1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to Announce its own Mac Processor

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by aokman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

The thing is the Pro models have thrown a spanner in this because surely Apple cannot release a base chip like M2 that will complete with them now?

2. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

they can leave out important codec like PRORES encoder and decoder.
    2 efficiency cores and 6 performance cores = total of 8 cores.
    Limit it to 8 core GPU.

3. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

4. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

They'll probably do what they do basically every year with the iPad Pro
    Pros get the chip X, next years non Pro gets a modified version of chip X and the Pro goes to chip Y (X +1)

5. digamma

digamma Member

Is it 2 weeks from the date of order or date of delivery? The time between them is about a month at this point. I'll have to look into that, but I doubt I won't like it. Just hurts a bit spending that much on a laptop when I didn't even spend that much on the last two TV's combined!

EDIT: "For eligible products, you have up to 14 calendar days from the time you receive your item(s) to initiate a return." from the apple website T&C.

Of course. I've still got access to my uni email and the missus is a teacher. What I didn't know was that education pricing doesn't apply to school aged students, only to 18+.
    I hadn't considered it that way. But that's a pretty good idea about placing it above the F key row. Plenty of real estate on the deck of a 16 inch macbook.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  6. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Don’t think you even need an edu email to get edu store pricing

7. CZA

CZA Member

8. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

It's running through an emulation layer so to be expected. That's why I raised an eyebrow when whoever it was in this thread was saying it should perform well. Majority of AAA games don't support ARM and likely won't for a very long time.

ndr2h likes this.
  9. millsy

millsy Member

I'm no apple fanboi but apple ever advertise _gaming_ performance? I'd only noticed claims around GPU performance, which is not the same thing

[KEi]SoVeReIgN likes this.
  10. digamma

digamma Member

It wasn't a requirement to order, but I was told over the two orders I made that I may be randomly audited to check that I was eligible (well, that the wife is, cough cough). (Made 2 orders for salary sacrificing purposes. Can't buy two substantially similar items on the one salary).

The gaming performance, even though there aren't as many titles for Apple, will continue to grow simply because market share will grow, and continue to grow. With the performance figures they are advertising, PLUS the low power draw, who isn't going to want a piece of that? A computer that is ALMOST as good as the most power hungry Nvidia or AMD chips, and uses less power? What isn't to love about that? A laptop that will give you a run time for the whole flight from Australia to the UK or USA? Who won't want to have that as a business traveller? This is going to shake things up, probably not as much as the tech press is making it out to be, but this is just the start.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

It's not going to "shake things up" outside prosumer . it's too expensive and heavy. The Air has more chance of that. If they released a 14" version of that would fill a nice gap for business (13" can be a tad small)
    It's also nowhere near the level of 'the most power hungry AMD or Nvidia chips '

12. [KEi]SoVeReIgN

[KEi]SoVeReIgN Member

Not feasible to replace a gaming PC with an ARM Mac - The hardware is designed for productivity/media over gaming, X86 emulation is too big of a performance penalty and there just aren't enough developers focused on AAA titles of the platform.

I'm optimistic this may change over time as these M1 variations raise the GPU baseline for developers to target on the platform, but that's probably a long while away. Although there are good signs already

It's always been the case but it's becoming clearer and clearer as processor manufacturers mature and target their designs rather than just adding raw horsepower, people need to be aware of your workloads and what hardware best accelerates their work.

13. digamma

digamma Member

Yeah, I'll give you that. A 14 inch air would be good, BUT then they wouldn't really need a 14 inch mbp. The purchase business case would get more difficult to justify. Apple's business case is perfect; it gets people in both segments, more than who would buy it if there was only one device to choose from.

What I meant was that if Apple can get this level of performance and such a low level of power, imagine what could be done if they went for a full-on watt-for-watt level chip. That could be nuts to behold. Or even if it had the power availability and cooling of a desktop.

14. CZA

CZA Member

True, but the nonspecific claims of being on par with an RTX 3080 (not a workstation card but a gaming card) made me think this would be on par in the typical workloads of an RTX 3080. I knew it would be a little under, but not this much.
    I never intended it to be a gaming laptop, but i was definitely willing to pay that premium if it doubled as one. For now I’ll stick to my M1 Air for video editing/music/general purpose work, and continue to remote into my desktop pc for heavier CAD work and the occasional game.

15. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I think its way too early to draw conclusions as nothing is really optimised for the core counts yet and there is also other GPU related tasks other than gaming…

Typical render performance optimised for Apple silicon will likely crush a 3080. Then you need to factor in the tiny power envelope comparatively.

ndr2h likes this.
  16. mesaoz

mesaoz Member

Thermal throttling on a laptop using only a soc would be interesting to see compared to a full power dedicated gpu with beefy cooling, that was always a pretty big limiting factor with MacBooks and iMacs before

17. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

The Macbook Pro 16 gets a high performance turbo mode also for performance at the expense of noise which I doubt many are testing or aware of yet.

18. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

I ended up getting the mid tier 16inch model. Strangely enough the cycle count is 12 already which I think is weird. Anyone else have a similar cycle count?

19. cbwolf

cbwolf Member

Ordered a 14" M1 Max today, 32GB ram and 1TB SSD. Going to take a month to get delivered apparently - but looking forward to it. Prices are a bit exorbitant I've got to say though.

20. Zee

Zee Member

Exactly! The concept was not bad, just the execution could be seen as lacking.

Z...