Apple's official word on iPhone 4 antenna issues

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by NuggetsMcGregor, Jul 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NuggetsMcGregor

NuggetsMcGregor Member

This is the media release they made today. Make of it what you like.
    Personally I think it's a cop-out. I certainly won't be updating my 3GS to 4.1 immediately....this time I'll wait and see what the fallout is.
    Big damage to the brand imo. Unfortunately the fanboys won't even care.

2. Aratama_Bashi

Aratama_Bashi Member

So they're brushing aside the supposed design fault by saying they made another mistake. It doesn't really do anything or say anything, but I can't say I'm surprised. Still, your hardcore fanboys will say that this solves everything...

3. frostee

frostee Member

4. arytel

arytel Member

Hmm , I do like gizmodo pic :D
    Interesting that apple were looking for an Electrical Engineer to join their antenna design group before this email.

Personally, I don't have an issue with the phone or the OS, just the bullshit hype (which can be confused with arrogance) surrounding some of their products.

5. giles666

giles666 Member

Apple are correct. All wireless devices are affected by how you hold them. If it is that big of a deal just don't bloody hold it that way or get a case.'

If you can't live with it, Apple will take the phone back within 30 days of purchase.

People are blowing a non-issue, all out of proportion.

6. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Yeah from what I've heard about it, getting a case solves the problem with reception? Or is that only somewhat effective?

7. Partha

Partha Member

It looks like some apple fanboys had enough of Steve Jobs being a messiah once they started using iPhone 4. Now 2 court cases have been filed against Apple in regards to iPhone 4 in US.

Source: http://www.fudzilla.com/mobiles/mobiles/mobiles/apple-fanboys-are-revolting

8. frostee

frostee Member

How can you seriously say that? Did you read the email exchange between Jobs and an annoyed customer? Pure arrogance on Steve's behalf.

9. HeXa

HeXa Member

you mean the FAKE email exchange?

EDIT: LOL.... appears it is 'real' again :D

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  10. frostee

frostee Member

Regardless of whether it was Steve or not, one just needs to read the official statement to see the arrogance

11. pentel88

pentel88 Member

It seems too simple then, if the antenna is perfectly ok, a new update with a new signal strength algorithm should solve the problem.

12. A.G.System

A.G.System Member

From between the FUD flying round, the pics of guys squeezing their phones so tight their fingers have gone white (no blood) and the effectiveness of places like Gizmodo (that hold no resentment whatsoever :rolleyes:) so promote articles that have no fact checking....

I think that im going to hold off judgement on both Steve Jobs and also the phone itself.

Lets see what happens once this software patch comes out before boycotting products or yelling about their failures from the mountain tops.

I like the fact that when Nokia, HTC, Samsung, Motorola, RIM, Sony etc etc release a phone that is buggy at launch people either accept it, wait for a fix or just say nothing. But as soon as its an Apple product its front page news in the blogosphere.

Either we are overly harsh towards Apple products or not harsh enough on others because we have just put up with crap for so long??

13. CAPS LOCK

CAPS LOCK Member

A software patch to fix a hardware problem :thumbdn:

looks like i'll be waiting for the second gen :lol:

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

*cough** BULLSHIT**cough** :rolleyes:

15. bakasan

bakasan Member

Wow I wonder how the fanbois will spin this. What a farce. I remember the days when MS would make a minor mistake and everyone would come down on them like a tonne of bricks but never ever did I ever read about MS trying to PR spin like this and expect their customers to be stupid enough to believe it. No iphone for me that is for sure. I don't want to be associated with the "stupids" which is what Apple must think it's customers well and truly are if you believe the rubbish statement. Neither do I wish to support the arrogance of Job's and his attitude that any fault in the product is the fault of the customer not doing it "their" way.:LOL:. All I see the "software" fix doing is masking the drop to make it look less significant. Yes to their shock and amazement they found the algorithm wrong!. I mean who was the idiot who wrote the algorithm to actuall correctly report the actual signal strength rather than some fantasy signal strenght bar that would make the product look good. Signal strength will still be a major issue in all but the strongest areas depending how you hold it.

Looks like android will be it next phone. Outside chance may be a w7 mobile but unlikely.

People keep making excuses why it's acceptable when they are under the influence of the Apple reality distortion field. I gave up on Apple being a premium product many years ago when they started being stylish. Nothing wrong with style but at least with me you have to back it up with substance, something I found lacking for the amount of money being asked. Got bitten once by the pretty style and not again. Fashion is a funny thing. People will put up with a lot to maintain an image.

16. Merudo

Merudo Member

Can't be worse than my iPhone 2g reception, hahaha

17. theicemagic

theicemagic Member

So two bars out hey?

That would explain some of those youtube videos of people loosing ALL their bars. ^O^

18. Matt_NZ

Matt_NZ Member

I'd be curious to see what it's like when it gets to other countries. For instance, I hear a common complaint from the US about the older iPhone models is that they drop calls alot - yet my 3GS here in NZ on Vodafone has never dropped a call.

19. SpudBoy

SpudBoy Member

there are times when my 3g has reception issues, but its more of a case that ballarat is BALLS on optus.

i rarely get dropouts, except in specific areas that i know has poor reception.
    tbh, i get much better reception on my iphone, then on any other phone i have had.

20. Jobe

Jobe Member

so instead of having a defective antenna, it just has a shit antenna and to stop people complaining they have decieve user by adding a few extra bar. Wow look I got full reception "hello? hello can you hear me?"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.