Apple 'Self Service Repair' Store Will Let Consumers Fix Their Own iPhones

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by power, Nov 18, 2021.

1. power

power Member

Apple 'Self Service Repair' Store Will Let Consumers Fix Their Own iPhones

This is a super positive move from Apple and after the whole screen replacement fiasco on the 13 and previous litigation against people selling parts it will be interesting to see how this shakes out. Now just let people side load and stop telling everyone it's evil and well Apple might just dominate Android completely.

Oh and supposedly Mac repair and parts to follow.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
  2. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

i would say 98% of people would not even consider fixing their iphone themselves... but i do agree that it's a good move

ipv6ready likes this.
  3. bYrd

bYrd Member

It's a surprising, and odd, move from Apple that seems only offered due to threat of litigation from various countries. Repairing iPhones is a shit, and I've done it so often for friends/family I don't want to keep doing it - but it the iPhone 13+ is easier to repair, good on them.

4. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

definitely not for everyone that's for sure and they do know this.

5. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's not about who wants to do the repairs - 98% of people wouldn't fix ANYTHING. It's about giving people an option to choose who does fix their privately owned items.

Warranty is one thing, but outside of that, you paid for the item, and you should be able to have anyone of your choosing fix it if it breaks. Neither Apple nor any other company get to dictate what individuals do with their privately owned equipment.

Bigger picture, I'm still cynical about this move. I half expect Apple to use it as further argument to shut down "unauthorised" third party repairers (again, where Apple have no right to authorise anything once it's outside of the warranty period).

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

iFixit thinks it's a trap and maybe a PR stunt.

https://gizmodo.com/apple-finally-lets-you-repair-your-own-iphone-1848074649