1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to Announce its own Mac Processor

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by aokman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

It's the owners device data, obviously. That can't even be a serious question.

It's also up to the owner to back up their data appropriately for the medium it's primarily stored on.

Fuck, it's not complicated?

aokman likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

The data doesn't have to die with the device, if you are relying on a laptop or phone to be the sole carrier of your data with 0 chance of data loss forever then really you deserve whats coming to you. Apple make it stupidly easy to ensure your data is synchronised and safeguarded, or a 3rd party can do it also.

The lockdowns benefit the consumer by ensuring data security which should be hands down the most important feature. What Louis doesn't tell you is that data can be recovered most of the time with authorised recovery tools that he has no knowledge of or access to.

As for storage being soldered in... well that is a combination of T2 and also the ultrabook form factor. Any road blocks in the process of data theft is a significant deterrent. By soldering memory down, you make it a high risk venture to desolder it or the T2 chip with a high probability of killing something or having to tap a few hundred wires into the PCB. The interface between the SSD memory and T2 is completely custom, a drop in SSD interface like NVMe simply wouldn't work, end of story.

They could make a proprietary interface to make the actual memory chips removable from the mainboard like the Mac Pro sure but at the end of the day, it takes up valuable space and memory chips failing is so remote these days that its pointless aside from storage upgrades. You will also note that Apple now sells SSD upgrade kits for the Mac Pro while having T2 fitted, so you tell me, how are they killing off repair and upgrade options for consumers where the design allows for it?

Soldering stuff down is nothing new, hell even Razer (eww) solders their memory down in their Macbook clone lines.

We live in the age of 0 accountability, its Apples fault I didn't backup my data and now they are purposely stopping me from recovering it :lol:

3. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Isn't MacOS supposed to be simple? Aimed at the average Mum and Dad, Grandma and Grandpa types? In the real world, few know what backups are. For many, it's all complicated.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It's honestly frightening that you think so. You buy the device, you own the device, it's your right to do with it as you please, including repair it how you like. I'm not sure how that's up for debate.

2SHY, 3Toed and flu!d like this.
  5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

My latest Asus ROG gaming laptop has one DIMM soldered on. It's not like it's just apple like you say.

6. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Plug in any external USB drive and use Time Machine to back up. Is that overly complicated for you?

7. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Lets not confuse simplicity with being a tight ass. iCloud has your back, if you pay for the allowed space (same as any other platform like Onedrive, Dropbox, Google Drive etc). Then there is Time Machine etc etc...

8. flu!d

Well...When the HDD is technically perfect and it's just the logic board that's died?

Let's set the T2 chip aside for a moment. Why did certain MacBook Air's have an m.2 SSD with a unique to Apple pin out? Why does the HDD in newer Mac's need to be soldered to the logic board? I never mentioned that soldering stuff was anything new, I do it all the time regarding SMT components. But to use it when there's no need on a device with a known limited lifespan? That's more than a little odd.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  9. flu!d

Who's talking about me? I deal with people daily who have no idea what Time Machine is. Contrary to your flawed opinion and obvious attempt to make this conversation personal, I know how to use my Mac thank you.

10. flu!d

iCloud confuses the average user no end. They hate it, because they delete the photo's on their phone thinking the originals are safe on their Mac - Sadly that's not always the case.

11. elvis

So when this thread started everyone got offended when we assumed the average Apple user wasn't tech savvy. Now on the flip side the pro-Apple camp are insulting their own target demographic of users who want out-of-the-box simplicity?

Weird thread is weird.

Can confirm, my non-media Apple customers have no idea what it is or how to manage it.

flu!d likes this.
  12. flu!d

As highlighted earlier, a point I myself picked up on.

Strange times indeed.

elvis likes this.
  13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

You like to think everyone cares to make things personal with you, don't you? I don't actually give two fucks about you, mate, and I don't seek you out on here just to argue with you like you seemingly believe everyone likes to do. It's frankly astonishing how your only counter argument to so many things is "waaah you're only saying that to be contrarian to me cos you're an idiot and my opinion is automatically greater than yours cos I'm a fluid."

Fuck, you should be on ignore by default.

Fluid said it was too hard for average users to take responsibility for their own data. Others have merely pointed out it's really actually easy and built for tech savvy people or not tech savvy people. This isn't a conspiracy or a political sided issue????

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  14. flu!d

You just proved my point perfectly. Please, put me on ignore.

15. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Frankly mate I don't know what you're point ever is other than to be contrarian and arrogant.

Has it ever crossed your mind the reason you find yourself in so many arguments is actually your post behavior?

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  16. flu!d

Once again...

I have not insulted you at all, and here you are making things personal?

17. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Who knows why Apple did it except the engineers, perhaps they changed the interface because it wasn't pin compatible with off the shelf SSD's but could still technically fit and damage the board. Apple were one of the very first to adopt NVMe SSD's and super fast speeds in their laptops so I don't even know if the interface standard was ratified when the products were originally designed. Once T2 was implemented, the interface went away as no off the shelf SSD would fit as the memory controller is run by T2 which would normally be on the SSD board instead.

iMac pro and Mac Pro both have replaceable SSD's and not insanely priced through Apple for their speed class. They can also be bypassed completely, T2 disabled at the users peril and the system booted from external storage. Apple could have chosen to block that easily in software.... but they didn't.

I will agree that is not perfect on Mac but it's flawless on iPhone and iPad for me. Most of the Mac issues are from not understanding it though. Regardless if you hate it, use Dropbox or something.

You do own the device but it is irrational to expect Apple to leave all their devices completely open for all consumers just so you can get cheap repairs. You can repair it all you want, just don't expect access to all Apples internal tools and IP like you are a wizard. Yes I agree you should have access to parts but at the same time, they will do you shit all good without the recovery tools Apple use which cannot be out in the wild.

18. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Not really, you've misinterpreted my post and decided it's all about you. Something you seem prone to do having observed other arguments you get into in other subforums.

Save yourself the key strokes and save yourself the inevitable "no you" reply - I'm going to place you on ignore. Have a good one.

19. flu!d

Sounds great. Good decision.

20. elvis

Why are we jumping between extremes here? No of course I don't expect Apple to kowtow to third parties, but I do expect them to obey consumer law.

This argument perpetually seems to bounce between black and white with no room for grey. Locking all third parties out too extreme. A happy medium can exist.

Fluid is arguing the point, not attacking the individual. I can't see anything arrogant about that.

As for contrarian, that simply dismisses that opinion exists that differs to yours. If you want an echo chamber, just PM people you know who already agree with you.

flu!d likes this.