1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Apple to Announce its own Mac Processor

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by aokman, Jun 10, 2020.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

They've very carefully selected their wording here. They've never come out and said specifically that anything is gaming related, but there have been very specific performance comparisons with cards that are clearly gamer cards.

They're not putting non-gaming/professional cards like Quadros on their comparison charts, for example.

I was curious to see where that would go. I might have my criticisms of Apple, but I can't and won't criticise them for not being a gaming device. It's clear this new generation of hardware was never designed for that (not yet at least, who knows what the future will bring). But I think their early benchmarks really needed to be a bit more obvious in exactly what they were testing, as the inevitable result was going to be a lot of pissed off people who assumed something that wasn't necessarily documented, but rather inferred.

The same goes for CPU power. I know quite a few developers who have been grossly disappointed in compiler times because of Apple's very vague synthetic/numeric comparisons that don't take into account specific real world needs. And again, you can absolutely blame individuals for assuming what wasn't expressly stated. But I think Apple marketing need to be careful, and perhaps a little more technically specific than the have up to date.

With all of that said, I'm still keen to see various emulators and visualisation tools on this hardware. And for no useful reason, other than I'm just curious.

2. millsy

millsy Member

I took it as a comparison of compute performance, as elvis notes, they've not compared to a professional workstation card, which for a 'professional' machine is baffling. But then again, 'pro' in apple lingo hasn't meant what it used to

elvis likes this.
  3. teej

teej Member

It's still unclear to me as to how well Apple silicon machines work for development purposes. I've seen a few Apple-focused developers complain about multicore performance but who otherwise seem happy, so I guess if you only target Apple platforms this new round of machines is probably a good fit overall. They're probably fine for front-end web devs, and back end web dev in high level languages. I'm not sure beyond that though. Is anyone here building for Android, Windows, or Linux from an Apple silicon machine?

4. elvis

As you mentioned, it depends on the development task and language. The folks I know who are doing light web UX, Python scripting, etc were all pretty happy. But honestly their stuff could run on a Raspberry Pi. Folks compiling large C/C++/Swift binaries by comparison have all mentioned a downgrade.

I consult to a few large scale data science groups, none of whom are developing on Mac. So I can't comment on it for that industry.

There used to be a day when these folks wrote code on lightweight machines, and pushed the code to beefier compile machines. That shouldn't be a thing in the age of multi core and gobs of RAM, but it still seems necessary for larger projects.

I can only speak to what I've seen, but all the folks I've seen complaining are building stuff for Mac or iOS. The very large projects tend to be multi platform, and they're compiling on a Mac because they need Mac binaries.

Buying a Mac Pro is ludicrously expensive, so most are going Mac Book to have a nice laptop with good battery life, even if the sacrifice is slow compiling.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  5. Slavetonet

Slavetonet Member

I am guessing most of the people posted here that bought one macbook pro.
    You guys actually use it for work mostly?
    This chip is a work horse for video industry.

6. teej

teej Member

I'm not sure compilation speed will be the only problem. Microsoft's description of Visual Studio on ARM doesn't sound rosy, and last I checked Android Studio needed work (slow, NDK broken). Linux VMs will be okay though I'm not sure the coverage and fuzz tools I use will work; although admittedly fuzz and coverage doesn't matter much as I don't tend to run them locally. For that matter I also don't work with Windows or Android all that much. I guess it's probably time I bought a Mac mini to see how Apple silicon works in practice.

7. elvis

With working ARM binary distro releases already out there, as well as active efforts to port Linux to M1's specific characteristics (more a kernel thing, but it will help virtualisation somewhat too), I think Linux VMs will be OK for anyone who needs them.

Devil's advocate though - it takes time to convert a large volume of users to "new" architecture (not that ARM is new, per se, but it's definitely different for a generation stuck on Wintel). With that said, things like "no Vulkan" as a first-party stance irritates me quite a bit, and needing to rely on MoltenVK doesn't satisfy me. That's a terrible business decision for no reason other than politics and pride.

flu!d likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Bit of a teardown… the new ones are monsters compared to the old model… Great review / comparison anyways

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
  9. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Super detailed comparison

10. ohayes

ohayes Member

Greatest laptop ever made without a doubt

11. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

FYI Goodguys have 10% off all Macbooks including new models, moved my order to them hoping I dont have to wait until end of November…

Im curious what everyone is using for docks these days? Some good options but would like dual displayport outputs with a decent number of USB ports. Dell and Lenovo have some but compatibility might be an issue.

alexc likes this.
  12. Zee

Zee Member

Having seen a few videos now, I'm glad they went with the thicker design. The super thin phone trend has been driving me mad for a while now, as the result is everyone carrying around battery bricks - which kinda defeats the purpose.

If I want slim and light, the M1 Air and M1 Pro are great options, I'll take the the thickness hit for the extra grunt of the Pro/Max range.

z...

13. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Its interesting as I’m in 2 minds with them. Love the new Macbook Pro but at the same time I dont care about the SD card reader especially or magsafe though I welcome them back… I hope they keep a 13” slimmer Macbook Pro around for those who don’t want the Chonkbook Pro.

I will miss the thin design for travel portability honestly but if thats what it took for the new display and power then all good but seems odd they couldn’t fit it in the old chassis either.

14. Zee

Zee Member

As a photographer, I do welcome the SD slot, but... By not adding a USB A slot, they've kinda defeated the purpose, as now I need to carry around a dongle anyway. I've got plenty of USB-A/USB-C combi sticks now, but every so often I still get handed a USB-A key for whatever reason, and have to pull out the dongle to deal with it.

Love Magsafe, it was a job site lifesaver, and I do know at least Macbook Airs where one of the USB-C ports no longer charges due to (what I think is) poor handling, and one Macbook Pro with both ports no longer working for charging. I've never witnessed a Magsafe fail (though they do need a clean every so often), and we've gone through about 100 of the old Macbook Airs at the office over the years (most still going strong).

I certainly welcome the ability to charge with USB-C as well as Magsafe, it means I can take just one charger for my iPad, Macbook and iPhone. Now, if only the iPhone had a USB-C port instead of lightning... Maybe the iPhone 14...

Z...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
  15. 605jimmy

605jimmy Member

Anyone find an ETA for shells/skins from manufacturers?

16. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

I love my SD card reader for photography also but don't want to be married to it too much as SD is slowly dying away for high MP / high FPS cameras

17. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah, agreed, I would have preferred USB-A, but alas...

Regardless, I'll take it, though looks like it'll be early next year before I pick one up (something about no income for nearly 2 years due to some virus or some such).

Z...

18. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Another deep review

alexc likes this.
  19. alexc

alexc Member

Amazon had the same deal.

It's now ended.

Although Amazon still have 11% off the older M1 MBP 13".

Hopefully it will come back around - I'm on the fence, but leaning towards a 16" M1 Max at this point!

These new MBPs must be selling like hotcakes!

Amazon seemed to be sold out almost as soon as the 10% deal went live!

20. OP
    OP
    aokman

aokman Member

Microsoft Surface gets annihilated… :lol: