1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to Announce its own Mac Processor

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by aokman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Hater

Hater Member

c'mon now i've clocked motorol and PowerPC chips and modifying G4/G5 powermacs with all matter of PC components was some of the most fun things about them

LANs were fun back then too. Unreal Tournament 2004 and starcraft ran waaaaaaaaaaaaay better on my dual G5 than it did on anybodies PC (that said I had a 9800 pro while everyone else was in MX440/GeForce3 Ti loser land) and rocking up and playing real games on a mac back then made nerd heads explode

plus lets face it the G5 was way sexier than any white box PC back then

30" cinema display in a sea of 17" CRT's and 15" TFT's.... oh baby

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
    GumbyNoTalent, [KEi]SoVeReIgN and Zee like this.
  2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I've still got an overclocked G4 Mac Mini. It's now running MorphOS, so kinda like a MorphOS Mini.

It handles the overclock just fine.

Zee likes this.
  3. connico

connico Member

I thought it was a good thing when MACs started to appear with Intel chips... but low and behold it wasnt what I had imaged would happen, MAC OS starting to support intel CPUs and chipsets... anyone remember the days when we could build OS9 on a 486?

Apple building their own processors isn't a new thing and it wont change our access... :p

Zee likes this.
  4. flu!d

Some of us have join dates predating this incarnation of OCAU, going all the way back to before the whole forum shutdown. From memory I think I joined in 1999, a far better community back then.

Zee likes this.
  5. Hater

Hater Member

Used to run NT4 on PowerPC!

connico and flu!d like this.
  6. flu!d

Sticking it to the man. Nice. ;)

7. kogi

kogi Member

Wasn't sure if this has being posted
    Apple mac mini dev kit unbox and benchmarked
    edit: original video has being taken down, so I guess this might go the same way

vs i3 mac mini.PNG vs ipad pro.PNG

RnR likes this.
  8. millsy

millsy Member

If I recall it's super against apple TOS to post that, wouldn't surprise me if they banhammered everyone posting details.

9. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Calling it vendor worship is not a good start to productive discussion.

I knew as I wrote it someone would call that out. :lol:

All true (and I've done it myself!) but niche of all niches thanks to Apple restrictions. ;)

Don't disagree, everything you just said is true - But it's sort of my point - Apple's recent direction is incongruent to OCAU's general interest so things don't get objectively discussed. IMHO.

10. Hater

Hater Member

man, imagine if the CPU was socketed. and the RAM was socketed. imagine onboard upgrades of storage and memory and CPU and being able to do it for your phone too

i am in a fantasy land

Zee likes this.
  11. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Nor is ignoring the consumer rights issues which are the crux of all the counter arguments on a forum full of people who join together on the common element of enjoying control over their computers.

Nor is labelling every valid counter argument a

3Toed likes this.
  12. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

I don't think the antithesis of every Apple argument is "consumer rights"

You know I'm not doing that

13. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I think I'm done here. Every discussion has boiled down to "shampoo is better ; conditioner is better" followed by folks getting offended by things and retaliating in kind, followed by more finger pointing. I own my part in that for sure. But I was warned about "glass jaws", and boy were they right.

And it is somewhat typical of these discussions, in part simply because of a complete lack of information from Apple. In an absence of information we all take guesses at what's next, but the bizarre part is how that's then considered "trolling". As if anything short of total agreement can't be a serious point of view.

I said way back on the first page that despite 30 odd years around Apple products, I think I'm done with the company finally. I've got a handful of Apple clients left (ironically I'm fixing a 2015 Retina MacBook Pro fan tonight - from a time when that was possible), but I can't see my support for these folks lasting much longer. Honestly, I can't see them being Apple customers much longer either, given how much they're complaining about recent changes.

Likewise, I think my time in these subforums is done. There's so little discussion (again, mostly due to Apple not providing anything worth discussion), and the little there is devolves into religious argument. I'm happy my final thread was something useful (the Time Machine thread). I'm just saddened that discussion of useful things wasn't as common as the whining about people who dare take their consumer rights seriously. A sad end to a company and a product line I used to enjoy.

Yeah. Definitely done here.

14. teej

teej Member

Just watched a WWDC session on the new Macs and RnR was on the money about AVX not being translated by Rosetta.

Also probably of interest to a few folks on this thread, it was mentioned that Target Disk Mode is being replaced with Mac Sharing Mode which will see user data exposed via an SMB file share.

RnR and [KEi]SoVeReIgN like this.
  15. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

16. RnR

RnR Member

Yeah its real interesting.

I channeled elvis and made a prediction over on the Ampere thread in the Video subforum that in 5 years time we might see a next-gen console using ARM chips... a SoC by nvidia. Kick arse ARM chips will be very interesting for nvidia as they don't have an x86 licence.

Watch this space ;)

17. flu!d

The problem is, every time Nvidia make an ARM based SoC, it sucks. My Nexus 9 had the worst performance ever.

18. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Real shame they're ditching target disk mode but makes sense in the context of T2 and secure boot etc, and it'd been gimped for years with Firewire speeds over thunderbolt.

Presumably Mac sharing will be much faster, but require a running OS so less likely to work on a broken Mac, unless it uses another implementation of bridgeOS on a T2 itself. Hm.

19. RnR

RnR Member

nVidia wouldn't be making them. Apple would :)

20. teej

teej Member

That leads in to something else mentioned in that talk: the old boot time keyboard shortcuts will be replaced by a user interface that's accessed by holding the Touch ID or Power button. That could be awkward on a broken Mac.