Apple Watch 1 (and 2)

Discussion in 'Apple iOS (OS & Devices)' started by MR CHILLED, Feb 15, 2013.

1. G-PhresH

G-PhresH Member

I kind of doubt that, especially if they change the internals or externals at all.

I think if you buy the $14k watch, you are stuck. Stiff shit if a better one comes out next year.

2. Hater

Hater Member

I think the main point of contention is that it'll be around $599 for the super shitty plastic sport version... The cheapest one.

I wouldn't want the plastic one, i'd want the silver one, and $1600? For what?

3. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

For me, and prob most people, the gold one is irrelevant. The silver one is the issue, $1600 for a watch that will be useless after a few years is a real issue. I am sure it could be resold but going off the moto360, the price will be a fraction of the initial outlay. So doing that ever 2-3 years is going to add up.

4. clonex

clonex Member

the next version will use a different docking connectors :D

5. ItsDanK

ItsDanK Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  6. Hater

Hater Member

The back of it is a complete rip off of the Omega Speedmaster.

7. holdennutta

holdennutta Member

Apple iWatch

What? The back of my speed master looks nothing like the apple watch?

Unless you mean the apple watch has an inscription about being flight qualified by NASA and a picture of a dragon?

8. Hater

Hater Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really want a Speedmaster now. I'm jealous.

9. jlien

jlien Member

Spot rate for gold at the moment is approximately $1.1k USD / Oz.

How many Oz. of gold in their watch? probably 2-3 tops.
    Which would explain 3-5k of the pricetag, the rest is markup.

From a investment perspective, you'd be far better off to buy a basic iwatch and a 10 Oz. bar of gold.

10. power

power Member

pretty sure that's what you mean!!

11. Slugoid

Slugoid Member

Sport version looks cheap, stainless steel version is too expensive for what it's worth and the gold one....well, only those who have too much money to throw around will get one.

Nonetheless, because it's made by Apple, people will pay the premium to own it. On a broader scale, more competition is always good and this will definitely force other manufacturers to make better smart watches.

12. callan

callan Member

Didn't Apple learn anything from the U2 foistware fiasco from 2014??? This Un-deletable app forced in with IOS 8.2 hijacks your lock screen into an advertising platform, for the Apple watch. There's not even a "close" button - you HAVE to click on the "Learn More" button.

[​IMG]

Fucking nuts.

Callan

13. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

It's for use with the watch, that's how iOS works, stuff built in from Apple just comes already installed, it's a system app and also advertises, just put it a folder and forget it.

Also, no close button? How new are you to iOS, you press the home button and then double tap to close it completely, just like every other app.

14. Eimi

Eimi Member

You'll have to in a few years when the very generous 18h battery life* reduces as the non-replaceable battery wears out, and I don't see anyway for a user to service it.

*Generous when compared to other apple devices, but minuscule compared to other smart watches available now

15. hosh0

hosh0 Member

Please, Apple just patented a new way to reduce the amount of gold content in 18k gold.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2015/0...k-gold-by-half-maybe-for-apple-watch-edition/

16. The King

The King Member

It'll sell, but I'm not clear on what they're thinking.

Tech by its nature marches to obselence the moment it's release... This watch is too expensive to excuse that. I've got a $2k watch I bought five years ago, that I love; I wouldn't have bought it if it was going to be obsolete in 2 years.

These price gaps are insane.

Was waiting for this before I bought any kind of smart watch; I was intending to get the Fitbit Surge, and I will now.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  17. zehoo

zehoo Member

The gold ones are for wealthy individuals where 24,000 means nothing to them except to show that they can spend that much on a watch and it doesn't matter. The mark up on the steel watches are for the people on the next rung down that can pay the large mark up that they have on that but would a be reach to get to the gold. Meanwhile the aluminium is because they need to sell in bulk to build a user base or no one will be the other two.

18. djsherly

djsherly Member

I agree,

somewhere around 500 bucks is the outside of where I'd go for a watch which is guaranteed to become obsolete within 4 years.

I know I'll be proven wrong but I think Edition will be a flop. From my viewpoint, the differentiation just isn't there. It's the same computer in a fancier case. OTOH, that never stopped Vertu. It will be interesting to see how this foray into high end works out for Apple.

19. djsherly

djsherly Member

I don't see nothing on my lock screen except my kids and I put them there. You must be talking about the home screen.

20. mr626

mr626 Member

I'm more and more convinced that Apple have really messed this up.

Even the die hard Apple fans at work are shaking their heads at this. Much of the complaints echo what has already been mentioned in this thread, but its strange hearing them from people who usually buy anything Apple without question.

Quote of the day "If I was going to spend that much on a watch, I'd get a Rolex. Not some Dick Tracy gadget that will be out of date in a year"