applications like sickbeard

Discussion in 'Newbie Lounge' started by anark1, Jan 30, 2020.

1. anark1

anark1 Member

ive been manually grabbing my torrents.

but are people on here using apps like sickbeard etc to automate this process and how to they find them?

2. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I used Sickbeard. It worked fine.
    I switched to Sonarr/Radarr. Its slightly prettier and works mostly as well.

I think I preferred Sickbeard but it was so long ago, its probably totally different now. They work well. I couldnt manually track all mine.

Dilbery and anark1 like this.
  3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I don't even know if Sickbeard even still works/supported/etc??

4. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Er, don't we have rules about this?
    https://www.overclockers.com.au/wiki/Forum_Rules

5. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

6. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

The torrents that he's acquiring automatically using utilities like Sickbeard/Radarr/Sonarr? Damn right I'm assuming that.

7. luke o

luke o Member

Personally I run a bunch of Linux virtual machines on my lab box. I use sonarr to do that, I'm subscribed to all the popular repos for about a dozen favours of Linux. Each time a new iso is released I automatically grab it and spin up a new VM install it. Works great!

karnophage and anark1 like this.
  8. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

It's not supported however still works. https://www.sickrage.ca/ this rose from its source code and is still actively supported AFAIK.

Use Sonarr/Radarr they're much better IMHO.

karnophage likes this.
  9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I'm using SickRage, and honestly don't like it. Silly things like being forced to log in to your local instance with a web account to hook up to their APIs and whatnot. Plus it's really slow on my oldish file server (even so, it's a Athlon II X4 640, 2.8GHz quad core, so it's not RPi level stuff).

But it's in and working, and I'm too lazy to test Sonarr/Radarr.

10. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Discussing torrent technology and programs etc is fine. As far as I'm aware the tools aren't illegal and do have legit uses. Discussion of specific places to get pirated content wouldn't be allowed, obviously..

karnophage and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  11. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

Torrenting itself is not illegal. It's just a type of tech, in a matter of speaking. The content that is funnelled through said means is what makes legality questionable.

12. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

Torrenting is not illegal. Let us, however, quickly check in on what Sickbeard is for....

Ah, right.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

What aren't you understanding here guy? :rolleyes:

The software can be used for legitimate purposes. Don't discuss obvious specifics and there isn't an issue. Move on.

karnophage likes this.
  14. theSeekerr

theSeekerr Member

There is no legitimate use case for Sickbeard. It is an indexing service and automated downloader for TV shows. I'm not making a moral judgement about that, but it is absurd to argue that Sickbeard is not a piracy tool.

15. alvarez

alvarez Member

Sickrage was hijacked by disgruntled developer. I would recomend you get off it as soon as possible, unless you are personally checking updates. It might be doing something malicious.

SickChill is the current community supported fork https://github.com/SickChill
    But I would use Sonarr/Radarr if I was starting from scratch.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

http://www.publicdomaintorrents.info/
    https://archive.org/details/feature_films
    https://www.vuze.com/content/

Just a few publicly available content that is open and free. How you choose to use something doesn't make the something illegal, if I use a legally registered firearm illegally the act is illegal not the firearm.

PS - I would also like to point out that format changing (video recording) a public broadcast is not illegal in Australia, so downloading a show that was broadcast on TV and watching it in your house and not distributing it is not illegal.

NB *Not legal advice... no legal counsel was sort, this is just my recollection of a debate on the subject.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  17. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Right. The program in and of itself isn't illegal and doesn't breach copyright.

18. Bass

Bass Member

Went from Sickbeard to Sickrage to Sonarr. I like Sonarr the most.. does everything I want. I'm only using public torrent sites and it seems to grab all new content fine.

19. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

Also using sickchill, if your using sickrage there are ways to force it to update to sickchill. I never bothered getting into sonarr heard it was good, but sickchill handles it all fine. The only thing it handles poorly is special stuff.