Apple Vs Intel Conroe for graphic design

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Hamulus, Nov 8, 2006.

1. LeFtBehinD

LeFtBehinD Member

If you are working in multiple programs and browser windows, which you would be a lot in design, then the macs window management is very awkward and tiresome. In windows you have the task bar which you can see that every window is open. In OSX you can only see what programs are open by the black arrow in their quick launch bar. Anything else you have open is lost in the background.

Also Apple software doesn't fill the entire screen. Like if you were working in PS you can see whatever is behind the program where no space is taken up and therefore if you accidentally click on this space the program will disappear. I know you can switch a file to full screen but then you are unable to work on multiple files at once.

Its just stuff like that that I think will really annoy someone that has primarily worked in Windows.

Again its only little things that annoy me about OSX, im not saying macs are bad. :p

2. AusKWiKsAnD

AusKWiKsAnD Member

I used to think the same thing, but this actually seems to make a lot more sense now, with high resolution and widescreen monitors. I treat my desktop more and more like a stack of windows now and use the task bar less and less. I tend to have windows plastered everywhere, there's nothing weirder than browsing in a 1920x1200 firefox window :p

3. LeFtBehinD

LeFtBehinD Member

Yeah I use 1680*1050 myself at home so im no stranger to widescreen. I dont want it to turn into a flame war, although it kinda already has :p but arent we trying to help out this guy with what would suit him best?

In saying that Id have both a mac and PC if I could afford it, but I cant so Id rather have a PC by itself than a mac.

4. Adeptus

Adeptus Member

With BootCamp, isn't a mac essentially "both a mac and a PC"?

5. FantoM_CircuiT

FantoM_CircuiT Member

Tried Expose? imho window managment in osx is a lot better; Switching between aps is much easier using Expose. Though I agree, before Expose it was a bit of a nightmare.

The maxamise feature is far more intelligent than in windows. it will make the document window big enough for the document, no more and no less. Thus, you have optimal screen real-estate useage (particularly important with massive screens).

6. scruff

scruff RIP

There should be an option to choose. Personally the maximize thing now shits me to tears and I end up dragging all my apps fullscreen anyway. And whats the deal with firefox wanting to be in a 768x768 square?

7. bigred

bigred Member

I dunno but i'll throw in my 0.02 cents

I've just switched to a macbook pro c2d a few weeks ago. Little under 12 months ago, I was giving my mate shit for being a mac user.

To all the people that say that they have no respect for apple because they control the hardware and the software (ie restricting the OS to their hardware) is silly. Clearly people still want to buy their products, so I don't see the problem with that. If you don't want to pay for the products, then you don't have to. If your not willing to pay the additional cost then thats a personal perrogative.

Anyone can goto MSY and build their own system, for 60 percent cost of a pre-built machine from Dell, IBM, and Apple included. What is lacking is the finished feel of a product, regardless of how customised it is.

I will agree, that for outright customiseability, PC's will, simply because of such a big selection of choice. That's why I still use my desktop. But in terms of a finsihed product, the Mac setup is fantastic. It took a few days to get used to, but simply it is a fantastic user expereince.

In the two weeks that I have owned the Mac, I havn't needed to reboot the machine. I've simply put it to sleep and thrown it into my bag. How many windows laptops can you honestly say can do that everyday without everntually having a resume fail. And I don't have to put AV on the laptop... theres no magical reason for Mac's resistance to spyware or virii... its because OSX uses a security model, thats based on Unix.

I think that if you mate can afford it, they should definately get the mac. It'll run and they won't have to care about keeping the machine spyware free... there arnt many non savvy computer users that can do that.

8. mordy

mordy Member

/me puts up hand.

i barely ever restart my portege m200 just hibernate and throw it in the bag. honestly i never intentionally restart it. Its been like this for years now.

9. scruff

scruff RIP

For instance?

10. Adeptus

Adeptus Member

http://www.claymania.com/unix-viruses.html

11. |guanA

|guanA Member

Forgive me i've just jumped into this thread without reading the other posts.

Here is my advice if you'll take it.

If he is just doing a course in graphic design get a PC, its alot more cost effective and will be able to use the PC for games, and other apps, software function wise, there isnt much difference at all. The only thing he'd have to work around is fonts.

If he can invest in a zippy PC, with decent CPU, Ram and Video Card (there is no need getting dedicated graphics video card) it would be more than enough to handle the stuff he'd be doing in his course.

I would only suggest getting a MAC based system if he is venturing into the professional world. It will be alot more easier dealing with printers, other designers etc with mac's.

More likely than not, if he is going to work for a design studio or agency, he would already have access a MAC system from work.

To conclude, I would advise to only invest on a MAC if you have been more exposed to the professional side of the design industry. Otherwise you're just throwing money down the gurgle.

12. AusKWiKsAnD

AusKWiKsAnD Member

Hey hey! We agree.

I do the same thing with my Dell Latitude.

Basically the only time I restart it (as opposed to coming out of hibernation or suspension) is when I swap between linux and Windows. I've never had a problem with it at all.

13. octy

octy Member

This is totally the wrong approach. Get him a mac, if he ever works in graphic design, thats what he will be using. OSX on a PC isn't for anyone but very technical people who are prepared to put up with the hacks and bugs, so don't think that he can just choose the OS after you buy him a thrown together PC.
    Also if you are comparing the price of a custom built PC to an Imac, I hope you are including 17" widescreen LCD and a legal copy of the operating system and a good quality keyboard and optical mouse, because otherwise its apples and oranges.

14. octy

octy Member

Yes, and with parallels, it can be both at once.

15. bigred

bigred Member

I said resistance. Never said never :)

The fact is there will always be security vulnerabilities for any operating system. You cannot argue that there are far less for any Unix based ones.

16. Dedge

Dedge Member

I *cannot* imagine using OS X or my Linux desktop without "Expose" or "All Windows" respectively. It has to be the "easiest" method for managing windows.

Taskbars and Panels? Hello, and welcome to yesterday.

17. LeFtBehinD

LeFtBehinD Member

While I wasn't familiar with what "expose" was, now I know its just when you press the F9 button :p I still dont understand how having to press a button on the keyboard then click with the mouse on the desired window is more efficient than clicking once with your mouse on the task bar?

Although being able to tile all open windows in a program is pretty cool, I dont think the one above is any better.

18. Dedge

Dedge Member

F9 is the default button to trigger All Windows. You can easily bind it to a convenient button on your mouse, or a hot corner on the screen. Personally, the bottom left hand corner activates All Windows and the bottom right hand corner activates Show Desktop. Middle clicking my scroll wheel also activates All Windows. Therefore, without even having to move your mouse to a taskbar/panel, you can simply click the button and bang, all your windows are placed in front of you. I think alot of Windows users are stuck in this "Must use a taskbar/panel" mindset, I know I was.

19. swipe

swipe (Banned or Deleted)

The neat thing about binding all windows to a corner of the screen is that drag and drop operations become a cinch. Eg: drag an image from Safari to the corner of your screen, mouse over a previously hidden Word window or whatever and then drop it where you want it. It doesn't get much more fluid than that.

20. nexx

nexx Member

Neither OS is better. The biggest factor imo is what you are used to...and what programs you'll be using (such as OSX or PC only applications).

We had G5's at uni and I fucking hated them. Mostly due to the poor setups and abundance of 1 button mice. They looked pretty, but the workflow is different and my productivity took a serious hit. It takes some getting used to.