1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to Announce its own Mac Processor

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by aokman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Zee

Zee Member

Well, that is how I am looking at it. I do have a gaming PC for the purpose, this will be a work oriented laptop, but it would be nice to play some decent games whilst on the go - on rainy weekends and the like.

Edit - one thing that keeps me in the 14" mindset, is the memories of travel, and people almost crushing my Macbook Air when slamming the seat back (yes, cattle class are my people), so not sure I'd want a 16" when I start flying again.

Z...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

WINE won't translate ARM to x86. It's only higher level POSIX to Win32/Win64/WoW64. (CPU bitness and architecture needs to match).

There is a project called Box86 which does ARM to WIN32, but I have no idea if anyone had tried porting it to Mac (or even if it can be):
    https://github.com/ptitSeb/box86

3. teej

teej Member

Yes that's what the part of the sentence that was omitted from the quote indicated. :lol:

The Hangover project had this update in January: "Neither of us has the necessary hardware yet, and 16kb pages will be a major problem." https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover/issues/97 That's probably where a lot of these sorts of projects are at.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Apologies. I was posting late after a long week, lacking in sleep.

5. PrawnBoy

PrawnBoy Member

Randomly just chiming in as I just bought an M1 MBA for work. Absolutely love it. Fantastic little laptop. Couldn't wait for the next gen as I was in need asap of a replacement device.
    Installed Win 11 for Arm on parallels and installed some x64 apps and work flawlessly! Very happy.

6. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

The 14 was very tempting not gonna lie but for photo editing, the 13 has been too cramped for me…

Things are changing for me and after these lockdowns etc im planning my exodus from Australia. Start selling off my desktop rigs and working from a mobile powerhouse I can take with me :)

7. digamma

digamma Member

Oh God, I did it. I made the jump from windows to mac. With a 16 inch macbook pro, M1 Max, w/ 24 core gpu and 32gig of memory. What have I done? And to top it off, I also got an ipad mini to go with it coz I like the idea of being able to move stuff between the screens. I've dabbled a little with a second hand 2010 imac running high sierra, but this is huge and kinda scary. For the amount of coin I've just put down, I'm not going to be able to face the Minister of Finance and tell her I'm not loving my new toys. And I sold her on this by saying I'll have it for at least 5 years, maybe even 8 or 10 (to justify the extra on the c/gpu). I blame my best mate for this. He has a 2019 macbook pro and just loves the thing to death. What I'm kinda bummed about is the touchbar being removed. I really liked that idea. It's a shame it was never developed further.

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Remember that if you bought it from apple you have 2 weeks no questions asked return policy if you decide you don’t want it

aokman likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I hope all are using EDU pricing portals ;)

10. Zee

Zee Member

The problem with the touch bar, for me, is that it replace a whole bunch of really useful keys that I never needed to look at to use, and then, all of a sudden, I need to look down. Had it been placed above the F keys...

Z...

11. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

AOC in particular… good deal through that edu portal.

12. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Small world…. ;)

13. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Far out that AOC discount... ~$600 for the spec I'm fantasising about.

14. sickbunny

sickbunny Member

haha very small world indeed.

15. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

you both talking about the OzBargain post? I’m still yet to order… long wait times so figured might wait til it chills a bit or when a few reviews come out to validate my ‘need’ lol.

16. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Droooooool…

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    passwordistaco likes this.
  17. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

If you are a content creator and such videographer, this will be a no brainer buy.
    For the average joe. This seems like excessive, but a drool tech.
    I only use my pc for normal things, I will evaluate what I should buy.

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Im sort of in 2 worlds currently but I chose the new chips for the future proofing as base M1 while still brilliant is due for a refresh now and don’t really want to drop the money on it.

These new Macbooks will be a hit for creators though…

19. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

Wait for the refresh Macbook air is probably a wise idea.
    Maybe it is the sweet spot for the average joe.
    If it is nearly as powerful when you spec it out. If it is even 50% better than last year 2020 version.

20. passwordistaco

passwordistaco Member

Watch Dave2Ds vid… his last few words have made me rethink this purchase- haha!

If anyone has an MBP Or MBA M1 for sale hit me up.. keen to know prices.