1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to Announce its own Mac Processor

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by aokman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Was there any info how this worked? Target disk mode was a good way to get data off without a properly functioning software install. If it's using smb presumably you need a working software config?

2. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I'm gonna be pissed if they remove target disk mode, that was actually a really handy feature.

3. Hater

Hater Member

Data recovery, only available at an Apple store for a flat fee of $199*

*Per file

flu!d likes this.
  4. teej

teej Member

There wasn't much detail but I presume it boots from a recovery OS specific volume (seperate to the usual system volume) which then exposes the Data volume over SMB. (For those who haven't been following macOS the traditional 'Macintosh HD' is a composite of a read-only system volume and a read/write Data volume these days.) Perhaps the idea is that this will be used mainly for migrations rather than recovery.

Well there's a slide titled "Mac Sharing Mode" with the text "Replaces Target Disk Mode" so I don't think there's any ambiguity as to what they're intending.

That URL again is https://developer.apple.com/videos/play/wwdc2020/10686/. "Start-up experience" kicks off at the 16:50 mark and "Mac Sharing Mode" starts at 17:46.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Ah, apologies if I missed that earlier.

Oh that's right!!! I don't think I've had to use that in years. I totally forgot that was an option.

6. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

7. teej

teej Member

I don't think we have the full picture yet. They've put a lot of effort into userspace drivers and although there's no sign of a userspace GPU API, there's also nothing that definitively says there's not one coming.

8. power

power Member

l_ QuadX_l and darknebula like this.
  9. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

What effects do you anticipate Apple rolling their own CPU and GPU to have on the regular PC business to see this as a bad thing? Other than there being nobody buying Radeon GPUs now :D.

Apple vs PC platform choice will probably be more akin to what it was back in PowerPC days and it’s not like that hurt the x86 PC industry.

10. power

power Member

because they are proprietary EVERYTHING.

got a connector, here's a version of it that costs 10 times more.

etc.

they are much bigger, uglier and more aggressive than the PPC days now.

11. RnR

RnR Member

Hackingtoshes will become impossible. But that would the case anyways with the Apple CPU's.

12. Perko

Perko Member

Yeah those new consoles are all going to be running on APUs right?

13. ecroF

ecroF Member

Yeah will its the end users fault they lose their data, they should have apple care and an icloud subscription.

14. power

power Member

data isn't lost, it's the user looking at it wrong.

15. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

What have you got against USB-C and Thunderbolt?

16. power

power Member

you think they won't change to a proprietary standard given the chance?

look at their history. it's there for all to see.

17. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Yeah how dare Apple build the products the way they want with their own resources instead of relying on Intel and AMD like everyone else :lol:

I am glad to see a company doing it different instead of doing the same as everyone else. It will finally seperate Macs from PC's and make them their own unique product. If this will be for better or worse, time will tell but I think they will be far better off than they are now.

If it was any other company cutting ties with Intel, people would be applauding them, but alas blind Apple hate, people can't stand the fact that they do stuff they hate and succeed as a result
    Lightning was invented because microUSB and miniUSB were shit and everyone knows it. USB-C came after the fact and yes is a worthy rival to lightning in some aspects. At the same time I completely understand Apple not going to USB-C yet on their phones because either way people will lynch them either by making them have to buy new cables / accessories or sticking with lightning and sooking that its proprietary.

18. Perko

Perko Member

That's some serious projecting/straw-manning there. If "any other company" cut ties with Intel, they'd be either going with AMD or their own silicon like Apple are. They'd be pulled apart in just the same way too based on the possible performance outcomes, nothing more or less.
    The more specific complaints around proprietary/walled garden issues with Apple is because at least some part of it is aimed at locking Windows out of the Mac platform, and finally seeing off Hackintoshes, which have largely grown in number due to anemic hardware offerings from Apple.

I personally think it will be a mixed bag in the medium term, because while their ARM architecture is formidable, it's just a CPU, and in the market that Apple largely operate in these days, GPU compute is king. They really aren't going to offer anything to the genuine high end user going forward, (when I say high end user, I mean in terms of large scale operations with hard time constraints rather than subjectively "talented" or whatever gets single operator peoples' backs up). So I can see a future where the hackintoshes that are currently showing up on the OS breakdowns taken from browsers etc will either have to be replaced with genuine Macs, or moved to Linux or Windows based workstations. That will show a reduction in MacOS' already floundering market share imo. As to whether it's a success from Apple's perspective, I guess that'll depend on the actual hardware sales and the increased margin for each machine cutting Intel out of the loop, because they really don't give two shits about the user outcomes from what I've seen from them over the last 7 or 8 years.

I don't really see why people have an issue with Lightning either, I mean the cable I got with my iPad was an utter piece of cheap shit, but since replacing it, I don't have any issue with the actual port/jack system.

19. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I don't know where everyone gets this idea that Apples market share has been drying up, people seem to assume that everyone is jumping ship when it is simply not the case. Apple market share has been relatively stable over the last decade and grown in the US. I think their marketshare will grow significantly if they offer a real desktop platform with power consumption more like an iPad where PC land flat out cannot compete with Intel silicon. Microsofts efforts into ARM are a pipe dream that will never get the traction it needs.

You like to think Apple are bleeding customers because its suits the narrative that everyone hates Apple but it is simply... wrong.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  20. demiurge3141

demiurge3141 Member

They will fail miserably. Dumping my aapl shares right now.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.