A good day for anyone who has interest in the Apple portable line...

Edit: US prices, and with an integrated X1600. Will be interesting to see how quickly they're hacked to run Windows. If they can make them totally Windows compatible, i'd be sold (need Windows compatibility for work). The quality of the mac laptops is incredible...

2.8KG, $1999 model 1.6 core duo, 667 mhz FSB, 512mb, 80gb SATA, 4x superdrive, X1600 ATI, 1.67ghz. $2499 model, 1.83ghz Core Du, 1gb, 100gb SATA. Ships in February. Taking orders today.

Edit: On Apple's AUS site now.

http://store.apple.com/133-622/WebObjects/australiastore

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. Abercrombi3

Abercrombi3 (Banned or Deleted)

the 2 last links don't work :(

so when is the release date??????

3. OP
    OP
    Deeman

Deeman Vagrant.

Damn cookies. Fixed - you can see them on the store link, and click for more detail.

Release is 'now', but Apple are predicting a February shipping date...

4. jboles

jboles Member

This is exactly the machine I've been waiting for -- I've held out with my 3-year-old damn-slow PB G4 in the hopes that a new dual-CPU* x86 PB would be released.... and here it is :) my wallet is cringing in fear ;)

Trying to decide whether its worth an extra ~$720 (after .edu discount) to get the 256mb VGA (and I also then wouldn't have to purchase+install my own memory upgrade, and the slightly increased clock speed and extra 20gb is insignificant to me)

Edit re: "dual CPU". Intel Core Duo has two processing units, so I believe it is terminologically correct to refer to it as "dual CPU", despite it being "single chip". It's irrelevant whether each CPU is on its own socket or whether they share a socket. Most people seem to use the term "single CPU" when they actually mean "single chip" but I believe this is incorrect.

5. djsherly

djsherly Member

I think it's awesome value. Even the big box shifters like Dell would be hard pressed to come up with that spec for the price being asked.

6. Kharn

Kharn Member

See the world they said. So i bought a mac.
    Awesome, second revision and i'm upgrading. I wonder how long it will take to get windows working side by side with OSX. It would be an awesome combination.

It has all the usual features: Backlit Keyboard, Wireless/bluetooth, ilife etc. No Firewire 800 though :(

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

Dual core iMac! Wow isn't that awesome! Great lappy too (although maybe I should wait for the smaller version - 15.4 too big for me). Salary sacrifice time!

8. vindicator

vindicator Member

I'm eagarly awaiting the Intel Desktops.

I'll be completely rid of Windows then.

No more PowerPC, no more PowerBook or PowerMac.

Thoughts on naming scheme?

9. shift

shift Member

That's Intel's name for them, it's not something Apple made up. It's "Yonah" to most people.

10. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

I love how thinksecret and all the other rumour-mongering sites got it COMPLETELY wrong :p

11. Lujan

Lujan Member

Just ordered my new laptop. ETA is March :( but thats hardly unexpected.

12. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2006
  13. GreenBeret

GreenBeret Member

They're not. Intel chips in a Mac make it the most versatile platform. Which other platform that can run Mac OSX, Linux/*BSD and Windows? For me as a web developer and one who loves to use everything, it's like a dream machine.

14. Rake

Rake Member

I would think they keep the Power-prefixed named line of products alive.

I don't think the product names are based off the processer architecture, but rather, the market at which they're aimed. iBooks, iMacs is a friendly name and product aimed at everybody, with your general population and less-than-savvy people, students, families, also designed to be more affordable.

The Power range is for the people who know a bit about computers and like/require the extra features, such as better screen resolutions, more burner options, faster processors and networking speeds, bigger harddrives, sleek professional type styling, more gadgetry type stuff (like bluetooth), yada yada. Power Books and Power Macs for Power users.

15. Quadbox

Quadbox Member

"Core Duo" and "Core Solo" are the name replacements for "pentium m". The whole assembly's being marketted as "Centrino Duo".

What was until recently codenamed Yonah

16. yoink

yoink Member

Jobs mentioned that Photoshop on rosetta is not very fast
    I'm wondering if that would put people off buying it till Adobe write a native version?
    What about all other software, that has to run on rosetta, will it also be a lot slower? :confused:

17. chip

chip Member

damn, they're sweet looking laptops.

Intel would have to be happy, now that we're one step closer to homogeneity in the PC hardware world.

18. -=N0N@ME420=-

-=N0N@ME420=- Member

You can run windows on it? Does that mean you can run OSX on a normal PC?

19. StratosFear

StratosFear Member

Ummm a PC ?

Windows support on an x86 mac at this point is just as good as OSX support on an x86 PC really.

As far as i'm aware (I could be wrong) Microsoft hasn't officially announced support for Mac's.

That said I'm looking forward to salary sacrificing an x86 mac. But i'm also looking forward to running a patched 10.4.4 OSX on my AMD machine.

20. Eroda

Eroda Member

was going to do a keynote thread but fell asleep :p

around the iweb part of keynote i fell asleep missed the new macs :(

from what ive heard jobs milked it right to the end, and said just one more thing!
    when i get home in 3 hours ill host the keynote somewhere (once i save it of course go QT pro)