Apple’s Lisa Operating System To Be Released For Free As Open Source In 2018

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Agg, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Might be of interest:

https://fossbytes.com/apples-lisa-operating-system-free-open-source-release/

More than three decades ago, Apple unveiled the Apple Lisa. It turned out to be one of the biggest flops of Apple, selling only 10,000 units; Apple spent a mammoth $150 million on R&D. Lisa, one of the first commercial computers with a GUI, also set the stage for a conflict between CEO John Sculley and Cofounder Steve Jobs. For those who don’t know, LISA stood for Local Integrated System Architecture.

This doesn’t mean that Lisa’s pioneering operating system is completely dead. Soon, in 2018, the Computer History Museum will be open sourcing the code of the Apple Lisa operating system, and you’d be able to download it for free, according to Business Insider.

adz, elvis and mwd like this.
  2. callan

callan Member

I remember when the LISA (Let's Invent Some Acronym) was gushingly reviewed by APC. at 10grand US it was never going to sell well, but it was an awesome machine. There's section of that I'd like to see: the paint program. I recall the tale that it was fitted into 30Kbytes.

Callan

3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Amazing work by the Computer History Museum. We've lost so much software to time, and they do an amazing job of contacting the right people and digging in the right places to get this stuff into the public domain.

5. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

Time to see how much was "innovation" and how much was imitation. Palo Alto.

6. ohayes

ohayes Member

Great news - the Lisa is a very interesting computer but I think it really shows what a great businessman Jack Tramiel was launching the VIC-20 and C64 lines whilst how bad a young Jobs was wasting an enormous amount of money on a computer that was too expensive to sell to anyone.