1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to Announce its own Mac Processor

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by aokman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

I think it is capable gaming machine.
    But hold out for review to come out before jumping the gun.

2. CZA

CZA Member

My current MacBook Air plays civ 6 reasonably.
    But I’m looking forward to putting this beast through its paces!

D6E8C944-199C-4721-ABB0-DAF9B885CEDF.jpeg

I wish I’d just ordered that morning though, the queue’s grown to a month in the last 24 hours.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN and jars121 like this.
  3. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

I have a habit of getting a new one every 2 years. Can't help myself, so I steer clear of getting a specced out machine. I'm thinking the base M1 Max and trying this route though (keep 5 years).

4. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah., I need to remind myself that a Macbook air is plenty for my needs, and I'm getting the Pro for the long term benefits (ie - it won't struggle, and still perform well enough in 4-5 years)., and for the extra ports. Though, ffs, why no USB-A? Still gonna need a dongle for that odd thing that has no USB-C.

My 2014 Macbook Air has been going since... Erm... 2014. So if I can get 5 good years out of a $3500 machine (my guess at the price without speccing it up yet), I think I'll be pretty happy bang/buck wise.

Z...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
  5. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

If I could trust myself to keep a machine that long I'd definitely feel comfortable spending that much initially. The problem in my case is I can't be trusted so it's just burning money.

These new SOCs look super good and the new design is really appealing. I got a M1 MBP this year so I have zero justification.

6. CZA

CZA Member

My last macbook before my current M1 was a 2015 MBP. It lasted me 6 years handling the same workloads as it did when I got it. But the prospect of being able to edit and grade 4K footage on a cheap laptop instead of my desktop was too great. Now if I can also run solidworks via parallels, maybe some small data set neural network training and the occasional game, I can dispense with desktops entirely. And given I don't game very much, if it can handle this workload now I'm sure I'll be happy with it in 4-5 years.

Also I bought my M1 planning to see if the new MBP was going to be a worthwhile upgrade and sell if it was. And it looks like I'll recoup most of the cost!

7. ndr2h

ndr2h Member

Owned a 2012 Macbook Pro 15" (first Retina model). Had it for probably 8 years and it lasted and performed well - had its quirks in the end and the battery was cactus. Think it's now being used as a couch web surfer by a fellow OCAU'er now so possibly still going.... Switched to a 16" last year and that's been solid as a rock. These look amazing and have great machine learning potential from what I can see. Why did they have to do this!!! My poor finances..... :D

8. alexc

alexc Member

I'm doing the same...

Looking at the 14", then thinking I may as well spec up the M1 Max, and suddenly I'm closing in on $5K...

I've got an M1 Mac Mini. Performance wise it's totally fine! More than enough for me.

I've got a separate gaming PC.

I was waiting for these, but now I'm been tempted to go Dual Wielding!

Keep using the Mac mini as a desktop, and get an MBA on the side...

And around and around I go!

Also, don't forget to order from the EDU store!

I'll organise my options in this post, might help me decide!

• Things I need
      Dual display support.
      Triple would be nice.
      I have 3x 4K displays.
      DisplayLink isnt good with 4K displays and the M1 right now

16GB + RAM
      1TB+ SSD
    • MacBook Air
      Apple M1 chip with 8‑core CPU, 8‑core GPU and 16‑core Neural Engine
      16GB unified memory
      1TB of SSD storage
      A$2,239.00 EDU

and I keep my M1 Mac mini.
      Which is the 8/256 model, and meant to be a stopgap.
      I was going to stick it in my server cabinet...

• 14" MBP - Base Model
      16/1TB
      $3,039 EDU

At that price, is there any point in the MBA?
      $800 isn't no money...

• 14" MBP - M1 Max
      32/1TB
      $4,259 EDU

Now I'm really getting up there on price!

So I think, how about a 16"!
      Bigger display makes a nice 3rd desktop monitor!

• 16" MBP - Base Model
      16/1TB
      $3,749 EDU

M1 Max isn't too much more money and you get 32GB RAM!

• 16" MBP - M1 Max
      32GB/1TB
      $4,559 EDU

• So looking at the options for my web developer / digital marketing workflows, the 16" Base with a 1 TB upgrade is maybe the best value!

But then do I really want a chungus laptop!

The screen is nice when presenting to clients!

But the smaller 14" is so much more usable when travelling!

But now looking at the base 16", I think well.. fuck it, may as well get the M1 Max upgrade!

The 2TB is only another $540... may as well and Oh Hello $5,000!!!

Or just get the 14" base and save ~$1,500....

Arrrrggghhhhhh! LOL :-D
    Anyone can get EDU pricing I think. Decent savings on these new MBPs!
    https://www.apple.com/au-hed/store

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  9. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Totally - The 2012 Retina has got to be one of the best buys of all time, almost 10 years later and it's still a viable daily driver. I know plenty of people who still use them every day.

alexc and ndr2h like this.
  10. CZA

CZA Member

alexc likes this.
  11. alexc

alexc Member

Sounds about right based on the claims!

Even if it's in the same ballpark, thats just incredible!

And here's the thing: If you could actually install and play the popular Games on macOS, then this would be the Gaming Laptop to have!

Sure, there might be faster gaming laptops, bigger screens, more RGB, bigger keyboards... but those laptops can be massive, heavy, and run super hot!

I've handled Alienware gaming laptops... they are kinda impressive, but plasticy and heavy and just kinda blurgh.

You wouldnt really want to take an AW beast into a bizness meeting!

With a MacBook you can be business in front and party in back!

12. jars121

jars121 Member

Hah my main enterprise laptop is an Alienware, and I can confirm that I usually get looks/comments when I whip it out.

13. Malakai

Malakai Member

My last Macbook Pro purchase was mid 2010, upgraded it to SSD a few years in and I used that daily for over five years. Haven't used it much in the last five years though due to having so many other computers. 3rd world problems hey. These new M1 systems have got me really excited for a new Macbook Pro purchase. I'm looking at a base model 14", 16GB with upgrade to 1TB. I work in IT and 99% of the systems we support are Windows but I've told my manager that I'm going to daily a Mac for work, he said "okay". If I can't convince them to get me one I'll get one myself, I haven't told them that though.

I've been looking at all the information about Parallels Desktop v17 and Windows 11 and it is promising. This is a configuration that I could run with for years. Pretty exciting stuff.

14. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

With the right GPU grunt, Mac gaming could be a real thing as the platform variations are limited and scalable for developers…

Still got my 2015 Retina for work… IT keep hounding me to upgrade it but it wont die and the battery life is still decent… :lol:

Think ill stick to base model 16” after snapping out of it… with EDU pricing its a good saving.

alexc likes this.
  15. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Ended up ordering the 16” base with 1TB upgrade… happy with everything else on it. To be honest I use external storage most of the time anyways but im hoping for a 5yr life minimum… Seems reasonable based on M1 so far…

EDU pricing portal was a nice saving :)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    alexc, spectre_666 and sickbunny like this.
  16. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

When will it be shipped out? Keen to see reviews. While the M1 Air is perfect for me I always enjoy new shiny stuff. Looking at the base model 14” Pro… I hate that I’m tempted to upgrade the CPU/GPU based on its slim chance of being able to play games :lol:

alexc likes this.
  17. Zee

Zee Member

If anyone out there has tried Fusion and/or Parallels, I'd be curious how it went on an M1.

I'm ashamed to say, I'm kinda hoping it'll be able to play *some* windows games via Fusion/Parallels - eventually. Better yet, actual proper Mac release of most titles.

Z...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    alexc likes this.
  18. teej

teej Member

I don't think I'd bet on that. Fusion and Parallels only offer ARM VMs, and the Windows' x86 translator doesn't translate everything. Rosetta doesn't either but while it's around it does make WINE another option to try too. That's not to say no games will run, just ya know, keep expectations low to avoid disappointment.

alexc likes this.
  19. alexc

alexc Member

I suppose with Gaming, there is always https://cloud.gg/

Which I havent tried, but a mate was on the beta. He said it was pretty decent all things considered!

Not great for all you pro twitch gamers, but if you are buying a MacBook and wondering if you can game, then you probably arnt Bugha getting sweaty in teh Fortnites!

20. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

yeah def not a twitch streamer haha… just like the idea of playing Total War every now and then. I’ll check out cloud gg. Same with GeForce now! Spose the argument that I could get away with an M1 is pretty strong… but.. new tech :lol:

alexc likes this.